× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Leap Second June 30th 2015

steveoelliott
Luminary

Leap Second June 30th 2015

Hi all,

Do we know which ReadyNAS products / releases may be affected by the leap second event later this year?

Thanks...
Message 1 of 17
StephenB
Guru

Re: Leap Second June 30th 2015

FWIW I saw no impact in 2012 (when the last one was added).
Message 2 of 17
BaJohn
Virtuoso

At least this is one second added.
I suspect that things MIGHT be more problematical if we had to take away a second.
Anyway 25 seconds added since 1972, and I didn't notice any of them :o.
Like the millennium, it just came and went uneventfully.
Message 3 of 17
StephenB
Guru

Adding in an extra second means that the computers need to set their clock back a second at the next NTP update. It'd be easier if a second were removed - though the earth is slowing down, not speeding up.

The last leap second was 2012, and there were some negative effects: http://www.wired.com/2012/07/leap-secon ... ava-linux/
Message 4 of 17
BaJohn
Virtuoso

Oooops.
See that 'supposed' cigar in my mouth ... that is a very thin foot I have just put there.
I should have checked the internet..... of course to add a second we put the clocks back ( and potential chaos).
As the Americans says "Fall forward, Spring back", or something like that.
Message 5 of 17
itsjasper
Luminary

Try "spring forward, fall back". It makes more sense that way. 😉
Message 6 of 17
BaJohn
Virtuoso

itsjasper wrote:
Try "spring forward, fall back". It makes more sense that way. 😉
It makes less sense that way, as when people trip and fall they invariably fall forwards, and how many times do you have 'spring forward' in a sentence. Alternatively 'spring back' is used all the time as in "spring back to life". In trying to remember something it is better to use something that is in common parlance. i.e. the sentence might be right, but it is a USeless way of remembering it.
Anyway, it is just a leap back in time as far as I am concerned.
Message 7 of 17
StephenB
Guru

It doesn't need to make sense as long as you remember it. https://www.mnemonic-device.com/ is filled with phrases that make no sense at all.

Maybe "March Forward - Fall back" would work better for you. Fall back meaning "retreat"
Message 8 of 17
BaJohn
Virtuoso

StephenB wrote:
Maybe "March Forward - Fall back" would work better for you. Fall back meaning "retreat"

Nay ... for the UK "March Forward - October Back" works for me.
Message 9 of 17
acd1
Aspirant

Hi,

as you guys I was wondering if our Netgear NAS systems will survive the "leap second" issue end of this month.

ReadyNAS 516
This one is running Version 6.x of the ReadyNAS firmware which is based on a 3.0.x kernel so they are not safe regarding this leap second issue.
I asked the support about this and they told us, that the upcoming 6.3.3 (which is already availably as beta) will fix this issue by using a 3.12.x kernel. Since we don't use beta version on our devices this is not an option.

ReadyNAS Pro 4
The latest Version of the RAIDiator firmware (4.2.27) is based on the 2.6.37 kernel which should be safe because some of the 2.6.39 fixed were also backported to 2.6.32. But to be on the safe side a 2.6.39 kernel would be needed.

It seems, that none of the latest firmware are safe :cry:

Symptoms which can occur in the event of a leap second:
    - System hangs on printing the leap second insertion message
    - Systems hang due to leap-second livelock
    - High CPU usage after inserting the leap second
Message 10 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I have asked one of our engineers about this and he informed me that most legacy ReadyNAS already went through a leap second in 2012 and we are not aware of any issues with that event. Furthermore for our current devices our 3.0 kernel already includes all known leap-second-related fixes. 6.3.x has the 3.12 kernel so it would have these fixes as well.
Message 11 of 17
StephenB
Guru

My various ReadyNAS all survived the leap second with no signs of distress 😄
Message 12 of 17
BaJohn
Virtuoso

R but have you checked that your NAS boxes are not 1 second out ....
They could all be living in the past .... or was that future (don't go there. :rofl:, just march forward.)
Message 13 of 17
StephenB
Guru

BaJohn wrote:
...but have you checked that your NAS boxes are not 1 second out ....
Since all my ReadyNAS are using NTP to synchronize time, a failure to insert the leap second properly just means that NTP sync takes care of it later on.
Message 14 of 17
CLHatch
Luminary

StephenB wrote:
BaJohn wrote:
Since all my ReadyNAS are using NTP to synchronize time, a failure to insert the leap second properly just means that NTP sync takes care of it later on.

I believe that is the default setting, to sync the time via NTP, right?
Message 15 of 17
steveoelliott
Luminary

If you check your syslogs you will see the leap second being inserted automatically 😄
Message 16 of 17
StephenB
Guru

CLHatch wrote:
StephenB wrote:
BaJohn wrote:

I believe that is the default setting, to sync the time via NTP, right?
Yes, and Netgear maintains NTP servers that are also used by default.
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements