× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Lowest risk way to swap a drive in RN214

geojay
Guide

Lowest risk way to swap a drive in RN214

I currently have two 4TB drives in my NAS and would like to swap one of the drives for a new drive. What's the lowest risk way to achieve this? If I remove one of the two existing drives and replace it with the new drive, redundancy is impaired until the new drive is synced. If I introduce the new drive in addition to the two existing drives, wait for it to sync and then remove one of the original two, what will happen?

Thanks

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@geojay wrote:

I currently have two 4TB drives in my NAS and would like to swap one of the drives for a new drive. What's the lowest risk way to achieve this?

Back up the data before you do it.  You should have a backup plan anyway, as RAID just isn't enough to keep your data safe.  The only way to do that is to have at least one copy on another device.

@geojay wrote:

If I introduce the new drive in addition to the two existing drives, wait for it to sync and then remove one of the original two, what will happen?

Adding a new 4 TB drive will give you an 8 TB volume using RAID-5.  Removing any drive after that will result in an 8 TB volume that is degraded (not redundant).  Also, the volume would still be non-redundant while the volume is resyncing.

Hot-swapping one of the drives is the best way.  

BTW, What size is the new drive?  What is the reason for replacing it?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@geojay wrote:

I currently have two 4TB drives in my NAS and would like to swap one of the drives for a new drive. What's the lowest risk way to achieve this?

Back up the data before you do it.  You should have a backup plan anyway, as RAID just isn't enough to keep your data safe.  The only way to do that is to have at least one copy on another device.

@geojay wrote:

If I introduce the new drive in addition to the two existing drives, wait for it to sync and then remove one of the original two, what will happen?

Adding a new 4 TB drive will give you an 8 TB volume using RAID-5.  Removing any drive after that will result in an 8 TB volume that is degraded (not redundant).  Also, the volume would still be non-redundant while the volume is resyncing.

Message 2 of 6
geojay
Guide

@StephenB wrote:

@geojay wrote:

@geojay wrote:

Thanks, this NAS is already synced with another NAS in another location plus I'll do a local backup immediately before this swap.

I'm replacing one of the two ST4000DM000 drives with a new ST4000VN008 prior to repurposing the ST4000DM000. I figured it was best to have the new and better drive in the more important application...

Thanks for your advice 🙂

Message 3 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

The DM series has been a bit problematic for some when used in a NAS.  But mixing one "green" and one NAS-purposed drive may create new problems of it's own due to differences in spin-up times.  I'd replace te other DM as soon as I had a chance, and maybe disable spin-down till then.

Message 4 of 6
geojay
Guide

Is there a better disk for use in a NAS?
Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@geojay wrote:
Is there a better disk for use in a NAS?

Lots of folks here did have problems with the DM models early on - particularly the ST3000DM000. However, if yours have been running well and and are healthy, then I wouldn't be worried. 

It is a good idea to monitor the SMART stats regularly, and I suggest scheduling the disk test (and the other maintenance functions) via the volume settings wheel.  I run each of them every three months (spacing them out).

The best options are NAS-purposed (e.g., WD Red or Seagate Ironwolf) or Enterprise Class.  Your new 4 TB Ironwolf is a good choice. I haven't seen issues with them posted here. 

@Sandshark: The ST4000DM000 and the ST4000NV008 have the same rotation speed (5900 rpm), so there won't be a mismatch.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements