× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Lost Time Machine after connection attempt from different Mac

Enlil
Aspirant

Lost Time Machine after connection attempt from different Mac

Hi,

A long time ago I set up my spouse's iMac to backup via time machine to ReadyNAS. When I today tried ot recover her iMac from the time machine, the username/password dialog for connecting from the iMac to the time machine just disappeared. To see if this is an issue with the iMac or the NAS, I connected from my macbook to the time machine and then aborted. Now the time machine doesn't show up anymore on either the iMac nor my macbook. I rolled back all shares on my ReadyNAS to a snapshot from last night, but the timemachine is still missing.

Unfortunately I have no idea how I had set up the timemachine in the first place. It wasn't active under the backup -> time machine settings. I tried to look for a sparse bundle anywhere but havne't found one yet. I am currently running `find . -name *.sparsebundle` in tmux, but that will take a long time to search the entire NAS.

Any ideas what I should / could try to get the timemachine back or even find out where on the NAS it might have lived?

Thank you!

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3
Enlil
Aspirant

Re: Lost Time Machine after connection attempt from different Mac

My search finally returned results and it turned out tha the sparsebundle lived under /data/.timemachine. It's still there, so that's great! However, it's not exposed via the network. How can I make it so that the iMac finds it again and can recover from there?

Message 2 of 3
DEADDEADBEEF
Apprentice

Re: Lost Time Machine after connection attempt from different Mac

If the sparsebundle is still there it's probably just a messed up config somewhere.. can you post output of the following commands:

cat /etc/netatalk/timemachine.conf

sqlite3 --header --column  /var/readynasd/db.sq3 'select * from "$timemachine_quota"'

ls -lah /data/.timemachine/
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements