× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: MacOS Sierra breaks Time Machine on ReadyNAS

shelitiedog
Tutor

MacOS Sierra breaks Time Machine on ReadyNAS

So just updated two systems to MacOS Sierra. Mid 2010 iMac 27" and a 2015 MacBook Pro

Both we working without problem prior to the upgrade. Then Time Machine backups would spend around 24 hours "preparing backup" with the backupd taking around 98% CPU. 

In trying to fix this a removed the backup disk in Time Machine preferences and then try to add it again. New problems.......

Although the ReadyNAS shows as a Time Machine Disk and you can select it, it never connects. It stays in "Connecting" for around 30 seconds, you are not prompted for the password. And it eventually fails with "There was a problem connecting to server "XXXXX". The server may not exist or it is unavailable......." followd by 

"Time Machine can't connect to the backup disk. The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error 65.)"

What is strange is that the other shares on the NAS connect fine via AFP or CIFS

Model: ReadyNASRND4000v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Which model ReadyNAS do you have and which firmware are you running?

Message 2 of 11
shelitiedog
Tutor

Model: ReadyNAS NV+ v2

Firmware: RAIDator 5.3.12

Message 3 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you login to AFP as the "ReadyNAS" (no quotes - Time Machine user on the ReadyNAS) what happens?

Message 4 of 11
shelitiedog
Tutor

That works without problem. I have recorded a Quicktime video to show the issue.

Using Finder

• You can see that I can successfully login as "ReadyNAS" to the device
  • You can see the sparsebundles from when the backups did work

Time Machine Preferences

• Trys to connect to the disk
  • No password details requested
  • Comes back with an error messages

You will notice I also have a Apple Time Capsule device, this works without issue.

This is the link to the video

https://ibm.box.com/s/wazlf1x69isg4z0zb4lso6gqdswrxbgi

Message 5 of 11
shelitiedog
Tutor

Same discussion happening on the Synology Forum

https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=122975

Message 6 of 11
svergie2
Aspirant

I've got the exact same problem, but the strange thin is that Time Machine has been working throughout all of the public betas...

Model: ReadyNASRND2110v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2
Message 7 of 11
shelitiedog
Tutor

OK can back up and running.

Mount the ReadyNAS Time Machine Volume via afp prior to selecting the backup disk in Time Machine Preference.

Select the disk you have just mounted for the backup destination (I had anotther ReadyNAS volume being displayed which I ignored)

Time Machine successfully completed the backup.

You can dismount the and subsequent Time Machine backups still run.

Also their is a known issue with Sophos causing Time Machine to run very slowly.

https://community.sophos.com/products/sophos-home/f/sophos-home-for-mac/80712/time-machine-fails-sin...

Crude solution to fix has been to disable Sophos

Message 8 of 11
shelitiedog
Tutor

OK can back up and running.

Mount the ReadyNAS Time Machine Volume via afp prior to selecting the backup disk in Time Machine Preference.

Select the disk you have just mounted for the backup destination (I had anotther ReadyNAS volume being displayed which I ignored)

Time Machine successfully completed the backup.

You can dismount the and subsequent Time Machine backups still run.

Also their is a known issue with Sophos causing Time Machine to run very slowly.

https://community.sophos.com/products/sophos-home/f/sophos-home-for-mac/80712/time-machine-fails-sin...

Crude solution to fix this is to disable Sophos, but the backups now take the expected amount of time.

Message 9 of 11
rmacbeth
Apprentice

I have ReadyNAS 214 firmware 6.6.0 running MacOS Sierra.  Both my iMac and Macbook Pro were working with Time Machine to the NAS with no issues on OS 10.11 I reloaded both my  iMac and Macbook Pro with Sierra and restored my data etc from the Time Machine backups off the NAS with no issues.  Untill after rebooting then my Time Machine backups started failing on both machines.  This is the error that I now get.  Eiditng the Keychain and also deleteing the ID in the keychain does not fix the problem.  I also have a call open in Apple on this.

Keychain error with Time Machine-1.jpg

Any help would be appreciated

Rich

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 10 of 11
montspolsky
Aspirant

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies