× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Lots of Virus detection after 6.6.1 Update

joellanglois
Aspirant

Re: Lots of Virus detection after 6.6.1 Update

Any info on the release of the update?  Thanks

Message 26 of 68
bedlam1
Prodigy

OS 6.7.0 Beta was released two days ago LINK

Message 27 of 68
joellanglois
Aspirant

Are there concernes about the 'beta' release? should I wait for the formal release?

Message 28 of 68

It was a hell of a FW version!

I hope the 6.7.0 would kill all the bugs!

Message 29 of 68
StephenB
Guru

@joellanglois wrote:

Are there concernes about the 'beta' release? should I wait for the formal release?

I haven't seen anything concerning posted here.  Look through the beta section though - that's where issues should be reported.

Message 30 of 68
jtowntex
Guide

This will be a quasi useless answer and I'll apologize up front for that but...

It's a Beta. There are always concerns with Beta releases. This is largely because the requisite testing is on going so there could be problems they simply don't know about yet. Beta testing is a more mature stage and accelerates the process because the user base can expand and randomize the parameters of the test by simply doing their normal thing. If your data is backed up and you can tolerate a loss of access to the main storage for a few hours of recovery then I'd say go for it. If you do not have backup copies of the contents of the NAS or have a user base that cannot tolerate a loss of access then don't do it.

I for one will not run the Beta. While I have several copies of the data it would cost my users and I dearly if they lost access to their files. It's a pain getting data in and out of my network environment. I can access all of my storage locations with out much trouble but providing every user with a similar path out of the local IPS would be a colossal pain. 

Message 31 of 68
StephenB
Guru

@jtowntex wrote:

It's a Beta. There are always concerns with Beta releases.

That is certainly true, and many people do avoid them because they aren't fully tested.  Netgear always has some disclaimers in the beta release posts, and you should read them carefully.  

I agree that you need to weigh the risk of disruption to your users against the gains of the fixes and new features in the beta.

In this particular beta I haven't seen serious bugs reported, and since it does have AV fixes that many people want, I suspect a lot of folks are running it.  So it appears to be stable - "appears" being an important qualifier.  

Personally I usually do install them on a backup NAS, and (if that goes well) then put onto my other ReadyNAS.  I've begun that process, and have seen no issues so far.  But I haven't been running it very long.

Message 32 of 68
joellanglois
Aspirant

Thank you.  Right now, with the AV off, it is working fine, so I will take your advice and wait for the FW release.

Message 33 of 68
jtowntex
Guide

After the invervening updates some users have been able to re-enable it without much issue and with out a full OS upgrade. For my secondary NAS unit this has been true with out exception. For the main unit it has still been mildly buggy but nothing I couldn't deal with by simply rebooting before the rest of the staff comes in to work. I expect the difference between the two units is a function of user load. Very few people utilize the second unit and those that do usually open a single file at a time. Meanwhile the main unit sees roughly a dozen "users" reading and writing to and from several files each. Depending on where you are on this curve you may be fine to re-enable the AV now. 

None of this is particularly surprising since the core problem appears to be an issue with resource management where the AV simply takes up too much of the processing power and effectively crashes the system.

The glitch ofcourse is that you have to re-enable the AV first to update it. Also, the enable and disable function seems a bit buggy too. So if you need to disable again you might need to reboot and then immediately disable the AV. Elsewise, it might not actually disable. Then you still reboot again just to verify it is really off.

Message 34 of 68
YeZ
NETGEAR Expert
NETGEAR Expert

We have released an Anti-Virus hotfix last week, NAS units in the field running 6.6.1 should have already installed the hotfix, and the fix would be effective upon next reboot. If you haven't done a reboot since last week, you can manually reboot it therefore the antivirus hotfix will be applied properly. Thank you.

Message 35 of 68
the_Agent
Guide

Switched on Anti-Virus again yesterday on my ReadyNAS 204, the message about the 30% is correct, the rest is odd:

Fri Feb 24 2017 8:07:11    
Volume: Less than 5% of volume media's capacity is free. Performance on volume media is degraded. To improve performance, you must add capacity.
Fri Feb 24 2017 8:00:10    
Volume: System volume root's usage is 85%. This condition should not occur in normal conditions. Contact technical support.
Fri Feb 24 2017 7:57:10    
Volume: Less than 30% of volume media's capacity is free. NETGEAR recommends that you add capacity to maintain current performance levels. Continuous protection snapshots will be deleted when volume free space is less than 5%.
Thu Feb 23 2017 19:57:33    
System: Antivirus scanner definition file was updated to 57.23116.
Thu Feb 23 2017 19:36:52    
System: ReadyNASOS background service started.

Message 36 of 68
YeZ
NETGEAR Expert
NETGEAR Expert

The "media" volume is for the external USB drive attached to the NAS, nothing to worry there, we'll not query external USB drive capacity for this report moving forward, to avoid the confusion. 

"Volume: Less than 5% of volume media's capacity is free. Performance on volume media is degraded. To improve performance, you must add capacity.
Fri Feb 24 2017 8:00:10"  

The system volume root can get full in rare cases. Can you SSH onto the box and run command "df -h" and post the output on your box? 
"Volume: System volume root's usage is 85%. This condition should not occur in normal conditions. Contact technical support.
Fri Feb 24 2017 7:57:10"

Message 37 of 68
Pruss01
Aspirant

Just to provide some more feedback, I tried turning on the Anti-virus (AV) as I've had it switched off for the past month or so and the model 104 I've got is still difficult to manage and doing lots of disk activity with the AV on. The hotfix does not seem to have made much difference and the box is pretty hard to manage and use with AV on, so I've had to switch it off again. Like many here wish I had not updated to 6.6.1 so quickly!

Message 38 of 68
jtowntex
Guide

Still, thanks for trying, every little data point adds to the knowledge base. As individuals these might be petty details but sometimes the sum of these details can be informative. I obviously cannot speak for Netgear but having a variety of competencies and a variety of environments tied to these experiences really helps pin down problems. 

Looking at it from a manufacturing point of view. If I had 2 users come back saying that their stack was a few nanometers too thick it wouldn't mean much but as I receive more feedback noting the same problem then it would be clear that one of my machines were out of calibration. Well two actually - the machine that made the error and the machine that failed to catch the error. blah blah blah

Message 39 of 68
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Another customer unhappy I've also turned virus checker off since update two days ago so many false virus alerts it's flooding my mail box.

For a issue that's been reported already I cannot believe this problem still exists.

Message 40 of 68

For sure that issue is not handled very quickly!!

Thread created on 2017-01-18 04:26 PM today 2017-03-23 09:42 ZULU!!!!:(!

Message 41 of 68
Aspirant

Any update?  When will this be fixed?  I'm stil getting constant false positives.

Message 42 of 68
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

Try upgrading to 6.7 at the end of the week and let us know if it fixes it. We launched a hotfix for it to the systems but it requires a reboot after it applies -- that was readynasos 6.6.1+2

Message 43 of 68
Retired_Member
Not applicable

6.7 has solved the issue.

Message 44 of 68

the official 6.7 has not been released yet, only the beta!

Message 45 of 68
Retired_Member
Not applicable

It was the BETA I installed.

Message 46 of 68

That is what I am saying, since no official 6.7 FW were released.

Message 47 of 68
joel71960
Initiate

Any idea when the final FW will be released?  Originally when the problem came up, it was posted that the FW would be released within a matter of days.  It has been many weeks since then.

Message 48 of 68

@joel71960  They were saying it is a matter of one week or 10 days!!

That's way way too long to solve that kind of issue anyway from a customer point of view, I remember McAffee screwing up one of its updates and scrapping 2 PC of mine they made a commercial gesture et least. I had to extract the datas reformat and reinstall the things and cost me 4 days in total at that time!

Message 49 of 68
rmacbeth
Apprentice

Here it is April 29th and still no update.   I been getting a ton of these messages the past two days filling up my emails on my 214 NAS:

Sat Apr 29 2017 1:16:22 System: Antivirus scanner found a threat (Html.Exploit.CVE_2015_6075-2) in the file /tmp/clamav-9277fd7a72ba5241d31e85ddaaf9c311.tmp/nocomment.html (deleted). Please delete the infected file soon if automatic delete setting is not enabled.

any ideas?

reread all the rest of this thread and tried a reboot of my NAS and the Antivirus definations updated again this time to 57.23342  will see if that changes anythhing.  a hotfix was mention in this thread.... have not found where this hotfix is so i can try it out.

Message 50 of 68
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements