× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Local build of SMB plus for strict sync issue

Sandshark
Sensei

Local build of SMB plus for strict sync issue

In this thread: TrueCrypt-container@Skywalker provided access to a "local build" of SMB Plus to disable strick sysnc, which was creating issues with Truecrypt/Veracrypt containers.  I installed it and used that option.  But for a couple revisions now, as he also announced in that thread, that option has been added to each share's configuration.  I'm finally ready to upgrade my main NAS from 6.9.2, but want to confirm how I should go about disabling the "global" strict sync disable so i can do it only on the one share that needs it.

I'm hoping all I need to do is uncheck the box for "disable strict sync" and then update.  Should I also remove the local build SMB plus and replace it with the standard one once I upgrade?  Reboot before initializing the update?

Posting publicly instead of PM'ing Skywalker so,others can benefit.

Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

In 6.9.5 there is a "strict sync" setting for each share that (share settings->network access->smb->advanced).

Message 2 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, but 'm pretty sure I need to make sure I turn off he global setting that's currently there due to the special version of SMB Plus before I upgrade to a version with the option per share.

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Maybe edit the config files with ssh after the upgrade?

Message 4 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

I don't see how that is going to change something that was previously done globally.

It appears that the fix simply adds strict sync = no to /etc/frontview/samba/smb.conf.overrides, so I'm going to uncheck the box, verify it removed that line, and remove the special version of SMB Plus.  Then reboot, upgrade, and install the standard SMB Plus.  I was hoping to get some confirmation this was the appropriate action.

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

I don't see how that is going to change something that was previously done globally.

Likely I was misunderstanding your concern.  I thought you were worried that the global strict sync = no wouldn't allow you to turn strict sync on for future shares if you wanted to do that.  Removing the global setting manually would solve that.

Message 6 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Actually, I was worried that the global "no" would override per-share "yes".  I think strict sync is a good thing to have enabled.  I just have to turn if off in the one share that contains VeraCrypt containers.

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

Actually, I was worried that the global "no" would override per-share "yes".  

Got it.  Since the global setting is in the override, I think you can just delete it.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements