× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Betreff: Looking for Ready NAS 6 Pro and NV+ CFIS replacment solution

sanandros
Aspirant

Looking for Ready NAS 6 Pro and NV+ CFIS replacment solution

So I have a Pro 6 and a NV+ but since Windows wants to be secured it doesn't allow this CFIS format any more. Now how can I use anyway these NASes in the Explorer with the other offered formats?

Message 1 of 20
TeknoJnky
Hero

Re: Looking for Ready NAS 6 Pro and NV+ CFIS replacment solution

the pro 6 you can convert to OS6 (requires factory default, so backup/restore data).

the nv+ is really only worth using as a backup destination nowadays (backup pro6 to nv+)

Message 2 of 20
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Looking for Ready NAS 6 Pro and NV+ CFIS replacment solution

You can turn on SMB V1 in current versions of Windows 10.  So long as you are not exposing your network to the outside world, it should be secure.  But the NV+ is pretty dog slow and small by today's standards, and relegating it to backup is something to consider.  As a backup of your Pro6, you could stick with RSYNC.  I've disabled SMB on my backup NAS so as to hide it from ransomware.(though I've never had any).

Message 3 of 20
sanandros
Aspirant

OK for the OS6 Update how do I do that? Is there a good desciption somewhere?

Message 4 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@sanandros wrote:

OK for the OS6 Update how do I do that? Is there a good desciption somewhere?

There's a brief guide here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/ReadyNAS-3100-Maximum-HDD-size/m-p/...

Note this will reformat your disks - you'll need to reconfigure the NAS and restore all the files from a backup.

Also, the setup isn't supported by Netgear - meaning that paid support won't be available to you, and there is no guarantee that OS-6 will always run on your pro.  However, people have been running OS-6 on their Pro and Ultra NAS since 2013.

Message 5 of 20
bedlam1
Prodigy

@sanandros I suggest you also read ALL of this POST

It includes info on checking NAS Bios and how to convert to OS6

Message 6 of 20
StephenB
Guru

Upgrading the Bios isn't necessary, but of course it's fine to do that if it's not the latest version.

Message 7 of 20
Sandshark
Sensei

But it's best to update the BIOS before moving to OS6 becuase it's so much easier. 

Message 8 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

But it's best to update the BIOS before moving to OS6 becuase it's so much easier. 

Yes, if you want to update the BIOS it's easier to do it before you convert to OS 6. I was just trying to point out that you don't actually need to update the BIOS to do that conversion.  It will run fine with the BIOS you have.

In any event, download the log zip file and look in bios_ver.log.  The current bios is 07/26/2010 FLAME6-MB V2.0 Note that you are looking specifically at the date (not the V2.0 bit).

Message 9 of 20
sanandros
Aspirant

OK Thx BIOS was already up to date. But now one question to the backup. Pobably I'm getting a 2nd Pro 6 NAS to backup every thing. But now how can I backup also the settings and everything else which is not dat related?

Message 10 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@sanandros wrote:

But now how can I backup also the settings and everything else which is not dat related?

You can save the configuration in the web ui (it will download a zip file).  Then you can put that in a share, to back it up on the other server.

This doesn't back up everything (especially if you've installed apps or packages with ssh).  But it will get the shares, backup jobs, and user accounts.

Personally, I just configure the backup NAS identically to the main one, and apply any changes to both NAS.

Message 11 of 20
sanandros
Aspirant

Ok thx so far I have now a 2nd Pro 6 NAS and want first test it on this one before I update my actual NAS. But when I downloaded on step 2 of the update description the file and install it it doesn't show it in the installed add-ons. Is that intenonally? And why do the files in step 2 and step 4 have the same name?

Message 12 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@sanandros wrote:

And why do the files in step 2 and step 4 have the same name?

Oops. - it looks like the link wasn't updated correctly when 6.9.5 came out.  I've fixed it now.

@sanandros wrote:

But when I downloaded on step 2 of the update description the file and install it it doesn't show it in the installed add-ons. Is that intentionally? 

Yes.

Message 13 of 20
sanandros
Aspirant

OK now i try to update the settings but I get allways an error message like the file is damaged or the volumes are not the same. I tried it with "All" and then I excludede the shares and the network and then at the end I tried it just with the access. Now just to test it I tried user and groups and it get's me an uknonwn server error.

Message 14 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@sanandros wrote:

Now just to test it I tried user and groups and it get's me an unknown server error.

Did you also check (after the error) if it had applied the configuration?

Message 15 of 20
sanandros
Aspirant

No nothing changed.

Message 16 of 20
StephenB
Guru

Both these NAS are running OS 6?  And both have the same data volume name?

@sanandros wrote:

No nothing changed.

Likely you will need to re-do the config manually then.

Message 17 of 20
sanandros
Aspirant

No one has the old OS 4, I checked where they wrote any Volume name in OS4 but couln't find it.

Message 18 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@sanandros wrote:

No one has the old OS 4, I checked where they wrote any Volume name in OS4 but couln't find it.

The volume name in OS 4 is "C".

More importantly, I understood your question to be how to migrate the configuration from one Pro running OS 6 to another Pro that was also running OS 6.  You can't download from OS 4 and upload to OS 6.

Message 19 of 20
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

You can't download from OS 4 and upload to OS 6.

Or vice-versa.  The reserved names are different between them.  It was likley a duplicate name or UID that caused the error.  Which is a good thing, or else you'd be factory defaulting and starting over.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements