× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Lion and SMB NOT working

lagreca
Aspirant

Lion and SMB NOT working

I installed Lion in my iMac for testing purposes. Before updating to RAIDiator 4.1.8-T5 [1.00a043], BOTH AFP and SMB would NOT work on Lion. After updating to RAIDiator 4.1.8-T5 [1.00a043], AFP now works, but SMB still does NOT work. Everything I have read says that SMB should work with Lion, but it simply does not.

When I dual boot on the same machine back to Snow Leopard, 10.6, both AFP and SMB work with no problems.
Message 1 of 14
ericdano
Aspirant

Re: Lion and SMB NOT working

Works fine for me in 10.7. smb://192.168.1.50 to the NV, logs in, works. No issues with that so far.

The one thing I noticed is that iTunes is a little weird adding stuff now......but other than that it works as before.
Message 2 of 14
Chewbacca
Aspirant

lagreca: What happens when you try to access via SMB? Error? No access?
Message 3 of 14
lagreca
Aspirant

When trying to access the readynas via the finder (bonjour), listed on the left side, I get this error:

There was a problem connecting to the server “readynas (CIFS)”.

The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again.

I can however access it directly by going to "Go", "Connect to server", and typing in "smb://10.0.1.50".

When testing on 10.6, I can still access CIF's via bounjour in the finder.
Message 4 of 14
ericdano
Aspirant

Honestly, Bonjour never works right for me. Doesn't matter if it is the NV, or a Windows computer, or whatever. It DOES seem to work better if on the mac you have Windows File Sharing enabled. System Preferences->Sharing, then Enable File Sharing, then chose a share and Options then enable SMB.

If I do that, then I can see just about everything on my network, including my Brother printer that is networked. It shows up as a share in the Finder window under Shared. I can still access it perfect if I don't have SMB enabled on the mac, but I don't see it. Same goes for my Linux Ubuntu server. It sometimes takes a while or doesn't even show up in Shared. But it is there if I manually connect to it.
Message 5 of 14
Chewbacca
Aspirant

Let me take a look at this and get back to you.
Message 6 of 14
Kubular
Aspirant

I can confirm that I've been having the same problem.

Haven't looked into it too deeply yet but I also can't connect if I try to go through the Finder GUI. I have to manually enter the server ip SMB://192....

Running firmware 4.1.7 on ReadyNAS Duo.
Message 7 of 14
heybirder
Aspirant

I tried all sorts of things to get it working. I ended up changing to user mode on the NV+, adding a named account (without any password), fixing the permissions to use 'nogroup' as the group in advanced settings.

I have 2 NV+ units and one now works although it takes a few seconds to connect. The other unit wouldn't attach in Finder but I could then use the 'connect as' button enter my nv+ named account (no password) and it would mount.

Compared to Leopard, this is really messed up.
Message 8 of 14
Chewbacca
Aspirant

I could not reproduce the issue here. Does it also happen on new shares?

What Security mode are you using?

What is the security on the share?
Message 9 of 14
lagreca
Aspirant

Chewbacca wrote:
I could not reproduce the issue here. Does it also happen on new shares?

What Security mode are you using?

What is the security on the share?

Yes, I created a new share, and get the same problem.

User security mode with WORKGROUP as the workgroup.

Security is fairly basic, just a few users and groups who have write access to the share.

I checked the "Console" on my mac and found this error generated when trying to access SMB on the reasynas through the Finder:
"8/4/11 8:42:35.813 AM Finder: SharePointBrowser::handleOpenCallBack returned 65"
Message 10 of 14
Chewbacca
Aspirant

lagreca: Can you send in your logs so I can take a look at this.
Message 11 of 14
lagreca
Aspirant

Chewbacca wrote:
lagreca: Can you send in your logs so I can take a look at this.

Done. I followed instructions and emailed the logs.

Please feel free to call me on the phone number listed in the email.

Thank you.
Message 12 of 14
Chewbacca
Aspirant

Can you try updating to 4.1.8-T9. Im looking through your logs now.
Message 13 of 14
lagreca
Aspirant

Chewbacca wrote:
Can you try updating to 4.1.8-T9. Im looking through your logs now.

That solved the problem. Thank you.
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements