× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

MTU change lost access

eset
Aspirant

MTU change lost access

I changed MTU and lost access to NAS. What is the procedure here to regain access?

Model: RN21242D|ReadyNAS 2120 1U 4- Bay 4x2TB Desktop Drive
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: MTU change lost access

Hi @eset

Did you lost access on the shares and admin page? Have you tried rebooting? one way to reset the Network settings is to perform OS-Reinstall from the Boot menu, this will not affect your data and will only reset some settings like Network and the admin page password getting back to default.

You have to make sure you follow the instructions carefully. Please see ReadyNAS 2120 Boot menu.

Hope this helps!

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @eset

Did you lost access on the shares and admin page? Have you tried rebooting? one way to reset the Network settings is to perform OS-Reinstall from the Boot menu, this will not affect your data and will only reset some settings like Network and the admin page password getting back to default.

You have to make sure you follow the instructions carefully. Please see ReadyNAS 2120 Boot menu.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@eset wrote:

I changed MTU and lost access to NAS. What is the procedure here to regain access?

What firmware are you running on the NAS?  What MTU value did you set it to use?  Are you using link aggregation?

Message 3 of 9
eset
Aspirant

No link agregation. I set 9000. Firmware the latest.

Message 4 of 9
eset
Aspirant

Nothing works. I will go with reset.

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@eset wrote:

Nothing works. I will go with reset.

The OS reinstall will set the MTU back to 1500, and configure the NAS to use DHCP.  So you should try that before doing the factory reset (which is destructive).  It will also reset the admin password to factory default (password for OS-6 NAS).  On OS-6 NAS it will also turn off the volume quota, so if you use that you'll need to reenable that.  It doesn't change other settings, and it shouldn't delete any data.

You identified the model as a rack-mount version (RN2120) above.  Did you mean that, or did you mean the RN212 (2-bay desktop model).  The boot menus are somewhat different for different hardware platforms, so it's important to know the model before you try to use them.

Message 6 of 9
eset
Aspirant

It's four bay. A rack. About that OS reinstall I see it requireds OS from USB flash. So it doesn't have OS proviosioned from ROM ? Where can I download and prepare USB with correct OS version?

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@eset wrote:

It's four bay. A rack. About that OS reinstall I see it requireds OS from USB flash. So it doesn't have OS proviosioned from ROM ? 

Normally the system boots from the disks - the OS is installed there in it's own 4 GB partition.

There is also a copy kept in the system flash memory.  That's used during system installation, and also for the reinstall process.  That copy is automatically updated by the system whenever the firmware is updated.  So it matches whatever firmware you are running now.

There is no need for you to do a USB recovery, and I don't recommend attempting one in this case.

Message 8 of 9
eset
Aspirant

Got it. Will do that.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements