× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Lower the volume size/remove a disk permanently?

SGT_Oldy
Aspirant

Lower the volume size/remove a disk permanently?

I have a RN316 with 3x EA 2 & 4tb discs set to XRAID/RAID5 expandable. The file system has started to become corrupt. A hidden snapshot is now read-only for some reason, and the share it is in cannot be deleted.

I have started to do a backup of the data, and will do a full factory reset once complete. However there is more data than I have spare space for. So my intent is to remove a disc and use it to do part of the backup.

The question is, while the volume is expandable if I were to put a larger disk in, can the volume be DE-panded? If I remove a disc it will loose the redundancy, but can I tell it to calculate the volume down to the new size?
Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Lower the volume size/remove a disk permanently?

@SGT_Oldy wrote:

I have started to do a backup of the data, and will do a full factory reset once complete. However there is more data than I have spare space for. So my intent is to remove a disc and use it to do part of the backup.

The question is, while the volume is expandable if I were to put a larger disk in, can the volume be DE-panded? If I remove a disc it will lose the redundancy, but can I tell it to calculate the volume down to the new size?

This requires ssh, and is a bit tricky.  Not something you should attempt w/o a full backup anyway - so it's probably not the best course.   More info on this is here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Reducing-RAID-size-removing-drives-...

Personally I'd suggest investing a large enough USB disk(s) to back up the NAS, and put a regular backup plan in place.  Two 8 TB USB drives would cost about $300, and would be enough to back up your current volume.  RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe.

@SGT_Oldy wrote:
 A hidden snapshot is now read-only for some reason, and the share it is in cannot be deleted.

That was resolved already:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Could-not-delete-share-due-to-snaps...

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Lower the volume size/remove a disk permanently?

I don't think doing that procedure on an iffy file system is a good idea since it has to do a re-sync.  Better you just run it in degraded mode with one drive of the RAID missing.  Still a risk you lose everything if something goes sideways, but less risk, I think.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements