× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Larger Disks - No More Space

dschwartzer
Luminary

Larger Disks - No More Space

I have a RN526X running OS 6.6.1.  I had two (2) 1TB Seagate drives in the unit using X-RAID. At that point, the system showed:

data  133.79 GB

Snapshots:  11.95 GB

Free Space: 779.34 GB

RAID 1

That adds up to 905.08 GB which makes sense for two 1TB drives.

Yesterday, I upgraded the drives, one at a time to 2 TB Seagate drives.  I exchanged one drive, let the sysstem rebuild itself, then swapped out the other drive and let the system rebuild itself.  The system is now reporting Healthy and the Volumes screen shows a 2TB drive in Bay 1 and Bay 2, but it also shows the same amount of Free Space.

Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 8.29.08 AM.jpg

Shouldn't the Free Space be significantly larger with the new drives?

Regards,

David

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

O.K. Weirdly your root volume was showing up as having four disks not two. I fixed that.

The RAID had not expanded to use the additional space on the two disks so I manually triggered that. This may take an hour or two or so to complete.

Once that is done the volume should then expand automatically.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 9

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi, could you send us the logs please?

Message 2 of 9
dschwartzer
Luminary

I've downloaded my logs and am trying to send them to you via a private message but I don't see a way to attach a file.  Is there another way?

Message 3 of 9
dschwartzer
Luminary

HyacintheJ:

Finally found how to send logs via email.  They have been send.

Regards,

David

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 4 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

O.K. Weirdly your root volume was showing up as having four disks not two. I fixed that.

The RAID had not expanded to use the additional space on the two disks so I manually triggered that. This may take an hour or two or so to complete.

Once that is done the volume should then expand automatically.

Message 5 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Looks like your volume has successfully expanded now.

Message 6 of 9
dschwartzer
Luminary

Dear mdgm:

Thanks for your help on this.  The volume certainly has expanded but are the numbers right?  here is the volume detail:

Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 9.08.00 PM.jpg

I previously deleted all of the Snapshots on the shares due to another issue I am having so that explains the Snapshots being only 204MB but if the Data is 133.88 GB and the Free Space is 1.68 TB, that's about 1.8TB.  That would mean the OS is taking up about 200 GB.  is that correct?

Also, should I now disable the Support portal?

Regards,

David

Message 7 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Disk manufacturers use base 10 (i.e. 1KB = 1000B) to measure space, like most computers we use base 2 (i.e. 1KiB = 1024B). What makes it confusing is that both methods for measuring space usage call the number they get a number in TB. It's still the same amount of space, you just get a different number.

2TB = 2 * 1000^4 /1024 ^ 4 = 1.82TiB. Allowing for the 4GB OS partition and for swap there really is very little in the way of overheads.

Yes you can disable that now.

Message 8 of 9
dschwartzer
Luminary

Thank you so much!  This is not the first time you have helped me (and I suspect not the last) and I really do appreciate all of your effort.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements