× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Memory upgrade on Duo - idiots guide please

Ridcully
Aspirant

Memory upgrade on Duo - idiots guide please

Anyone have a link to an idiots guide on upgrading the memory on a Duo. Nothing in the manual that I can see

Cheers
Message 1 of 9
InTheShires
Tutor

Re: Memory upgrade on Duo - idiots guide please

Ridcully wrote:
Anyone have a link to an idiots guide on upgrading the memory on a Duo. Nothing in the manual that I can see

Cheers

There is very little to it. Buy the compatible RAM, take the NAS apart, take out old RAM, insert new stick. Run memory test on NAS at least twice.

All the info you need is on these boards, I know because I found it when I upgraded my memory soon after buying the NAS.
Message 2 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

A reason why there is nothing in the manual is because it is neither supported nor recommended. Incompatible memory can cause data corruption. Memory manufacturers have been prone to update memory modules rendering previously compatible modules, incompatible. As a result there is no longer a compatibility list for memory.
Message 3 of 9
Ridcully
Aspirant

Slightly confused as according to the specification the DUO is able to be upgraded. I know about the HCL but what I can't find is the intructions to fit hardware compatible memory
Message 4 of 9
InTheShires
Tutor

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=27509

http://www.ehow.com/how_7207471_upgrade ... emory.html

Should help.

The issue these days is that the RAM manufacturers changed their product labelling format, so old, previous "supported" listings, don't match up with today's modern RAM labels. You'll have to wing it.

FWIW, I went with Crucial, hard to beat them.
Message 5 of 9
Ridcully
Aspirant

many thanks.

Sorted. Memory test past twice and now on 1 GB 😄
Message 6 of 9
Nibble
Aspirant

Hi
did this improve the speed of your Duo? and what memory did you install in the end?
thanks!
Message 7 of 9
Ridcully
Aspirant

Can't honestly say I notice a difference.

Went with a Crucial module that used to be on HCL
Message 8 of 9
InTheShires
Tutor

Nibble wrote:
Hi
did this improve the speed of your Duo? and what memory did you install in the end?
thanks!

I think there was a small improvement with Frontview, but it's mainly the addons that benefit most, especially things like torrents etc.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements