× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

MAC Yosemite cannot connect shared doc on ReadyNAS NV+

Slise
Aspirant

MAC Yosemite cannot connect shared doc on ReadyNAS NV+

Running OSX Yosemite 10.10.5 on an iMac

After having the drive plugged into a router, I've moved it so it plugs directly into my iMac.

Updated RAIDar.

RAIDar sees the drive, but the drive is not listed in the Finder.  When I try to access the Admin page through RAIDar, the error message reads that I should check my network settings.  But network connections are working property.

Drive is "healthy."

I just tried updating the firmware, as you recommended, and the .exec file won't open.  It says that it doesn't have an application that can open that file type.  Any recommendations? 

Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: MAC Yosemite cannot connect shared doc on ReadyNAS NV+

What NAS model do you have, and what firmware is it running?

What IP address and subnet mask are used by the Mac, and what IP address is RAIDar reporting for the NAS?

Message 2 of 9

Hi There,

Are you trying to access the NAS via SMB/CIFS or AFP?

If you are trying to access the NAS via SMB what can likely have happened is that the two version of SMB are different. So if they are they will not be able to interpret the file itself. I know it sound strange but there was a main changes in the version of smb.

Can you try and access the share via FTP, open the file and see if you got the same issue?

Thank you

Message 3 of 9
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Slise,

Welcome to the community!

You need to complete the info you entered here, note that this topic is an old one that is already a dead thread.

Also .exec is a file that your computer should be able to read, you must be missing an application on this computer that reads this. See this Apple forum discussion about this file.

Regards,

Message 4 of 9
Slise
Aspirant

StephenB,

ReadyNAS NV

IP address (according to RAIDar) is 192.168.2.202

Not sure about the firmware unless it's this: 2.00c1-p9 (what the RAIDar shows)

I tried opening the RAIDiator.exec file again in Terminal because it was the only application that was available and I got an error: "RAIDiator-4.1.14 can't be opened becasue it is from an unidentified developer."

Message 5 of 9
Slise
Aspirant

Vedetta_Lumbard, 

SMB

I tried accessing it through Filezilla FTP and no luck.  It said "timed out due to inactivity."

Message 6 of 9
Slise
Aspirant

JennC, I don't know what you mean by "complete the info you entered here."

See my other reply about trying to open the .exec file.  BTW, the link provided was not applicable.  The .exec file is clearly not a Pages file, nor any other document.  It's a program file so I don't understand how reassigning the file type will help.  Won't it just corrupt the file?

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Slise wrote:

StephenB,

ReadyNAS NV

IP address (according to RAIDar) is 192.168.2.202

Not sure about the firmware unless it's this: 2.00c1-p9 (what the RAIDar shows)

Yes, that is it.  Your NV is running ~10 year old firmware (released 2005-2006).  

@Slise wrote:

StephenB,

I tried opening the RAIDiator.exec file again in Terminal because it was the only application that was available and I got an error: "RAIDiator-4.1.14 can't be opened becasue it is from an unidentified developer."

It's NAS firmware for a sparc processor. Not something you run on the mac.  You need to log into the Web UI on the NAS and install it from there.

2.00c1-p9 is much older than anything I've ever run, so the web ui might be different from what I'm used to.  Today you'd choose system on the left pane, then update.  After that click the "local" tab and then "choose file".

Since your firmware is extremely old, you might be better off doing a factory reset after the firmware upgrade.  That destroys all data, so you'd need to back it up.  You should do that before applying the firmware upgrade anyway.  So I suggest

(a) moving the NAS back to the router

(b) backing up the NAS to a USB drive

(c) Upgrading the firmware

(d) do a factory reset

(e) reconfigure the NAS

(f) restore the data

Then try again on connecting it directly to the iMac.

Message 8 of 9
Slise
Aspirant

If I'm unable to access the data, much less the admin panel on the drive, how can I do a firmware update???  Any advice on how to access the drive?

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements