× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Less than 30% free, how will performance be degraded?

Blanker-2
Guide

Less than 30% free, how will performance be degraded?

I'm getting messages that the free space is less than 30% and that performance will be degraded.  Can anyone tell me what exactly will be degraded? I hope they don't mean transfer speeds. I don't run anything on this box.  No services, snapshots, antivirus, etc.  Just smb.

I'm a bit salty about the 30% too.  Does the system need that much headroom?  It's down right rediculous IMO. 

Thanks.

Model: EDA500|ReadyNAS Expansion Chassis 5-Bay,RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2-Bay
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Less than 30% free, how will performance be degraded?

The performance of read/writing to the volume is at greater risk of degrading as free space is less than 30%. As to when you'll start to see a noticeable difference in transfer speeds that depends on a variety of factors. That may not be till it's say over 80%.

In any case you should consider expanding your volume or freeing up some space.

Message 2 of 4
Blanker-2
Guide

Thanks for your help, mgdm.  I will see how it goes.  I'm just using the nas to stream to my Dune players, so a solid MB/s transfer rate is all I am after.  I'm throwing 2 more disks in the array (which is what triggered the other thread re: the resync).  I just don't think I can afford to waste 30 or even 20%.  Is this common among all NAS products?  Do dofferent brands require less overhead than others?

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Blanker-2 wrote:

Do dofferent brands require less overhead than others?

It's not really about the brand, it's the choice of file system.  EXT is the traditional choice, but many newer NAS - including ReadyNAS - have switched to BTRFS.  BTRFS is in many ways superior, but it does need more free space.  One reason is that metadata and data share the same space pool - ext reserves space up from for metatdata (inodes).

In my experience, 30% is pretty conservative, you can get by with 20%.  If you turn snapshots off, you can probably get by with 15%.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements