× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Lost all disks after firmware 6.9.4 upgrade

toresetre
Aspirant

Lost all disks after firmware 6.9.4 upgrade

Shortly after upgrading to firmware 6.9.4 I lost the data volume and all four disks are marked red. There's an alarm saying "Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #1,2,3,4."

I have a backup of the data, but I would like to know the root cause and if there are other options than setting up the NAS from scratch and restoring.

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 23
StephenB
Guru

Re: Lost all disks after firmware 6.9.4 upgrade

I believe there is more than one cause for this problem.  Your best option (other than the brute-force factory reset) is to use paid support at my.netgear.com.

Netgear mods ( for instance @evan2@Marc_V@JohnCM_S ) might be willing to analyze your logs, and give you some information on the cause and possible solutions.  So you could PM them and ask if they are willing to do that.

Message 2 of 23
toresetre
Aspirant

Yes, I agree, there might be more than one reason for this issue. Should I investigate the other possible causes? Or just factory reset and start over?

Message 3 of 23
StephenB
Guru

If it were my primary NAS, I'd do the factory reset and start recovering files from backup.  My backups are automated, and it's fairly easy for me to switch to a backup NAS - so I wouldn't use paid support.

If you aren't in a hurry, you could ask for help from Netgear mods to analyzing the logs.  There's a chance they might also want to take a look at your system remotely.

If you have ssh enabled on the NAS, you could poke around on your own I guess.

Message 4 of 23
toresetre
Aspirant

Thank you for your input. I'm running the data off an DR/alternative storage solution, so there is no rush in getting the ReadyNAS operational. My priority is finding the root cause(s) so I can rule out hardware error.

I'm not cormfortable around SSH, so if any Netgear staff would have a look at the logs that would be great.

Any tip on how to get their attention?

Message 5 of 23
StephenB
Guru

I tried using the @ reference, but so far no one bit.  Perhaps try PMing each of them.

Message 6 of 23
UnknownAXHF
Aspirant

I have a feeling it may be related to 6.9.4, as I upgraded the other day and I've had the same issue as you.

Message 7 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@UnknownAXHF wrote:

I have a feeling it may be related to 6.9.4, as I upgraded the other day and I've had the same issue as you.

Generally speaking, there are quite a few posts reporting it after a firmware update (not necessarily 6.9.4).  I'm not convinced the update itself is the cause - it's also quite possible that some checking that is done post-update (or even during the reboot) is uncovering a latent issue that was actually there before.  Most people only reboot their NAS after an update.

It would be good if Netgear provided more information on the causes, and looked into prevention or repair of the more common ones.  This issue happens much too often.

Message 8 of 23
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

@toresetre or @UnknownAXHF

Could do you please enable secure diagnostic on NAS admin GUI and PM me 5 digit number?

Let me remote access to check what problem happen?

RAIDar Secure diagnostic
https://kb.netgear.com/27391/ReadyNAS-RAIDar-6-0
or enable secure diagnostic in NAS admin GUI =>System=>Settings=>Support

Message 9 of 23
viperhansa
Virtuoso

@StephenB

Not to flame anyone/anything or accuse anyone/netgear:

Don't you agree that this have been happening more often after the introduction of 6.9.3?
There have been lots of new firmwares and the inactive disc/s juste showed up?

I'm one of thoose that got affected by it and never really found the root cause.

I reboot now and then, have schedules for discmanagement running and never had any errors there. Or warnings.

Anyway, i think Netgear have good products, semi decent support OF COURSE WITH exceptions to the better...

keep up the good work this community does!!

Regards

// Hans

Message 10 of 23
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

@toresetre

I remote access your NAS and find filesystem is failed, so data volume can't be mounted after NAS reboot.

Could you please create a support case?

https://www.netgear.com/support/

it takes time to recovery data.

root@NAS04:~# btrfsck /dev/md127
checksum verify failed on 20176179691520 found AB26D242 wanted 00000000
bytenr mismatch, want=20176179691520, have=0
Couldn't read tree root
ERROR: cannot open file system

Message 11 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@viperhansa wrote:

Not to flame anyone/anything or accuse anyone/netgear:

Don't you agree that this have been happening more often after the introduction of 6.9.3?

I've been seeing inactive volume posts since at least 2015, with firmware as old as 6.2.4.  I don't see a spike with 6.9.3, but there might have been one with 6.9.0 in last year - hard to say.  They do seem to be more common with recent releases, but that might be because the installed base is growing (there were no OS 6 ReadyNAS before 2013).

Whatever the trend, this happens often enough that I think Netgear should provide more information in the UI to allow users to diagnose why their volume can't be mounted.  They should also analyze the common causes to see if there are preventative measures (for example frequency of maintenance tasks, or new maintenance task that checks the file system or RAID) that could be added to the UI, or if there is some detection/repair possible in the new safe mode.  They might also reconsider the SMART thresholds they are using in their alerts (and at least make them configurable).

Message 12 of 23
viperhansa
Virtuoso

Thanks for the reply!

Good answer too!

Yes it would be good if there were more info at hand when things like this happens.

We could probably discuss this for a loong time .  🙂

regards

// Hans

Message 13 of 23
toresetre
Aspirant

Hi Evan2

Thank you for looking into this.

Unfortunately I've tried to create a support case for a week, but the website is not accepting the serial number (error message "Something went wrong. Please contact support team.". 

I getting a bit tired of the whole situation and don't plan on spending much more time on this now. I have a full backup but wanted to find out if the problem with the drives was 1) because of firmware upgrade 2) user/operational error or 3) product fault, so I could learn from this and hopefully avoid it in the future. I frankly don't think I'll get an answer and I think I'll just wipe the whole thing and restore data and just hope it'll be long until the disks disapear on me again.

Tore

Message 14 of 23
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

@toresetre

Below is my suggestion,

1. Too many snapshots would get high resource of btrfs, so please just take snapshots on necessary share folders and with an appropriate frequency.
2. I advise you to run a weekly volume balance. (System -> Volumes -> Volume Settings -> Volume Schedule)
3. I advise you to set snapshot pruning occurs when the volume reaches a used capacity of 80%. (System -> Volumes -> Volume Settings -> Snapshot Pruning)

Message 15 of 23
toresetre
Aspirant

Thanks Evan, I'll make sure to follow that recomendation.

Any thoughs on accessing the file system directly vs through an iscsi-drive? Which would require less maintenance and be less prone to errors?

Tore

Message 16 of 23
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

@toresetre

Your NAS is RN214, it is arm platform,

You had better accessthe file system directly, 

I suggest you not use iSCSI on arm platform, because arm CPU performance is lower than x86.

Message 17 of 23
toresetre
Aspirant

Great, thanks!

Message 18 of 23
adrianpbrown
Aspirant

Thought id jump in here, I just upgraded to 6.9.4 HotFix 1 from 6.9.2 and now ive got the

"remove inactive volumes to use the disk  #1,2,3,4,1,2 "

Message.  I can most likely build everything from backup but thats a royal pain.  Was there ever a solution to this?

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 19 of 23
qqhsiao
Aspirant

i had this problem at the first upgrade (6.9.3 to 6.9.4); i thought it maybe me... first thing i noticed it's the drive can not be write in anymore, so i start backing up before i restart; when it can copy out always do that first... i leanred that from the hard way (in tears).

and after reset everything i manually upgrade the NAS to 6.9.3... all working fine until yesterday 2018-DEC-23...

i upgraded by accident.... and now i am back in this crap again...

cannot write in and after i restart the NAS, it shows that same message as you guys. 

"xxxxx volume xxxxx remove disk #1.2.3.4"

this is too painful, i have ordered a 8-bay Synology NAS...

i am switching... NAS suppose to be my backup ..... 

now i have to get backup space for my backups 
wahahahahahaha (already gone crazy)

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 20 of 23
Mr_EdAthon
Tutor

Morning,

Did anyone find out why this happend? as I've just upgrade to the latest version 6.9.5 and I've just experienced the same error message "please remove inactive disks" and when removing all disks from the system the admin console still thinks the disks are still connected and the same applies on the unit it still thinks drives 2 & 3 are plugged in as the lights are showing for disks 2 & 3.

Thanks   

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 21 of 23
StephenB
Guru

The disks are of course still connected, but the data volume can't be mounted.

One option is to engage paid support (my.netgear.com).

Message 22 of 23
Mr_EdAthon
Tutor

Thank you for the quick reply, I have now resolved the issue, disk 2 was faulty of a RAID 5 setup, so I have removed this drive, reformatted the remaining 2 and started from scratch again, once I have replaced the faulty drive with a new one I shall copy the data across again.   

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements