× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Looking for Windows 7 client backup / restore tools

gregb_pro
Aspirant

Looking for Windows 7 client backup / restore tools

I am seeking backup tools and strategies to backup user data on Windows 7 machines to ReadyNAS Pro (RAIDiator 4.2.x). The backup goal is recovery of user data in the event of Windows client failure, not a backup of data on the ReadyNAS. I poked around the seemingly applicable ReadyNAS forum topics and FAQ, but didn’t see obvious solutions.

Our current approach uses Norton backup on client computers using private shares on the ReadyNAS. Unfortunately Norton client application software uses proprietary format, and the tool is challenging to configure for recovery.

I desire open source, non-proprietary solutions.

Thanks, gregb
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Looking for Windows 7 client backup / restore tools

Any backup tool that supports SMB will work with the NAS (and tools that use FTP or rsync will likely work as well). I use Acronis TrueImage (though I am a home user, so management requirements are different).

Are you needing continuous backup? Or scheduled? User data only, or do you need to back up the OS and applications as well? Do you want the data encrypted?

Are these desktop machines or also laptops? If the latter, is there a need for backup when they aren't on the enterprise network?

Are you looking for a commercial version with support? Or free?
Message 2 of 3
gregb_pro
Aspirant

Re: Looking for Windows 7 client backup / restore tools

A few quick answers:
I am looking for scheduled backup for Windows desktop machines (the MacBooks already use Time Machine with ReadyNAS). The basic need is user data; the OS and applications can be reloaded (although a periodic disk image could lessen the recovery burden). Encryption isn't necessary because backup data is partitioned to private NAS shares.

Commercial tools with support can be considered (Acronis TrueImage frequently receives high praise). However experience with "black box solutions" and support response times is very challenging when "recovery needs to happen now". The simplicity of rsync and FTP is hard to beat (but not very feature rich without appropriate wrappers).

What do other ReadyNAS administrators use for reliable backup and restore tools?

Thanks, gregb
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements