× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Lost AD Connection after updating to 6.5.0 on Readynas 516 #26926627

DirkG
Aspirant

Lost AD Connection after updating to 6.5.0 on Readynas 516 #26926627

Hello,

after updating my Readynas 516 from firmware 6.5.0-T338 to 6.5.0 final release, I am getting 'Failed to sync ADS account information for the realm' messages.

In the past, there was no issue regarding AD integration and even the import of the AD accounts worked without any problems.

At the moment, the device is unable to import any AD accounts while account caching is enabled. If account chaching is disabled, I am able to see the AD users in the accounts overview on the device.

Unfortunately, even if the AD accounts are visible (with account chaching disabled), the home folders are not accessible from windows. Even a domain admin can't access the folders or update the security settings.

I already tried rejoining the AD, checked NTP-settings regarding timing issues and tried a rollback to 6.5.0-T338 without any luck.

How can I fix this issue?

Best regards

Dirk

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Lost AD Connection after updating to 6.5.0 on Readynas 516

DirkG, please don't run beta 6.5.0 firmware anymore. We are very limited in what we can do to help if you stay on that here and support won't be able to help with that firmware. Please update back to the 6.5.0 production release and open a support case, attach your logs to that case and let us know the case number. Thanks.

When users encounter this issue and do things to try to fix it themselves we lose the ability to get information that would help with identifying the root cause of the issue (so it's much harder to try to find a common cause that could lead to a fix in a future firmware release if that's needed).

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 16

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello DirkG,

What is the OS of the computer that you are using to access the folders/shares? Are you able to access these shares when the authentication is set to local users?

These shares by the way should be set to Everyone and the share permissions should be set by DC. 

Regards,

Message 2 of 16
stevecr25
Aspirant

I am also having the same issue since upgrading to 6.5.0 on my 3130. 

Error message in the log is: Account: Failed to sync ADS account information for the realm

All ADS user and group info is gone, users unable to connect to shared folders. Tested my domain and all controllers check ok.. The issue is with the ReadyNAS... 

Model: RN3130|READYNAS 3130 1U 4-Bay
Message 3 of 16
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello stevecr25,

I think you are already in contact with one of who can remote in to your NAS. Please continue with it as he is one of the higher tier who can probably take a look and help resolve this.

Regards,

Message 4 of 16
DirkG
Aspirant

Hello JennC,

I am using systems running Windows 10 Pro, Windows 2008 R2 Server and Windows 2012 R2 Server to access the folders/shares.

With all systems, I am having the same problems.

From my point of view, the problem is related with the error message that the Readynas is not able to import the AD accounts since the update to the final version of 6.5.0. Therefore, ist seems that the users couldn't be authentificated via the Readynas.

Moreover, I am not able to set any permissions for the AD user folders, which are automatically created by the Readynas:

- Via the administrative web page, there is no possibility to define any acces rights, if the folders belong to AD users

- Via SMB, I am not able to connect to this folder, because the access is denied (Unable to import AD accounts...)

Please also have in mind that once the AD account caching is disabled (direct query of the accounts to to DC), the problem disappears and there was no problem at all with all other OS versions of the Readynas 516 before.

Therefore, it is not a problem of the share permissions, but with the security handling of AD accounts within the Readynas.

Best regards

Dirk

Message 5 of 16
DirkG
Aspirant

Hello JennC,

please be aware, that there are more users with the same problem:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Firmware-6-5-0-Failure-To-Sync-ADS-Information-...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-in-Business/AD-DC-Import-Error/m-p/1091108#M4881

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-in-Business/RN-2120-Active-Directory-quot-Import-Error-quo...

Moreover, I have already sent my logs.

In additon some observations:

- There was no problem with 6.5.0-T338

- The problem appeared after updating from 6.5.0-T338 to 6.5.0 final

- Downgrading from 6.5.0 final to 6.5.0-T338 has not restored the working conditon

- You can access folders after disabling AD caching on the Readynas and logoff/logon on your windows machine, but not the automatically created UserFolders, which already exists

- You have access to UserFolders, which are created automatically after the switch to 6.5.0 final

From my point of view, there was something mixed up with the management of the SID from the AD within the Readynas while upgrading to 6.5.0 final.

Best regards

Dirk

Message 6 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

DirkG, please don't run beta 6.5.0 firmware anymore. We are very limited in what we can do to help if you stay on that here and support won't be able to help with that firmware. Please update back to the 6.5.0 production release and open a support case, attach your logs to that case and let us know the case number. Thanks.

When users encounter this issue and do things to try to fix it themselves we lose the ability to get information that would help with identifying the root cause of the issue (so it's much harder to try to find a common cause that could lead to a fix in a future firmware release if that's needed).

Message 7 of 16
DirkG
Aspirant

Re: Lost AD Connection after updating to 6.5.0 on Readynas 516 #26926627

Hello mdgm,

I have created support case #26926627

Moreover, have already sent the log files yesterday, as described on your signature.

Best regards

Dirk

Message 8 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 9 of 16
DirkG
Aspirant

I sent it yesterday, before opening a ticket to the following address: (as described in your signature) and again today as an attachment to the ticket.

Message 10 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Ah, probably because of several links in the email it was incorrectly automatically placed in my Junk email folder.

Anyway I can see from your case that support has had a look at your system and is waiting for confirmation from you that the problem is now fixed before closing the case.

Message 11 of 16
DirkG
Aspirant

Hello mdgm,

the problem is fixed. I already sent an update, that the ticket can be closed.

Best regards

Dirk

Message 12 of 16
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DirkG,

Thanks for updating the thread. You can now mark this closed by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button in one of the responses that you received. With regard to your support ticket, you can close it by logging into https://my.netgear.com/registration/login.aspx.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 13 of 16
ATCIS
Tutor

Would anyone be willing to chime in and describe how the issue was resolved?  Same exact symptoms materialized here after updating to v6.5.0

Model: ReadyNASRNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 14 of 16
DirkG
Aspirant

Hi ATICS,

I opened a support ticket with Netgear and the Back-Level support from Netgear fixed the problem via a remote session to the Readynas.

Best regards

Dirk

Message 15 of 16
ATCIS
Tutor

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, that's not much help for those of us running v6.5.0 on unsupported "Out-of-Warranty" EOL ReadyNAS devices. . .

Oh well. . .  I turned off local ADS caching for now, so we can at least access our data/perform backups/etc.     

Model: RNDP6000-200 |ReadyNAS® Pro 6 |EOL
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements