× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: MacOS Mojave 10.14.1 Beta issues with AFP

rclementtx
Guide

MacOS Mojave 10.14 issues with AFP

Folks, I've been using my RN316 (latest firmware update) for years with my MacBook Pro.  I have shares configured to both AFP and SMB file protocols.  Both are set up for read/write access.  Prior to upgrading to MacOS Mojave this week, i could succesfully mount either an AFP or SMB share on my MacBook Pro, access files on the RN316 with my Microsoft Office Word or Excel and save without issue.  After my Mojave update, i find that AFP is causing aggevating lockups in my MacBookPro, iffy loads and virtually nil saves back to the RN316.  I seem to recall that this happened several years ago with another MacOS update and that it finally cured itself with a ReadyNas firmware update.  Has anyone experienced this problem???

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay
Message 1 of 14
schumaku
Guru

A little bit progressive installing an early release - macOS Mojave 10.14.1 beta - intended for developers (like the Netgear NAS people...) if you need your system and the environment working normally...

Please use a correct subject - you create the imagination this is a released version - people reading this in the future are not able to adjust the information accordingly.

Message 2 of 14
rclementtx
Guide

I'm a little bit confused here ... my release is the official 10.14 version that's available to all of us via App Store download.  Is. your note intended to mean that there is a 10.14.1 in Beta that will resolve this issue?

Message 3 of 14
schumaku
Guru

Re: MacOS Mojave 10.14 issues with AFP

Ups, indeed, it was released to the public a few days ago - mea culpa.

Message 4 of 14
rclementtx
Guide

Re 10.14.1 - is it stable enough to try or am I "buying" new issues?

Message 5 of 14
shazamm
Aspirant

having same issues, updating mojave didnt help, any recommendations?

Message 6 of 14
rclementtx
Guide

My current workaround is to access the NAS server via SMB protocol only.  I deleted all AFP connection options on my Mac (File/Go/Connect as) so that it didn't inadvertently pick one of those up.  I haven't had a lock up or lost files since.  But prior to picking up SMB protocol I had massive loss of data or files getting screwed up.  

I seem to recall that there was a similar issue that happened several years ago after either a Mac OS or Netgear firmware upgrade that was agonizing.  The solution back then was to drop my AFP connections too and revert to SMB.  Inexplicable that it would repeat itself again but with new software version ... grrrrr.

Message 7 of 14
shazamm
Aspirant

Thanks,

also noticed relaxing (removing) permissions helped, Guest access seems to work fine on AFP

Message 8 of 14
Patrick_2
Tutor

I'm having the same issue. I can connect with smb://readyshare/USB_Storage but afp://readyshare/USB_Storage does not work. I need afp for time machine. Any help welcome.
Message 9 of 14
cfred99
Aspirant

This is exactly the problem I am having. Any work arounds? I need afp to use time machine.

Message 10 of 14
mdgm
Virtuoso

Maybe switch to SMB for Time Machine. SMB Time Machine support was added recently to ReadyNAS OS. There’s a toggle in the web admin GUI.

Or go back to Mac OS X 10.13.6 ( e.g. restoring from a TM backup).

Personally I’m still running Mac OS X 10.13.6 and in no rush to upgrade, especially considering only one of my Macs can run Mojave.

Message 11 of 14
xtraa
Initiate

Hi, 

AFAIK Apple dropped AFP support a while ago, since Mavericks because SMB2 does the job. Apple has discontinued mounted AFP support when the boot drive is formatted as APFS. Exception would be AFP over TCP but it’s better to stick with SMB today. So it‘s not an issue with a .kext or driver, but because AFP slowly takes its retirement in the protocols history hall of fame. 🙂 

Message 12 of 14
Patrick_2
Tutor

I also found out that the time machine works with SMB. The problem is that my ORBI router does not support file sharing over USB. It looks like it supports only printers at the moment, even i was able to mount the drive on my macbook and share the folder. But accessing through time machine is not possible.

Message 13 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Patrick_2 wrote:

The problem is that my ORBI router does not support file sharing over USB.

You posted your issue in the ReadyNAS forum, adding it onto a thread about a ReadyNAS product.  There was no hint that your problem was with your Orbi.  Please post any future issues with your Orbi in the correct forum area (ideally identifying the Orbi model up front).  That will get you more helpful answers (and reduce confusion).

That forum area is here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-System/ct-p/home-orbi

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements