× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Maximum USB Drive Size Readnas 600/X6

GRS1
Tutor

Maximum USB Drive Size Readnas 600/X6

Simple question, how big of a USB drive can I connect to the old 600.  Frontview identifies it as an X6, but not surprising.  Empirically, I think its 2GB, but I just want to verify.

Thanks.

Model: ReadyNAS-X6|ReadyNAS X6
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

2 TB is the largest size with any Sparc-based ReadyNAS (including the Infrant models).  Note that this requires firmware 4.1.7 firmware or later running in the NAS (the last firmware release was 4.1.16). 

If you want to use 2 TB drives internally, then a factory default would be needed to get 4K sector alignment (which gives the best performance).

Message 2 of 4
GRS1
Tutor

As expected.  Would it sucessfully format a 3GB drive as 2GB?  I'm trying it, it says its doing it, but its taking quite a while...

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@GRS1 wrote:

As expected.  Would it sucessfully format a 3GB drive as 2GB?  I'm trying it, it says its doing it, but its taking quite a while...

No.  It will format it, but you'll end up with ~700 GB of space (and it likely won't work properly in other systems).  The system can't handle GPT formatting, and the attempts to figure out the disk size overflow.

There is no good workaround.

Note that the USB speeds in your NAS are extremely slow anyway - the fastest way to get data onto a USB disk is to connect it to a PC and transfer the data over wired ethernet from the NAS.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements