× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Loading data into ReadyNAS using esata port

StuBarrett1
Aspirant

Loading data into ReadyNAS using esata port

Migrating data from my ReadyNAS-Pro to my new 424 box and I have a large amount of data that I backed up onto a single larg disk.

Is there anyway to take that disk, attach it to the esata port on my 424 (I have an enclosure) and "side load" that data into a share on my 424?

Seems like it would be faster than over the LAN...

Everthing I find on the Web talks about using that esata port for back up.

Thanks, Stu

Model: RN424|ReadyNAS 424 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@Marc_V wrote:

it might be good if you backup the data from the old NAS using an external USB drive then use that on the new NAS.

The Pro only has USB-2 connections, so it would be faster to back up the data over the LAN.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@StuBarrett1

If that disk is not a part of the RAID from your old ReadyNAS Pro then it would be just fine to attach it to an eSATA enclosure, it will be detected by the NAS. However, If it's configured on a RAID even if it's on JBOD it would not start over USB port or eSATA.

it might be good if you backup the data from the old NAS using an external USB drive then use that on the new NAS.

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Marc_V wrote:

The Pro only has USB-2 connections, so it would be faster to back up the data over the LAN.

Message 3 of 4
StuBarrett1
Aspirant

Thanks Guys, I was able to fully move my data from my hobbled Pro unit to my new 424.  Using a combination of esata, and LAN connections. 

Looking at the "backup" feature of the 424, it appears that you can transfer either way to an attached local disk (esata or USB).

Feels so good to have my NAS up and running again.

Just wish the 424 supported the "recycle" feature of the old Pro...

Thansk again, Stu

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements