× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Laptop has different IP address for Ready Nas Duo, forgotten password

NikonRich
Aspirant

Laptop has different IP address for Ready Nas Duo, forgotten password

Hi,

I have had to move my Nas box to a new location and after powerup is no longer accessible from my laptop. The ip address of the box is 192.168.0.59 but when I double click the shortcut on my desktop, it states it cannot locate the device at 192.168.0.51.

The .59 address is correct as confirmed br Raidar, but I cannot log into the box as the default password does not work and I cannot remember changing it (doesn't mean I havent though).

So, how do I get the laptop to look for the correct address via the shortcut and is it possible to reset the password without erasing any data on the disk?

Many thanks.

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Laptop has different IP address for Ready Nas Duo, forgotten password

@NikonRich wrote:

When I enter the address in the windows search I just get 'share requires SMB1 protocol' (no idea what this is)

SMB is the file sharing protocol that you are using when you access the NAS.  Microsoft is deprecating SMB 1 (the current version is SMB 3) - but SMB 1 is the only version your very old NAS supports.

So you need to go into "Turn windows features on or off" in the PC and enable the SMB 1 client there.  Note SMB 1 isn't secure, but IMO this is still safe on your home network (and you don't have a choice if you want to access the NAS).

@NikonRich wrote:

I can't log into the box through Raidar because the password 'netgear1' is not accepted ( the problem here is I may have changed it)

Once again - does the front panel of your NAS say "Duo" or does it say "Duo v2"?

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@NikonRich wrote:

So, how do I get the laptop to look for the correct address via the shortcut

You should reserve an IP address for the NAS in the router.  The UI for that depends on the router - but it should be possible to reserve the old IP address (192.168.0.51).   Then reboot the NAS, and it should be reassigned that address.

Or delete the shortcut, and create a new one that either uses the NAS hostname or it's new IP address.

@NikonRich wrote:

is it possible to reset the password without erasing any data on the disk?

First, if you have the original duo (says "duo" on the front panel), the default password is netgear1. If you have the v2 (says "duo v2" on the front panel), then the default password is password.

It is possible to do an OS reinstall from the boot menu - which among other things resets the admin password.  But the details depend on the NAS model.  If you aren't certain, then perhaps give us a screen snapshot from RAIDar.

Once you regain access, you should change the password from the default.  Perhaps tape it to the inside of the door of the Duo.  (Security types always cringe when I say that, but if someone has the NAS they can reset the password anyway ...).

Message 2 of 9
NikonRich
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I'm not an expert at this so although I can see that the nas is recognized by the router I do not know how to alter the ip from .59 to .51. I can also see the nas on my network devices on the laptop but cannot see how to map this to the drive?

Sorry.

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@NikonRich wrote:

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I'm not an expert at this so although I can see that the nas is recognized by the router I do not know how to alter the ip from .59 to .51. I can also see the nas on my network devices on the laptop but cannot see how to map this to the drive?

You can just access the NAS by entering \\192.168.0.59 in the windows explorer address bar.  Be careful to use the backslash - if it opens your browser, then you entered the wrong on.

And if you right-click on the desktop, and select new->shortcut, you can enter \\192.168.0.59 there.  Or alternatively \\192.169.0.59\sharename (using a real share name of course).  Then just delete the old shortcut.

The details on how to reserve an IP address depends on the router.  What manufacturer and model do you have?

Also, does your front panel say "Duo" or "Duo v2"

Message 4 of 9
NikonRich
Aspirant

Hi,

I have tried creating a shortcut but just get the 'cannot find device' message

When I enter the address in the windows search I just get 'share requires SMB1 protocol' (no idea what this is)

I can't log into the box through Raidar because the password 'netgear1' is not accepted ( the problem here is I may have changed it)

I can't undrestand why it's suddenly not working as all that has happend is the unit has been unpluged, relocated and powered up again. Raidar picked it up and showed the box going through its sync routine and now shows the two green ticks for the drives and says the system is healthy. I'm getting worried now as all my photography work is on these drives which is why I bought the box in the first place.

I'm wondering if these units are better suited for commercial rather that domestic use?

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@NikonRich wrote:

SMB is the file sharing protocol that you are using when you access the NAS.  Microsoft is deprecating SMB 1 (the current version is SMB 3) - but SMB 1 is the only version your very old NAS supports.

So you need to go into "Turn windows features on or off" in the PC and enable the SMB 1 client there.  Note SMB 1 isn't secure, but IMO this is still safe on your home network (and you don't have a choice if you want to access the NAS).

@NikonRich wrote:

Once again - does the front panel of your NAS say "Duo" or does it say "Duo v2"?

Message 6 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

@NikonRich wrote:

I'm getting worried now as all my photography work is on these drives which is why I bought the box in the first place.

I'm wondering if these units are better suited for commercial rather that domestic use?

Then you are risking losing all your photos.  There are many things that can take out your entire NAS volume, even with RAID.   They don't happen often, but they can happen, and an older NAS is a more susceptible because hardware failure has a higher likelihood.  You need real backup unless the NAS is already just backup.

I believe your situation is fully recoverable this time.  But the OMG that went through your mind when you thought you may have lost it all was telling you something.

Message 7 of 9
NikonRich
Aspirant

@StephenBI changed the feature setting and I have been able to create a shorcut. Result! Not sure how it worked previously though but the important thing is I now have access.

Thank you very much for your help, much appreciated.

(By the way, the front panel just says 'Duo')

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@NikonRich wrote:

but the important thing is I now have access.

Thank you very much for your help, much appreciated.

I'm glad I could help.  One thing you really need to do is make a backup of your files.  Equipment can fail (or be stolen, etc) - so the only way to keep you data safe is to have at least one copy on another device.  Most IT folks suggest two (one off-site - in cloud storage, or perhaps a USB disk stored at a friend's or in a safe deposit box).

@NikonRich wrote:

(By the way, the front panel just says 'Duo')

Knowing that let's me point you to the way to reset the password.  It's the OS reinstall procedure that's described on pages 15-16 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/Duov1_NV+v1_HW_en_06Dec11.pdf

That will reset your password back to netgear1.

It's very important that you don't accidentally do the "factory default" procedure - that will reformat the disks, so all data is destroyed by that procedure.  Best to make that backup before you do this.

BTW, there are issues that will go undetected if you don't log into the NAS every now and then.  So you should take the time to restore access to the NAS web ui.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements