× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Massive performance issues under 6.4.2. on a RN312

lorenz
Aspirant

Massive performance issues under 6.4.2. on a RN312

Hi there,

since upgrading to 6.4.2. my RN312 essentially comes to a halt every 3-4 days. system load gradually goes up dramatically and the process list is showing tens of fuser processes that were not there before. turning off anti virus does not change things, turning off the two other apps running on it, don't change things either. as it co-incides with installation of 6.4.2. that's my most likely root cause. only way to get things going again is a re-boot.

does anybody else experience something similar? or are you guys at netgear aware of the issue?

any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated...

best,

Lorenz

Message 1 of 24
StephenB
Guru

Re: Massive performance issues under 6.4.2. on a RN312

I haven't seen that with either the RN100 or RN200.

What apps are installed?

Message 2 of 24
lorenz
Aspirant

the insallted apps are:

- anti virus plus

- contacts & calendars server &

- bittorrent sync

however all three have been turned off / uninstalled without changing the outcome. also as the start of the issues co-incides with upgrading to 6.4.2 I'd be pretty surprised if it ended up not being the firmware upgrade that is responsible.

will be travelling for a few days, but if there is no resolution here, I'll probably downgrade the firmware as the next step...

Message 3 of 24
StephenB
Guru

You likely have lifetime chat support (assuming you purchased new).  You might want to take advantage of that.

Possibly someone from Netgear here will want to see the logs.

Message 4 of 24
lorenz
Aspirant

thanks, will do...

Message 5 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 6 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Were you able to download the logs?

Message 7 of 24
floslight
Aspirant

I have the similar issue here. Both a Mac and a Windows machine are having serious issues to get to the different shares.

Model: RN31664E|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay 6x4TB Enterprise Drive
Message 8 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@floslight wrote:

I have the similar issue here. Both a Mac and a Windows machine are having serious issues to get to the different shares.

Is Antivirus disabled?

Message 9 of 24
floslight
Aspirant

No, AntiVirus is enabled ... but I just realize that disabling it changes EVERYTHING ...

... on the Mac the NAS is responsive again and presents the folders and on the Windows machine it really flies hyperfast.

Thanks!

Message 10 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

lorenz, which apps do you have installed? Are you able to try 6.5.0 Beta 1?

Message 11 of 24
lorenz
Aspirant

I am running

antivirus plus - which I have disable early on (and it is still disabled), with no effect

bittorrent sync - disabled that for a few days, with no change in symptoms either. am running it again now as I need it.

calendar & contacts server (baikal) - same as with bittorrent sync.

could certainly try the 6.5 beta, am just concerned if the 6.4.2. production software is already causing such severe issues, what a beta version could do. did you find anything in the logs I sent?

thanks,

Lorenz

Message 12 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@lorenz wrote:

antivirus plus - which I have disable early on (and it is still disabled), with no effect

Just to clarify - you disabled the antivirus service from the system->settings page?

Message 13 of 24
lorenz
Aspirant

yes indeed....and on the system / overview page it says:

Antivirus: disabled

alongside a red filled circle...

best,

Lorenz

Message 14 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@lorenz wrote:

Antivirus: disabled alongside a red filled circle...

Good.  Some folks have confused the antivirus plus app with the service - and didn't actually disable the service.

So your issues have a different cause.

Message 15 of 24
lorenz
Aspirant

I would agree..:-)...any pointers from the log files I sent?

Message 16 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@lorenz wrote:

I would agree..:-)...any pointers from the log files I sent?

You'll need mdgm to respond.  

Message 17 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Your volume is quite full and there is quite a bit of fragmentation. You might wish to see if deleting some snapshots and freeing up some space helps.

Do you have a backup of your data?

Message 18 of 24
lorenz
Aspirant

no, I don't have a backup - that's why I use the NAS to begin with, to have redundant drives...:-)...

is there a way to delete snapshots in bulk (it seems almost half the space used is snapshots) or do I have to do that manually? will delete them based on your feedback, then de-frag and report back...

best,

Lorenz

Message 19 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The redundancy that some RAID levels provide, and backup are two different things.

There are a whole range of problems that RAID doesn't protect you against. Important data should be stored on multiple devices.

One can delete them in bulk from the backend, but from the UI you would need to select the ones you want to delete.

Message 20 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

One can delete them in bulk from the backend, but from the UI you would need to select the ones you want to delete.

You can select more than one at a time in the UI though.

If you go with manual deletion, delete the oldest first.

Message 21 of 24
lorenz
Aspirant

could you please point me to a reference/guide for the bulk deletion on the backend?....that will speed up the process....will delete all the snapshots, defrag and then report back if this solved the problem....

cheers,

Lorenz

Message 22 of 24
lorenz
Aspirant

reporting back: I have deleted about 80% of the snapshots, so I have 2.3TB free disk space now. completed defrag, pretty quickly (2-3h).

however: the problem remains....sluggish to no response from the NAS, a system load north of 100

(top - 16:43:55 up 2 days,  5:50,  1 user,  load average: 102.27, 100.69, 99.44), many fuser processes that were not there before....this is starting to get annoying...only way to fix is reboot every 2-3 days...

thanks for your help...

Lorenz

Message 23 of 24
lorenz
Aspirant

Re: Massive performance issues under 6.5.0 (& previously 6.4.2) on a RN312

I had helped myself with rebooting the box every night through power management. which kind of worked, until I upgraded to 6.5.0 naively assuming it would improve things. boy, was I wrong. now I can't even make it through a single day before the NAS becomes sluggish and the time machine backups of my mac seem to be corrupted straight after the 1st backup, so it requests a new backup every day.

netgear what is wrong with you? this is supposed to be business class gear, however it feels like being an alpha tester...

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements