× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

List of servers for this workgroup not currently available

lightsabre
Guide

List of servers for this workgroup not currently available

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I'm trying to troubleshoot an odd behaviour across all my Windows XP Pro SP3 machines.

As nothing else has changed on my network, after installing a ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus, when I try to access my network by browsing through Windows Explorer > My Network Places > Microsoft Windows Network ><workgroup list>, I can no longer access a list of the NASes (NV+ and Ultra 4+) and other network devices, and instead after a delay get the error:

"<Workgroup> is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available"

I can access the device if I directly type in its UNC, and it then populates the workgroup list with that device.

This happens on every Windows computer (three notebooks, all WXPPSP3, fully updated, two with ESET NOD32, one no AV). The Macs are fine.

I found some references to changing the Computer Browser service (something about Master Browser) and some registry hacks, but I rather find the cause and address that.

Is it something to do with the Ultra 4 ReadyNAS now on the network? It's in the middle of a 1.8TB NAS-to-NAS backup so I am reluctant to disrupt that to test the theory, and in any case if I want to leave this device on my network, and it is the cause, I need to resolve that.

Thanks.
Message 1 of 4
lightsabre
Guide

Re: List of servers for this workgroup not currently availab

I've answered the question. I had to cancel the backup jobs anyway and therefore could test the theory. I shut down the NAS.

It is the Ultra Plus causing the issue. All the computers can now browse the network devices no problem.

So the question now is, what is it about the ReadyNAS Ultra 4 that is causing this issue? The NV+ I have running is fine. Is it possibly a conflict of some sort between the two?

Please help enlighten me!
Message 2 of 4
PapaBear1
Guide

Are both units getting their IP addresses from the router? It almost sounds like a conflict in IP numbers. Mine are fixed and end in 20x to avoid confilcts with other devices and each other.
Message 3 of 4
lightsabre
Guide

No, they are static IPs. I agree it sounded like an IP conflict. Thanks for the suggestion.

Oddly enough, today there is no problem. I had turned off the Ultra most of the day, and turned it on last evening to resume a backup trial. So both NASes are now on. When I am browsing today, I can see my entire network. So I think I have to retract blaming the NAS, though it was when the issue arose.

Maybe something was affected in my setup process assigning the IP. When I moved the NAS in place (from a different setup location), I had plugged in the network cable to the bottom port on the Ultra NAS, not realising it would have a different IP (dynamic) than what I had previously assigned it (static) when using the top port. So after I realised that, I simply swapped the cable from bottom to top, and did not reboot. Could that have been been the contributing factor?

Very strange. It wasn't isolated to a single Windows machine; they all had problems, so it was either something in the router (which I have rebooted in the meantime) or one of those pesky network gremlins elsewhere from my innocent port swap.

It's an education. My other NASes (NV, NV+) have only one port, so I didn't really give this feature much thought, until now.

No matter; all good for the time being. Now just trying to tame a NAS-to-NAS backup.

Is there any benefit to having both those Ethernet ports connected? Would I achieve greater speeds? My network is fully gigabit.

Thanks again.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements