× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Maximum volume size for RN104

The_Belgain
Aspirant

Maximum volume size for RN104

Hi there, I'm new to these forums and considering buying a Netgear RN104 NAS. I'd initially be putting probably 2x3TB drives in there, but with a view to future-proofing by first filling the extra bays, and then replacing the 3TB drives with larger ones down the line to increase the overall array size.

I was slightly surprised to see maximum volume sizes specified in the product description - the RN104 says 16TB max, and the compatibility list doesn't have any drive >4TB listed for it. Can I check with someone from Netgear whether this limitation is going to be lifter via a software update? Other than longer resync times I can't really see why there would be any arbitrary limit on volume sizes (other than for marketing reasons). ReadyNas uses brtfs under the covers which doesn't have any (practical) volume limitations.

If there's genuinely a 16TB limitation which isn't going to be lifted then I may have to look elsewhere (I know the RN204 has a 24TB limitation, but I have the same objection there). 5 years down the line I'd like to be using the same NAS, and I expect I'll have 4x10TB drives or similar.
Message 1 of 11
StephenB
Guru

The 16 TB limitation in the RN100 series is because of the addressing limitations in the ARM processor. So that will not be resolved in a future firmware update.

You can use > 4 TB drives in the RN100 as long as the each volume does not exceed 16 TB. For instance, you could install four 6 TB disks in jbod mode (4 volumes of 6 TB each). However, as you say there are no drives > 4 TB on the HCL.

The RN200 series has a newer ARM processor that does not have that limitation. The 24 TB limitation is simply because 6 TB are the largest size drives currently on the HCL. There is no reason that larger future drives couldn't be used when they come out.

(disclaimer: I don't work for netgear).
Message 2 of 11
The_Belgain
Aspirant

Thanks for reply Stephen - that makes sense. The RN204 isn't on sale in Australia as far as I can see, so I'll have to look elsewhere then.
Message 3 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There is also the RN314 which supports volumes > 16TB.
Message 4 of 11
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

The volume limitation is removed in 6.4.0.

Message 5 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@kohdee wrote:

The volume limitation is removed in 6.4.0.

Which I take to mean that there is no spec'd limit.

With current drive technology (8 TB size) you could get a 24 TB RAID-5 volume, or even a 32 TB RAID-0 volume (a bad idea, but possible).

Message 6 of 11
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

Right. The existing limitations were resolved when we moved to the latest kernel. The skys, the limits 😛 

Message 7 of 11
D_Ace
Aspirant

Sorry, old thread but does that incluse the RN100 series as well (i.e. RN104)? I'm assuming the ARM processor limitations as mentioned at the start of the thread still factor in regardless of kernel update?

Thanks

D

Message 8 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@D_Ace wrote:

Sorry, old thread but does that incluse the RN100 series as well (i.e. RN104)? I'm assuming the ARM processor limitations as mentioned at the start of the thread still factor in regardless of kernel update?

Thanks

D

They removed the 16 TB volume size limitation for the RN100 series.  The RN300 and RN500 never had that limitation.

Message 9 of 11
D_Ace
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB...now just have to save up pennies for 6TB drives 🐵

D

Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@D_Ace wrote:

Thanks StephenB...now just have to save up pennies for 6TB drives 🐵

D

I have 2 WD60EFRX, and am waiting/hoping for a price drop to get 1-2 more.  

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements