× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Looking to replace my dead RNDP 600E with RNDP600U

Joe-9O
Aspirant

Looking to replace my dead RNDP 600E with RNDP600U

Hello, this is the first time for me to be using this forum so I hope I'm observing the appropriate rules.

I have an RNDP 600E that "died" on me. I was advised to replace the power supply which I did. Although the unit starts, it only displays "ReadyNAS" on the server's LED screen.

I have decided to buy an RDNP 600U chassis (only model I can find) and put my disks into that system.

The only requirement that Netgear indicated that I needed to follow was to initialise it with a scratch disk. Once that was done, I could shut it down, insert my disks and restart the unit.

This seems very straight forward but since I don't want to risk losing the data I thought I'd ask the members of the forum whether I understood the guidance correctly.

Thanks!

Model: RNDP600E|ReadyNAS Pro Pioneeer Chassis only
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Joe-9O

Welcome to the Community!

Both RNDP600E (Pro 6) and RNDP600U (Ultra 6) runs on ReadyNAS OS 4 (4.2.31) so inserting the disks from your previous unit should boot as normal on the new unit provided that your disks are healthy or no other issues are present.

You followed the procedure right, hoping that you can get access to your data as soon as it's finish 🙂

Hope this helps!

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Joe-9O

Welcome to the Community!

Both RNDP600E (Pro 6) and RNDP600U (Ultra 6) runs on ReadyNAS OS 4 (4.2.31) so inserting the disks from your previous unit should boot as normal on the new unit provided that your disks are healthy or no other issues are present.

You followed the procedure right, hoping that you can get access to your data as soon as it's finish 🙂

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 9
Joe-9O
Aspirant

Thank you!
Message 3 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

In the meatime, maybe we can get your old one working, too.

Is the unit doing more than it was before the power supply replacment, or is it the same?

The unit will display "ReadyNAS" if all that works is +5V.  There are a few things you may have done in the power supply replacement you can check:  A big one is knocking loose the memory DIMM, or even removing it to get better access to the 24-pin connector and forgetting to replace it..  Forgetting to connect the 4-pin CPU power connector is another.  Just not plugging the 24-pin connector in all the way is another.

Of course, there is also a chance that the NAS just has another problem or that the replacement supply is bad.

Message 4 of 9
Joe-9O
Aspirant

Thank you!

I feel like an idiot. The 4pin molex did not seat securely although I thought I had pushed it in all the way. I pushed it in more firmly and it is now in the process of booting up and recognising the disks!

Message 5 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Guess how I know you can make the mistakes I listed?  Yup, did them myself.  We all get in a hurry.  Glad I could help and it was that simple.

Now that you have a spare NAS, you may want to investigate switching it over to OS6.  Among several, one of the advantages is that you can then swap the drives directly to any OS6-based machine (with enough drive slots) if your Pro6 does die.  For someone unafraid to swap out a power supply, loss of even paid Netgear support, which is the biggest downside for some, may not matter to you.

BTW, which supply did you use?  With the original Seasonic no longer available, I'm looking for recommendations to give others.

Message 6 of 9
Joe-9O
Aspirant

Thank you for the suggestion.

The power supply I used was purchased on eBay below.

1) The mounting frame had to be transferred from the OEM power supply.

2) The power supply mount where the power cord attaches also needs to be transferred.

3) The 4 pin molex comes as 8 pins but easily slips apart into two 4 pin molex connectors.

4) the location of the power cord prevents the upper fan from reinserted flush. I cut out a corner of the upper fan and it mounted correctly.

5) The black plastic cable restraint for the 24-pin connector no longer fits but it doesnt appear to be a significant issue.

6) There are extra connectors that can be tied up in a way that keeps them out of the upper fan blades.

7) Also the fan on the PSU is not raised as on the OEM unit but I also don't think this is an issue.

Not quite a "drop-in" replacement as advertised - but thanks to your advice, it works.

Regards - Avinash

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Pioneer-RNDP600E-Ultra-6-RNDU6000-Ultra-6-Plus-PSU-SFX-24Ext-3angled-Mo...

Message 7 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Other than the mod you had to make to the fan, that's all normal stuff.  Was the cable long enough to use without an extension?  That, plus having 3 4-pin "hard drive" Molex would be enough to justify it's slightly higher cost than other SFX supplies.

Removing the plastic cable cover exposed an additional path for air flow, so I covered that with aluminum duct tape.  But it's likely not really needed.

Does that one have auto fan speed?  Some do, and run a lot quieter than the origina;.

Message 8 of 9
Joe-9O
Aspirant

Thanks for the advice!
It appears to be fairly quiet so the PSU may have an automatic fan.
No extended cables were required. The 24-pin cable came with an extender already attached.

Thanks - Avinash
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements