× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Large amounts of data transfer out of cloud to Ready NAS

Sarahg123
Aspirant

Large amounts of data transfer out of cloud to Ready NAS

Hi, I have a new Ready NAS 212 

At the moment I have data locally, on dropbox, on amazon photo drive etc. I have a mac and PC

What is the safest way to transfer the data from another cloud storage to ReadyNAS? I've tried google and calling support but they didnt know!

I know I can then set it to back up to dropbox so I have offsite storage as well.

Bonus points if you know a good way to indentify and remove duplicate data inc photos

Thanks

Model: ReadyNAS-1100|ReadyNAS 1100
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: Large amounts of data transfer out of cloud to Ready NAS

If you simply want to copy data from your various cloud storage, then I suggest copying the data to one of your PCs, and then onto the NAS.  Use a wired ethernet connection with the PCs if you can.

You could use Duplicate Cleaner to identify duplicate files ( https://www.digitalvolcano.co.uk/dcdownloads.html ).  Note I haven't used it myself, this is just an option you might explore.  Perhaps don't delete the duplicates right away, instead consider moving them into a temporary location and manually verify that they actually match.

Message 2 of 5
Sarahg123
Aspirant

Thank you. It’s too much data to fit on the laptop, I could move it in chunks but didn’t know if there was a (safe) direct way.

Good idea to keep duplicates for a while. I’d always been nervous of the duplicate checkers but if I keep it that will reduce the risk.
Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Sarahg123 wrote:
Thank you. It’s too much data to fit on the laptop, I could move it in chunks but didn’t know if there was a (safe) direct way.

I'd move it in chunks.  There are some cloud services you can enable on the NAS, but I think you'd still need to verify that everything was copied if you used them.

Message 4 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

I can personally vouch for Fast Duplicate File Finder.  If you are dealing with tru (100%) dupes, the free version will do the trick.  You can set it up to show you the images before you decide to pull the trigger and delete.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements