× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Legacy x86 Pro 6 BIOS files?

mataglap2
Tutor

Legacy x86 Pro 6 BIOS files?

How would I identify what variant(s) of a black Pro 6 I have?  And having done that, where can I get the newest bios that allows for use of drives larger than 4TB?

I have two, one is an early Pro Pioneer, and the second was bought used, already updated to 6.10.x.

Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@mataglap2 wrote:

How would I identify what variant(s) of a black Pro 6 I have?  

Is there a part number on it?

• RNDP6000-100 xxx would be the first generation Pro 6
  • RNDP6000-200xxx would be the second generation

@mataglap2 wrote:

And having done that, where can I get the newest bios that allows for use of drives larger than 4TB?

I don't recall a bios update being needed for that.  You would need to convert the NAS to OS-6 though.

However, if you want to update the bios before converting it, you can just install this add-on, and then reboot the NAS

Message 2 of 5
mataglap2
Tutor

Thanks @StephenB 

Following on from your post, it looks like there are two other ways besides an accurate model number sticker.

By CPU, looking at the /proc/cpuinfo, assuming the unit hasn't been mod'ed.
The -100 would have "model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz" and
the -200 would have (I think) "E5300 2.6Ghz CPU" and
a "Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E6700 @ 3.20GHz" is a common-ish mod.

Re the bios, I looked into the upgrade bin you linked to, and the check that script is making
cat /sys/devices/virtual/dmi/id/product_version

and looking for specific strings in the output

"ReadyNAS-NVX-V2", then it's an Ultra 4

"FLAME6-2", then it's an Ultra 6

"FLAME6-MB", then it's what Netgear calls "NV6" and which type of Pro Pioneer/Business/6 variant doesn't seem that important other than to identify the original CPU.  This upgrade takes it to "07/26/2010 FLAME6-MB V2.0"

"ReadyNAS-ProUltra2", then it's an Ultra 2

at least for the units that this BIOS upgrade applies to, which is not the entire ReadyNAS family

my 626X has "ReadyNAS 526 V2.9" as an example of a unit outside the scope of the BIOS .bin file, and my original Pro Pioneer has "10/03/2008 FLAME6-MB V1.6".

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@mataglap2 wrote:

Re the bios, I looked into the upgrade bin you linked to, and the check that script is making
cat /sys/devices/virtual/dmi/id/product_version

and looking for specific strings in the output

"ReadyNAS-NVX-V2", then it's an Ultra 4

"FLAME6-2", then it's an Ultra 6

"FLAME6-MB", then it's what Netgear calls "NV6" and which type of Pro Pioneer/Business/6 variant doesn't seem that important other than to identify the original CPU.  This upgrade takes it to "07/26/2010 FLAME6-MB V2.0"

"ReadyNAS-ProUltra2", then it's an Ultra 2

at least for the units that this BIOS upgrade applies to, which is not the entire ReadyNAS family

Well, this is the only bios upgrade package for the ultra/pro ReadyNAS products (and you are correct in thinking it does not apply to the entire ReadyNAS family).

Message 4 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

I remember seeing in the forum that there were some very early Pro6 models that are a bit different and can't have the BIOS updated to accept a faster processor.  But the BIOS update will simply fail on them, not brick it.  But AFAIK, anything with FLAME6-MB V1.6 can be updated to 2.0.  There have been posts on how to do the update if you've already converted to OS6, but they are old.  Personally, I recommend using a spare drive to downgrade back to 4.2.31, then installing the BIOS update, then re-converting to OS6 with that spare drive.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements