× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Message volume encountered an error and was made read-only. It is recommended to backup your data.

ronaldvr2132
Apprentice

Message volume encountered an error and was made read-only. It is recommended to backup your data.

I get the above message on my RB628X which is already my back-up NAS. This back-up NAS is on a remote location where no one is and no one is using the NAS as well. This particular RN628X is not doing anything other then once per day receive incremental back-ups from my other RN628X NAS. What can I do here? The NAS is still accesible and I see that the volume is read-only and that the space allocated to snapshots is 0 which is not correct.

What I did do a few weeks/months before this error message is that I canceled a disk scrub a few weeks or months before this date as it was already running for more then 10 days and it was consuming a lot of resources on the NAS. This isssue is related to the fact that doing a disk scrub results in doing two taks at the same time which influence eacht other I found out. This issue of the Diskscrub is already reported a long time ago and it would be nice if Netgear fixes this bug as soon as possible! But for now what can I do the best? I am using ReadyNAS devices already from the Infrant time, but since I am using the RN628X's I have had a lot of issues that should not occur. 

Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Message volume encountered an error and was made read-only. It is recommended to backup your dat

@ronaldvr2132 wrote:

I get the above message on my RB628X which is already my back-up NAS. This back-up NAS is on a remote location where no one is and no one is using the NAS as well. This particular RN628X is not doing anything other then once per day receive incremental back-ups from my other RN628X NAS. What can I do here? The NAS is still accesible and I see that the volume is read-only and that the space allocated to snapshots is 0 which is not correct.

Download the log zip file, and look for btrfs errors in system.log and kernel.log. More than likely you will find them.

Also look for disk errors in those logs, and at the SMART stats in disk_info.log.  OS-6 has quite high thresholds for reallocated and pending sectors - much higher than what I generally use.  So it is possible that a disk is failing despite the green status.

If the disks are healthy, but the volume has BTRFS corruption, then the best thing to do is a factory default, reconfigure the NAS, and start over on the backups.  I realize this is painful (and will take a long time over the internet).

Overall - is the remote NAS protected by a UPS?  Volume corruption can result if the NAS is unexpectedly shut down, due to lost writes that are still cached.

Message 2 of 6
ronaldvr2132
Apprentice

Re: Message volume encountered an error and was made read-only. It is recommended to backup your dat

Hi @StephenB thank you for the reply. I looked in the disk logs and don't see something strange. All the disks seems to be healty.

Furthemore I looked for BTRFS corruption and found the following messages:

Kernel log:

kernel: BTRFS error (device dm-0): parent transid verify failed on 25195445682176 wanted 686858 found 675093

System log:

delete snapshot failed, ioctl(BTRFS_IOC_SNAP_DESTROY) failed, errno:30 (Read-only file system)

The system is on a UPS and is for 1 hour per day receiving data. The logs go only back 2 days and the erroro message about the volume occured on November 30th at the time that the back up was send over from my main RN628X to this back-up one. There was no power failure and the disks are oke. This is what I see in the Logs on the webui:

Nov 30, 2019 12:38:57 AM (yellow round) Volume: The volume XXXXX encountered an error and was made read-only. It is recommended to backup your data.

This RN628X has been exchanged with a new one because of my old one got bricked when it got stuck (unexplained why) during a firmware update. Other then this this is a NAS that is only used for back-up purposes and is behind a UPS. During the time that this error occured I can't think of any reason why the volume gor corrupted. Rebuilding the NAS would be a big frustration for me to be honest as sending over the data via internet would take a very long time. Hope we can stay away from this.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@ronaldvr2132 wrote:

Furthemore I looked for BTRFS corruption and found the following messages:

Kernel log:

kernel: BTRFS error (device dm-0): parent transid verify failed on 25195445682176 wanted 686858 found 675093

Nov 30, 2019 12:38:57 AM (yellow round) Volume: The volume XXXXX encountered an error and was made read-only. It is recommended to backup your data.

Rebuilding the NAS would be a big frustration for me to be honest as sending over the data via internet would take a very long time. Hope we can stay away from this.

I think the best way to deal with this is to rebuild the NAS.  One reason is the dm-0 is the OS partition, not the data volume.

Paid support might be able to fix it remotely though - since you have access to the web ui, you should be able to enable the diagnostic mode.

Message 4 of 6
ronaldvr2132
Apprentice

Hi @StephenB is this diagnostic mode something that I can do or only paid support and how can I contact them? The NAS by the way seems to be doing everything that I expect it to do including disk checks, which finish normally. The status shows as Healthy on the overview tab as well by the way. The only thing is that the volume is read-only meaning that it can't be used as a back-up. I am now close to it so I can do a restart or other things as well. The uptime of the NAS is more then 61 days so the issue with my volume did not occur due to a power outage (and it is behind a UPS as well so will be shut down safely in case on a longer power outage). I can't think of any reason why my volume got issues all in a sudden. This is worrying me as I choose the RN628X to have reliable equipment. This has not been the case for me so far. On my main NAS I had to SSH into it with the help of a colleague of mine to delete files that without any reason were created and were eating up system space so that 90% was occupied. And this second RN628X which now has a volume issue is already a replacement as the original RN628X got bricked due to a firmware update. Definitely not something I would expect from these devices in my usage cases. Anyway back to the topic I do hope that the NAS can be fully functional soon without a new build up as that will take a very long time for me to sync the data over internet. Would a reboot be something that I should try?

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@ronaldvr2132 wrote:

The only thing is that the volume is read-only meaning that it can't be used as a back-up. 

That is not normal, and indicates that the volume isn't healthy.  You can of course set up shares with read-only access - but a read-only volume is quite different.  The NAS makes the volume read-only when it finds a problem - in order to protect your data.

You should definitely make a backup if you don't have one.

@ronaldvr2132 wrote:

Hi @StephenB is this diagnostic mode something that I can do or only paid support and how can I contact them? T

There are modes that Netgear can use to log in remotely.  Diagnostic mode is a setting in the admin web ui, and you can't access the NAS that way.  There is also tech support mode - which you get into from the boot menu.  You can access the NAS using telnet in this mode (you end up running the linux command line, similar to ssh).

In any event, you access paid support via my.netgear.com.   You don't want the gearhead support (that isn't for the NAS).  Ideally you'd get per-incident support.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements