× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Latest Radiator OS (6) for ReadyNAS Pro 6

oshae
Tutor

Latest Radiator OS (6) for ReadyNAS Pro 6

Just curious if anyone can comment on the current state of OS 6 on legacy ReadyNAS? I have a Pro 6, and I installed OS 6 on it quite some time ago but switched back. The main reason then was due to the fans running idle at a much higher speed. Based on some forum browsing I am under the impression this has been remedied?

I would like to move to 6 again since obviously it's a major upgrade over 4, as well as the SMB support (v1 being deprecated in Windows 10 and forward).

Are there any drawbacks still? Is there a specific version I should go with versus the absolute latest? Any feedback is appreciated, thanks!

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
viperhansa
Virtuoso

Hi!

Well, i have been running OS for a long time now, on 6.9.3 now and have the COOL settings on fans due to a bit higher ambient temperature.
Works like a charm! No issues with fans at all, have tested QUIET and BALANCED settings too.

Its alot quieter on quiet but i prefer cool before quiet settings...

I know in the begining there were some fan issues but they have gone away now... (to my knowledge at least)

So, go for OS6.. 🙂

Regards

// Hans

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
viperhansa
Virtuoso

Hi!

Well, i have been running OS for a long time now, on 6.9.3 now and have the COOL settings on fans due to a bit higher ambient temperature.
Works like a charm! No issues with fans at all, have tested QUIET and BALANCED settings too.

Its alot quieter on quiet but i prefer cool before quiet settings...

I know in the begining there were some fan issues but they have gone away now... (to my knowledge at least)

So, go for OS6.. 🙂

Regards

// Hans

Message 2 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The upgrade process still requires a factory reset (wipes all data, settings, everything). Installing the PREP add-on avoids the need to initiate the factory reset manually. Though you should be backing up important data regularly anyway.

Also note that running OS6 on legacy RAIDiator-x86 systems such as the Pro 6 is unsupported.

Message 3 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

If your NAS still has only the original 1GB of memory, you might want to up that to at least 2.  All OS6 native Intel NASes have at least that.  If it's truly a "Pro6" (part number with -200, not -100), not an older Pro BE or Pro Pioneer, then the processor is fine.

Message 4 of 5
oshae
Tutor

Thanks for the feedback. It is a true Pro 6 with the dual core Intel CPU (can't remember the exact model). I upgraded it last year or so to 2GB of RAM.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger and upgraded to OS6. So far so good. I did have one issue where it was detecting my CyberPower UPS as being in a low battery condition but that seemed to have cleared. I also saw a fan issue, where I had it set to Quiet and it seems the fan ended up going so low that it alerted. I have it on Balanced now and it seems fine. Frankly, there is enough ambient noise in my office that even the higher speed Cool setting likely wouldn't make much diff.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements