× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: MSSQL cannot access ReadyNAS

growthIT
Aspirant

MSSQL cannot access ReadyNAS

Have a SQL maintenance plan to backup MS SQL databases to a share on the ReadyNAS.  ReadyNAS is configured for AD and imports AD accounts without issue.  SQL Server and the SQL Agent are both running under a domain admin account.  That account has been given read/write access to the ReadyNAS share.  The backup job fails because it cannot access the share.  Share is specified as \\gpnas2\sqlbackup.  I've tried it using IP instead of the ReadyNAS name and still cannot access.  I can access the share via Windows Explorer.

I also have a ReadyNAS 2120 and experience the same issues.

Model: RN3138|ReadyNAS 3138 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 5
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello growthIT,

Can you provide please the firmware version of your NAS and the version of the app?

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

Message 2 of 5
growthIT
Aspirant

Got it sorted out with support.  The issue was the file access permissions.  The one thing I don't quite get is support applied permissions from the NAS, which did work.  However, the KB article they provided on how to set up with AD shows assigning permissions from Windows itself just as you would any other share.  Given this, you would expect when looking at the security settings from Windows it would match what you see in the NAS, but it doesn't.  I'll have to play with it, but the immediate issue is resolved.

Message 3 of 5
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello growthIT,

I checked your profile and found that one of the higher tier resolved the issue. File Access was mentioned, I think what happened was there was the user/group did not have read/write access set on the file access tab, which is typically should be set to Everyone. I read that support added sqlservices and domain admins to it then it worked.

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

Regards,

Message 4 of 5
growthIT
Aspirant

Actually it was opposite of what you describe.  The share itself should have Everyone rights and the file access rights are where you get more granular.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements