× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: LUN disappeared on ReadyNas 2312 after showing 10% storage remaining on system log

Pajuno
Aspirant

LUN disappeared on ReadyNas 2312 after showing 10% storage remaining on system log

Ready NAS was unreachable by our server before we could discover that the LUN on the machine has disappeared. The size allocated to the missing is 83TB and it appears that we can't create and format a new LUN of 83TB because it appears there are documents on the drive of the missing LUN. Is there a way out of this because we have barely used 85% of the allocated size and it baffles us when we saw 10% remaining. I really will like to know if this can be solved and also I have a screenshot of the readynas log
Message 1 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: LUN disappeared on ReadyNas 2312 after showing 10% storage remaining on system log

Are you sure it's the data volume that was down to 10%, not the OS partition?  A full OS partition can cause the NAS to become unreachable.

Message 2 of 8
Pajuno
Aspirant

Please how can I tell? I will send the system log
Message 3 of 8
Pajuno
Aspirant

Here is the system log when the issue occured  day after the installation of 120TB HDD. We consume approximately 800GB daily.

Message 4 of 8
Pajuno
Aspirant

Here is the event log from the server that connects to it.

Message 5 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

OK, that is your data volume that's nearly full, so it's not an OS partition issue.

I'm not an iSCSI user, so somebody else is going to need to jump in here at some point. 

Is the LUN thin or thick provisioned?  Do you have a snapshots enabled for the LUN?  If there is a lot of "churn" in the data, That can eat up space quickly; which is quite likely how you got where you are.  How about defrag?  Defrag plus snapshots can be even worse, though I'm not sure how they would work for iSCSI.. And any other information about other shares. LUNs, or apps may also help.

Now, why that causes the inability to access it and how to get around it, I'm afraid you'll need somebody else to help you with.  Can you download the log file .zip from the NAS?  Your best bet is probably toi ask one of the Netgear mods to analyse your logs and see if they can figure something out.

Message 6 of 8
Pajuno
Aspirant

Thick was used. Is it possobel that the OS crashed made it unaccessible?
Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Pajuno wrote:
Thick was used. Is it possible that the OS crashed made it unaccessible?

I don't use iSCSI, but it is certainly possible that the volume itself went out-of-sync when the OS crashed.  There could be some scenarios where something goes wrong with the LUN.

Your fastest way to resolve this would be to use paid support (my.netgear.com).

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements