× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ML and still get ".....TM must create a new backup.." er

skro
Aspirant

ML and still get ".....TM must create a new backup.." error

Hi,

I'm running Mountain Lion and the latest version 4.2.21 on the ReadyNas Ultra 4 plus, and I still got that blasted "completed a verification of my backups. to improve reliability, TM must create a new backup for you" error.

What a pain....what is up with this. it is worthless if my backups are constantly corrupt and I eventually need one of them.

My options seem to be to follow the directions posted elsewhere to try to repair the file each time, or to just manually back up. Anyone know why this problem still exists? Is there a fix in the works?

Thanks!
Brandon
Message 1 of 24
skro
Aspirant

No one has chimed in, and I understand that I didn't provide much info....I just have no idea why this happens.

So, this makes me curious, has anyone had the issue with Time Machine wanting to create a completely new backup with Mountain Lion yet...don't tell me I'm the only one!
Message 2 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you do a fresh backup on ML do you still run into this issue?

I wouldn't be surprised if there were issues with TM in 10.8.0. NetGear will continue to update netatalk (AFP/Time Machine service) over time. There is a major Netatalk update that was released a little while ago that hasn't made it into ReadyNAS firmware yet. As that update isn't needed just yet I presume they're probably waiting for it to mature a bit.
Message 3 of 24
alexofindy
Aspirant

I too have the problem, and have no idea why. It did not happen when I ran Snow Leopard, but it did happen with Lion, and it continues to happen with Mountain Lion. Every few weeks, I get the error message. The last time, I actually needed to use the backup, but could not (I didn't try the filesystem repair procedure mentioned above). I have a Mac Pro, and I have switched to using an internal drive for Time Machine (not the drive I use for my system or data; in fact, most of my data lives on my Readynas). An internal drive is not as safe as a Time Machine backup stored on a readynas located in another room of my house, but the frequent failures of the backups stored on the readynas have pretty much made them useless.

Hopefully, this will be fixed. I don't know if the problem is with the Readynas or with MacOS, but it sure is a problem.
Message 4 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I believe it's a problem with Mac OS X as users with Time Capsules have had the issue too. It is a frustrating issue.
Message 5 of 24
skro
Aspirant

Hmmm. thanks for the response. I had disabled TM so that I only performed manual backups (I've never had the problem if I only manually back up), but I'll activate again and see if it is fixed.

What do you mean by " a fresh backup"? TM rebuilt its entire database once already with 10.8.0, is that enough? Or do I need to go into the ReadyNas and delete it and start over more fundamentally?

Thanks,
Brandon
Message 6 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Not sure. Personally I would have deleted the old backup and started a new one.
Message 7 of 24
bentwookie
Guide

I've had this problem before, so when I got a new machine (retina MBP) with ML, I started over from absolute scratch. After a month of trouble-free TimeMachining, I hit this tonight.

I'm running RAIDiator 4.2.21 and 10.8.1.
Message 8 of 24
thomasx
Aspirant

I have an Ultra 6 and am running RAIDiator 4.2.22 and 10.8.3 and experiencing the same. From time to Time I get the message that something is not OK and I should start a new Time Machine. When I do, it seems that everything is back to normal, but after some weeks, 4 at the most, I have to again start over.

Is the Problem more likely to be located on OSX or on the ReadyNAS?
Message 9 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You may wish to try 4.2.23 (due to be released soon).
Message 10 of 24
victorhortalive
Aspirant

thomasx wrote:
I have an Ultra 6 and am running RAIDiator 4.2.22 and 10.8.3 and experiencing the same. From time to Time I get the message that something is not OK and I should start a new Time Machine. When I do, it seems that everything is back to normal, but after some weeks, 4 at the most, I have to again start over.

Is the Problem more likely to be located on OSX or on the ReadyNAS?

AFAIK it's a well known and continuing problem with practically all NAS devices. The only one that doesn't seem to have this problem is Synergy (according to MacRumors forums). It could be that the new OS6 Netgear units will not have this as they do have versioning, but who knows. I gave up on Time Machine for this reason and depend on CCC for OSX backups.
Message 11 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

4.2.23 has a newer version of Netatalk 2.2.x than 4.2.22. ReadyNAS OS uses Netatalk 3.0.x. Netatalk is used to provide the AFP/Time Machine services on the ReadyNAS and for the other NAS manufacturers.

Interestingly SMB2 will be the default file protocol on 10.9 Mavericks, but AFP can still be used to maintain compatibility for sharing files with Macs running recent versions of Mac OS X. I wonder whether Time Machine backups to a Mac OS X 10.9 Server or a Time Capsule will still use AFP or whether there will be the option to use SMB2? If SMB2 is used, I wonder whether an implementation of Time Machine support that uses SMB2 would work any better.
Message 12 of 24
sirozha
Aspirant

Does RAIDiator 4.2.23 support SMB2?
Message 13 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

4.2.23 includes SAMBA 3.5.21 which I believe supports SMB2.
Message 14 of 24
jelockwood1
Guide

mdgm wrote:
4.2.23 includes SAMBA 3.5.21 which I believe supports SMB2.

As far as I am aware it is SAMBA 3.6 which adds SMB2 support.

See https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba3/SMB2

This would fit in with a conversation I had recently with NetGear regarding SMB2 support, i.e. 4.2.x does not currently support it.

If someone has the time, the following article shows how to use WireShark to tell what version is supported and used between a client and server.

http://richardkok.wordpress.com/2011/02 ... vironment/

I see no reason why doing the same thing between a ReadyNAS and (any) client would not work.
Message 15 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Ah, I stand corrected then. Thanks for pointing that out to me.
Message 16 of 24
vtxrider
Tutor

TM has worked for a year flawlessly until about a month ago when I got this message and had no choice but to start over, then just today I can no longer access the TM disk in my NV+v2 at all, just a message that the disk can't be found. Nothing I have tried will allow TM to find the backup disk on my ReadyNAS.
Message 17 of 24
thomasx
Aspirant

So, with 10.8.5 and 4.2.24 still the same problem here.

Has there been an official statement as to where this problem is located? And if it will be addressed (and fixed)?
I have a hard time recommending readynas to my friends, when (for the user) simple and important features don't work as wished.

Is a solution in the works or do maybe other NAS something different, so that that could be a solution for me (and others)?

Or will 10.9 change something (or everything)?
Message 18 of 24
cbredesen
Aspirant

An extra data point here. 2 MacBook Pros on my network, both running 10.9 currently. One is constantly successful, never sees the "must create new backup" message. The other one sees it every couple weeks. I have created several new backups. The successful machine has been successful in this regard using every version of OS X since TM was introduced and was supported on ReadyNAS. The unsuccessful machine was unsuccessful on 10.8 also. NV+ with RAIDiator 4.1.9 (I should probably upgrade that).
Message 19 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes, update to 4.1.12 or the 4.1.13 [RC1]: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=59222

There have been some changes since 4.1.9 that may help.

Are your Macs connected to your network via ethernet or wirelessly?
Message 20 of 24
gryhnd
Aspirant

I too have this problem, and ONLY have it with my RN104

Every few weeks or so it up and spits out this error. My TM is configured for daily, not hourly backups, fwiw.

Considering it worked fine with other NAS products on my LAN, this isn't a problem with my MBP 10.7.5

Both AFP and SMB are turned on, and I am running 6.1.1
Message 21 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Try updating to the latest firmware.
Message 22 of 24
gryhnd
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Try updating to the latest firmware.

Not unless this problem is specifically addressed by more recent FMs. There's too many problems reported with 6.1.2+ to risk it just to say I'm up-to-date.
Message 23 of 24
chhym1
Aspirant

Just hit the same problem as vtxrider.

Using a 3TB NV+ and was running 412 firmware with osx 10.8.5.

Got the message about needing to create a new backup, left laptop on overnight "doing its thing" and in the morning it had done about 1mb of 175gb over gigE wired.

Updated to 413 hoping that would resolve and it doesn't. Currently 508bytes out of 176GB completed in 30mins with an estimate of several 100 days to complete.

Timemachine seems to broken with ReadyNas which is disappointing as that what 50% of the NAS is used for.
Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements