× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Many security_mode=share issues here, what's the problem?

Michael_Oz
Luminary

Many security_mode=share issues here, what's the problem?

With Security Mode=share, people are having issues with new, non passworded shares, where Windows (7 & Vista & I think XP) asks for a userid/password for what should be an open/guest access.

Seems the default 'backup'/'media' shares are OK. New X-RAID shares and new plugged in USB shares have the problem.

(for me I noticed this after .10 upgrade - but I have not been actively changing much before so this may be incidental)

So, I ask a simple question (or 2): (for Security mode=share)

Q1. If I add a share, without password, to X-RAID with default options (which defaults to read/write, no host restrictions, with a owner of 'share-name' and group of 'nogroup' & the three group right of read/write), should I be able to access that share from any windows box on the network (workgroup) without a password?

Similarly,

Q2. If I plug in a usb drive, which creates a share called usb_hdd_X, should I similarly be able to access it?
Message 1 of 18
Michael_Oz
Luminary

Re: Many security_mode=share issues here, what's the problem

Downgraded to 4.1.8, it now works for normal shares, still testing USB.

I tried 4.1.9 same problem.

Shares created with .9 & .10 still prompt for password but new ones don't.
Message 2 of 18
Michael_Oz
Luminary

I have logged a support request.

The reference number is 20347854.

p.s.
Created a new Share under 4.1.8 and can access from Windows OK - no password prompt.

Rolled forward to 4.1.9, above Share still OK, but new Share causes Windows to prompt for password.
Message 3 of 18
Michael_Oz
Luminary

I have been dealing with support re this.

Please see the latest update from L3 Engineer:

I debugged this issue again in 4.1.10 yesterday. After ReadyNAS firmware upgrade from 4.1.8 to 4.1.10, the samba model also upgrade from 3.0.37 to 3.5.16. If user created a new share when NAS run firmware 4.1.10, it would add a new property for the share.

Below is the key information:

nas-06-3F-A6:/etc/samba# cat smbpasswd
test-4.1.8:1003:NO PASSWORDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:NO PASSWORDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:[NU ]:LCT-00000000:
test-4.1.10:1004:NO PASSWORDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:NO PASSWORDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:[NDU ]:LCT-00000000: # which means samba disallow user access this share.

If you edit this configuration file delete parameter “D”, restart the samba, then it would be access without password.

I did not know whether this is samba 3.5.16 issue or our NAS FrontView issue. My colleague told me the NAS and Samba 3.5.16 has some compatibility issue when it worked “Share” mode. Our recommend solution is changed to “User” mode, and most of our user accepted our suggestion.

I am sorry I give you unclear information, because the ReadyNAS NV+ 4.1.10 is stable firmware, I did not know when we will release a new firmware, so I give you a unclear feedback.

Now there are 2 solutions:
Now there are 2 solutions:

1. Changed to “User” mode,
2. Edit the /etc/samba/smbpasswd configuration file and delete the parameter “D”, then it would be worked.

- Question: Why the share be create in 4.1.8 can be access without password?

- Answer: because when NAS worked in 4.1.8, and user create a share, it has not parameter “D”, so it can be work.

I replied that what would be better would be to find what is incorrectly putting the "D" there and fixing it.

In the mean time, if you want to use 'Share' mode go back to 4.1.8.

I'm holding my breath...
Message 4 of 18
Michael_Oz
Luminary

For info, the change to 'User' mode did not go smoothly, my backups (Windows) now get 'Access Denied'. I knew it wasn't gona be easy...

That and other overheads in 'User' mode is why I want plain old Share mode.

EDIT It gets worse, I can't add anything to existing folders in shares. /EDIT
Message 5 of 18
Michael_Oz
Luminary

Other thread with what appears to be the same issue:
Add share problem after factory install. Two other users
Login required to new share on ReadyNAS NV?. Two more users
"Enter Network Password" on new share. Two more users
New NAS, securitymode = SHARE, can't accesss. One more user
Changing from Shared to User Security Mode. One more user.
Cannot connect to new USB disk. Two more users.

I gave up looking.
Message 6 of 18
chirpa
Luminary

NTGR abandoned Share security mode a few years ago. User mode with Guest access was the replacement, but not fully tested obviously for all scenarios.

Since its not supported anymore, and was only on Sparc, which is EOL, I doubt you'll see anything from NTGR on the issue.
Message 7 of 18
Michael_Oz
Luminary

chirpa wrote:
NTGR abandoned Share security mode a few years ago. User mode with Guest access was the replacement, but not fully tested obviously for all scenarios.

Since its not supported anymore, and was only on Sparc, which is EOL, I doubt you'll see anything from NTGR on the issue.

'a few years ago' I bought it 6 months ago. It's default setting was SHARE. So Netgear abandons users that soon!

Netgear support, logs on remotely, changes to User mode (without asking), TOTALLY STUFFING UP all existing folders. F-ME!

I EXPECT BETTER SUPPORT. Don't you? Why would I buy another product from such a company?
Message 8 of 18
Michael_Oz
Luminary

So further:

As my Windows backups failed, I renamed, on the NAS the 'WindowsImageBackup' directory' to *old, so that the backup could have a new empty target.

So good for a while. New backup is running, taking forever as it is a new full backup...

Then hours later...Windows backup errors 0x81000037

See Microsoft

These issues occur because the folders or libraries that you are trying to back up or restore include a reparse point.
Reparse points resemble Windows shortcuts or to Unix symbolic links. A reparse point may be used to point to a file that is temporarily relocated on a different drive. For example, a reparse point would allow a folder such as C:\DVD to point to Drive E, the actual DVD drive.

Issue 2
This issue occurs if the reparse point is a mounted volume that contains compressed files (for example, multimedia files, .zip files, and so on).

Work around issues that occur when you try to back up files
Issue 1 and Issue 2
To work around these issues, remove the reparse point from the library, and then run the backup wizard again. To back up content for this reparse point (in this case, the FAT volume or the mounted volume), select the absolute path of this location in the Windows Backup configuration user interface.

To locate reparse point folder or its subfolder, follow these steps:

Click Start button, type CMD in the Search program and files box and then press Enter.
In the Command Prompt window, type DIR /AL /S and then press Enter. The list of JUNCTION (one type of reparse point) list is displayed.

Note You see several entries that say "junction" and the location that the entries point to (“junction point” is another name for “reparse point”). When a program tries to write to a directory that is really a reparse point, those files are sent (completely blindly to that program) to the other directory instead.

To delete mounted volume reparse point, follow these steps:

Locate the reparse point you found, right click the reparse point icon and click Properties.
In the General tab, confirm the folder Type is Mounted Volume and then delete this folder.

Continued....

EDIT Backups had been working weekly, without issues, before the USER mode 'fix' /EDIT
Message 9 of 18
Michael_Oz
Luminary

Well, NO "mounted volume reparse point"s just the normal Windows stuff. AArgh.

27/09/2011 14:45 <JUNCTION> Application Data [C:\Users\X\AppData\Roaming]
    27/09/2011 14:45 <JUNCTION> Cookies [C:\Users\X\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft
    27/09/2011 14:45 <JUNCTION> Local Settings [C:\Users\X\AppData\Local]
    27/09/2011 14:45 <JUNCTION> My Documents [C:\Users\X\Documents]
    27/09/2011 14:45 <JUNCTION> NetHood [C:\Users\X\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft
    27/09/2011 14:45 <JUNCTION> PrintHood [C:\Users\X\AppData\Roaming\Microso
    27/09/2011 14:45 <JUNCTION> Recent [C:\Users\X\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\
    27/09/2011 14:45 <JUNCTION> SendTo [C:\Users\X\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\
    27/09/2011 14:45 <JUNCTION> Start Menu [C:\Users\X\AppData\Roaming\Micros
    27/09/2011 14:45 <JUNCTION> Templates [C:\Users\X\AppData\Roaming\Microso
    0 File(s) 0 bytes

Directory of C:\Users\X\AppData\Local

27/09/2011 14:45 <JUNCTION> Application Data [C:\Users\X\AppData\Local]
    27/09/2011 14:45 <JUNCTION> History [C:\Users\X\AppData\Local\Microsoft\W
    27/09/2011 14:45 <JUNCTION> Temporary Internet Files [C:\Users\X\AppData\

So...?
Message 10 of 18
chirpa
Luminary

The Duo shipped without Share security mode, only User security mode (2008). NV+ users using previous firmware on Share mode then upgrading kept it, but if they factory defaulted on v4, Share mode would disappear.

Systems can sit on store shelves for awhile, you bought it six months ago, but they stopped production of them at least a year ago.
Message 11 of 18
cmajewsk
Aspirant

I am on an RN600 running 4.1.10, and user security mode is too much overhead for my environment. It seems like editing the configuration file would be easier. I am not often creating shares, just adding to them. Can anyone give me instructions on how to:

Edit the /etc/samba/smbpasswd configuration file and delete the parameter “D”
Message 12 of 18
cmajewsk
Aspirant

About a month an no reply. I guess it's either user mode, or downgrading the firmware. What is the best option?
Message 13 of 18
cmajewsk
Aspirant

How do I downgrade the firmware to 4.1.8?
Message 14 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

To downgrade the firmware you would need to do a local update: http://www.readynas.com/RAIDiator_4_1_8_Notes

I reckon changing to user mode would be a better option. Share mode is EOL.
Message 15 of 18
cmajewsk
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
To downgrade the firmware you would need to do a local update: http://www.readynas.com/RAIDiator_4_1_8_Notes

I reckon changing to user mode would be a better option. Share mode is EOL.

Thanks. But the RN600 itself has been EOL for a while, and it's in a very small environment - so I'll try the firmware downgrade. Thanks again.
Message 16 of 18
heybrakywacky
Aspirant

In case anyone wants to go with the "fix the smbpasswd file" fix proposed upthread, I just went through that process, end to end with the 4.1.12 firmware, and can confirm that it works. I'll run through how to do this at a high level; hopefully the details in between will be evident. NOTE: You have to know a bit of Linux/Unix to do this. If you're not comfortable working at the command line of a Linux login, you should strongly consider one of the other options. If you make a false move, your unit could stop functioning properly. NOTE 2: This applies to the NV+ v1. I don't know if there are varying details for the other ReadyNAS systems.

1. Install the "Enable Root SSH Access" add-on, found at http://www.readynas.com/?p=4203. Grab the sparc version, as that's the underlying architecture of the NV+ v1. See the instructions in the ReadyNAS RAIDiator 4.1 Software Manual for installing add-ons. Note that, by installing this add-on, Netgear may deny support for the unit (I'm assuming the "may" is because you could wreck things on your NAS if you start doing the wrong thing as root).

2. SSH into the NAS (I use Cygwin on Windows): ssh root@[NAS machine name or address], e.g. ssh root@192.168.1.100

3. Edit /etc/samba/smbpasswd. I know that the 'vi' editor is available. I don't know what other editors are there. Remove the 'D' for any share that you care to access, where it's defined in the brackets. E.g. [NDU] becomes [NU].

4. Restart samba: /etc/init.d/samba restart

5. Enjoy your newly-accessible shares.

Note that if you want to use this approach, you'll have to do it for every new share you add, unfortunately. It's pretty easy, once you've done it the first time though. Anyway, I hope this helps others. It seemed like the best option for me.
Message 17 of 18
Michael_Oz
Luminary

Thanks for that, should help others. I've stuck with user mode, had to re-create everything. I would have been better editing the smb config.

WHATEVER YOU (future people with this issue) DO, DO NOT LET SUPPORT CHANGE IT TO USER MODE BY LOGGING IN REMOTELY. That stuffed me up no end, and the issues were not immediately obvious.

If you want User mode, If I was you I would copy data off, factory reset, delete shares, change to User Mode, create shares, copy data back. Test access and normal function before recycling your copied data.
Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements