× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Lost eth0 after 6.7.1 upgrade

RichStevenson
Aspirant

Lost eth0 after 6.7.1 upgrade

I just upgraded my RN214 to 6.7.1 and the eth0 network is no longer working. No lights on the port, and the display says no IP address. I had to move the cable to eth1 to get a connection. eth0 static configuration is still intact, but the eth0 card is greyed out in the admin portal. I tried disabling and re-configuring, but no luck.

Any ideas?

Model: RN214D43|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 9
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Lost eth0 after 6.7.1 upgrade

Hello RichStevenson,

It may be best to contact support for hardware check if it is the NIC that stopped working.

Regards,

Message 2 of 9
RichStevenson
Aspirant

I've been down that road before. Support won't help unless I pay, even though the unit is still under warranty. Previously @mdgm-ntgr determined the unit needed RMA'd and was able to get it done for me when 6.5.1 caused issues.

Message 3 of 9
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello RichStevenson,

If it is for hardware check since it is the NIC that is no longer functioning, they should not ask for a fee. If the unit is still under warranty, they will replace it provided that it is registered to your account.

Regards,

Message 4 of 9
RichStevenson
Aspirant

Ok had to argue a bit when they told me to use the forums or pay for support again, but they are replacing the chassis now. Kinda concerned that this is the second time a firmware upgrade caused hardware problems and the unit needed to be replaced. I've always upgraded through the admin portal. Is there a different way I should be doing this in the future?

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@RichStevenson wrote:

Kinda concerned that this is the second time a firmware upgrade caused hardware problems and the unit needed to be replaced. 

It could of course be a coincidence (perhaps the hardware was marginal before) - but the timing is a bit concerning.

@RichStevenson wrote:

I've always upgraded through the admin portal. Is there a different way I should be doing this in the future?

I always use the admin web ui ( https://nas-ip-address/admin ).  If that's what you mean by "admin portal", then you are doing it the correct way.

Message 6 of 9
RichStevenson
Aspirant

Yea the admin web ui is what I was referring to.

She sent the RMA, but is also reaching out to engineering to see if this has happened for others during the 6.7.1 update, and said she would let me know.

Message 7 of 9
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello RichStevenson,

It would be best to do manual update of firmware instead of the the one that pops up.

Regards,

Message 8 of 9
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello RichStevenson,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements