× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Lost contact with NAS after upgrading Windows 10

DisNASter
Aspirant

Lost contact with NAS after upgrading Windows 10

I have recently upgraded Windows 10 on my computer and after the upgrade I appear to have lost contact with the NAS. When I click "Browse" in RAIDar I get the following error message (translated to English):

"192.168.1.67

You cannot connect to the file resource since it is not safe. The resource requires the outdated SMB1 protocol which is unsafe and can cause your computer to be attacked. For your computer, SMB2 or later is required. More information on how the problem can be solved is available in: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=852747"

Is it possible to upgrade the NAS to run the SMB2 protocol? If not, is it possible to solve the problem some other way?

Model: ReadyNAS RNDU2000|ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 29

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Options include 

• Installing the SMB 1.0 client on your Windows system.  You do this by going into "turn windows features on or off"
  • Installing the NFS client in Windows and enable NFS in the NAS.
  • Converting your NAS to run OS-6.  This is unsupported by Netgear, but would give you SMB 3.0

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 29

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Options include 

• Installing the SMB 1.0 client on your Windows system.  You do this by going into "turn windows features on or off"
  • Installing the NFS client in Windows and enable NFS in the NAS.
  • Converting your NAS to run OS-6.  This is unsupported by Netgear, but would give you SMB 3.0
Message 2 of 29
DisNASter
Aspirant

The first option is advised against for safety reasons.

The second option is not ideal either, since one of the three computers connected to the NAS does not run Windows 10 Pro.

Remains the third option. Any instructions available on how to?

Message 3 of 29
StephenB
Guru

Message 4 of 29
DisNASter
Aspirant

As I feared, the solution was somewhat above my technical level. I suppose there's no simple way to upgrade the existing system to handle SMB2?

Message 5 of 29
StephenB
Guru

@DisNASter wrote:

As I feared, the solution was somewhat above my technical level. I suppose there's no simple way to upgrade the existing system to handle SMB2?

The NAS does have an experimental flag that enabled an early implementation of SMB2.  You'd need to use ssh and the linux command line to turn that flag on. 

The concerns over SMB1 are more critical for enterprises than they are for home networks.  I suggest just installing the SMB1 client for now.   Later on you could upgrade to a newer NAS (which would also have up to date security patches), and then re-purpose your current NAS as a backup NAS.

Message 6 of 29
DisNASter
Aspirant

I’m considering the option to upgrade to OS 6, since it only involves changes in the NAS, and in hope that it might extend the life expectancy of the NAS. Is it possible that someone has saved the content of the “specifics” from netgear.nas-central.org/wiki/Con ... ReadyNASOS? I could do with some more detailed instructions.

Message 7 of 29
bedlam1
Prodigy

You may find this THREAD helpful

Message 8 of 29
mdgm
Virtuoso

The specifics on the NAS central page were gleaned from the community such as pages linked to above.

Basically

Backup data

Verify backup is good

Install Prep Add-On via Add-Ons > Add New in web admin GUI.

Install R4toR6 firmware image via System > Update > Local. You will be prompted to reboot and you should accept this.

After the system reboots itself a few times or so the Prep add-on will cause the system to automatically do a factory reset (wipes all data, settings, everything).

If you had not installed the Prep add-on the system would come up eventually in a broken state and you’d need to do a manual factory reset using the boot menu to get things working. On some systems the boot menu isn’t easy to use and it does require physical access to the device (not practical if you are a very long drive, or a flight or more away from the unit).

BIOS Upgrades (mentioned in some threads) are optional. It’s easier to install it whilst still on RAIDiator-x86-4.2.x but do note that if power is disconnected/fails during a BIOS update the system will be bricked.

Message 9 of 29
DisNASter
Aspirant

A pattern is beginning to form here. For every question, I get a link to a new thread that raises more new questions. Then again, right now, the only use I have for my NAS is as a paper weight, so I have nothing to lose. I will try one step at the time and hope I will find the support to go through the process one step at the time.

Forget about the backup. I cannot access the NAS. It has only been used for backup anyway, so if all goes well in the end, nothing will be lost.

As far as I can tell, I have the latest version of the firmware.

Firmware version.JPG

If I have understood right, the next step is to download new software and store it on the hard disc of my desktop. What version software should I use, and where can I find it?

Message 10 of 29
StephenB
Guru

@DisNASter wrote: If I have understood right, the next step is to download new software and store it on the hard disc of my desktop. What version software should I use, and where can I find it?

If you want to convert your NAS to run OS6, then the next step is to offload all the data - because the conversion process will reformat the NAS disks.

One way to do that offloading it to connect an NTFS-formatted USB drive to the NAS, and then set up a backup job on the NAS.   Another way is to (at least temporarily) install the SMB 1.0 client on the Windows PC, and copy the data over the network.  

After that, the procedure is

1. Download PREP4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin and install it as an add-on
  2. Download R4toR6_6.9.5 .bin and install it as a firmware update
  3. Reboot the NAS

The NAS will then reformat the drives and do a factory install of OS 6.9.4  You'd then go through the NAS setup process via https://nas-ip-address/admin (using the actual IP address of your NAS).

After the setup, you will need to restore all your data from the backup.

Message 11 of 29
DisNASter
Aspirant

It appears that booth links point to the same file. Could it be that the link in step one is not correct?

Message 12 of 29
StephenB
Guru

@DisNASter wrote:

Could it be that the link in step one is not correct?

My mistake, it is fixed now.

Message 13 of 29
DisNASter
Aspirant

So, I managed to download PREP4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin, but when I tried to install it as an add-on, I got an error message:

Error message.JPG

Any ideas?

Message 14 of 29
DisNASter
Aspirant

I got the message that the image was valid:

Valid image.JPG

Message 15 of 29
DisNASter
Aspirant

And also a message saying that an error occured during installation of add-on program prepR4ToR6

Error message 2.JPG

Message 16 of 29
mdgm
Virtuoso

Installing the Prep add-on is not essential as if you have physical access to the device when the system comes up in a weird state you can then power down and do a factory default using the boot menu.

Message 17 of 29
DisNASter
Aspirant

Is it now I should do a factory default using the boot menu?

Felaktig rot.JPG

Message 18 of 29
mdgm
Virtuoso

First make sure you've backed up your data and verified it if you haven't already.

Install the R4toR6 firmware image, accept the prompt to reboot now.

The system should reboot itself a few times or so and come up in a weird state (OS6 installed over the top of RAIDiator-x86). The system won't be working in this broken state.

At that point you could power down and do a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) using the boot menu.

Alternatively (or if the above doesn't work for you) you could do a factory default (System > Update > Factory Default), and after it comes back up try installing the Prep Add-on Again, Install R4toR6 firmware image, and accept the prompt to reboot and the system will automatically trigger a factory reset at the appropriate time.

Note that if you do a factory default whilst still on RAIDiator-x86 4.2.x you could open RAIDar to select the RAID mode and confirm your choice to avoid having to wait for the 10 minute countdown to complete.

Message 19 of 29
DisNASter
Aspirant

It appears the old User ID and password does not work any longer. Any suggestions?

Message 20 of 29
bedlam1
Prodigy

Factory default will have set your login to User: admin & Password: password

It may have also (re)set your Lan settings to DHCP and switched off quotas

Use Raidar (DOWNLOAD) to discover your NAS on your network for a better idea of the current state of play

Message 21 of 29
DisNASter
Aspirant

As far as I can tell from the progress so far, the NAS appears to be up and running OS 6.9.4. Further testing will tell. A user manual for 6.9.4 would help. Does anyone know if there is such a manual, and if so, where to find it?

Message 22 of 29
DisNASter
Aspirant

Might there even be a manual available in Swedish?

Message 23 of 29
bedlam1
Prodigy

Look HERE

Message 24 of 29
DisNASter
Aspirant

Excellent, now I have a manual. When trying to configure backup on one of my computer i get an error message: "Reconnect the unit"

Återanslut enheten.JPG

:

How do I reconnect the unit? 

Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements