× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Migrate Hard Drives from one RN104 to another RN104

euphos
Aspirant

Migrate Hard Drives from one RN104 to another RN104

I have a new RN104 coming from an RMA for my current RN104. Are there any tricks to swapping the disks from the old one to the new one? According to a couple of threads I read on my search, it appears as long as I keep the order correct, it should work. So I assume I should make sure the new unit is on the same firmware revision (will I need a hard drive in the unit?), then power down both, swap my (4) disks into the new unit, and I'm good to go?

I do have backups if needed, but I hope to not be out of commission too long in the process. My kids TV shows & movies are on the unit!
Message 1 of 6
vandermerwe
Master

What firmware is currentLy on the 104?

You are correct, but it would be useful to know what firmware was on when the volume was set up, see here:
viewtopic.php?f=154&t=74192

If you set up the volume before 6.1.5, there may be some value in recreating the volume and restoring from backup or setting up with new disks and copying from old to new nas.

Otherwise, these are the steps ( as you have already discovered)

1. Backup.
2. Spare disk into new nas, upgrade firmware to latest. It needs to be the same or a later version.
3. Power down both units. Remove spare disk.
4. Remove disks from old unit and insert into new unit in same slots.
5. Power on new unit.
Message 2 of 6
euphos
Aspirant

I was on 6.2.4, but went back to 6.2.3 Beta 5 trying to fix some problems. I believe I was on an earlier version than 6.1.5 when I originally purchased the unit. Is there a way to determine this by the logs or some other way? Does PHPSysInfo show this somewhere?
Message 3 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

initrd.log in the logs shows the firmware update / os re-install history since the last factory reset.
Message 4 of 6
logster_99
Aspirant

Same issue with the lockups here.

I am now trying the beta that some people have had luck with http://www.readynas.com/download/beta/readynasos/6.2.3/ReadyNASOS-6.2.3-T1721-arm.img

Very close to throwing this thing out, getting a Synology and swearing off all Netgear equipment. If Netgear can ship me a replacement with 6.1, you can have the one I have!
Message 5 of 6
logster_99
Aspirant

Update - Netgear replaced my RN104 under warranty and it has been 2 weeks now, one week test, one week with data restored and no crashes so far. Still keeping my fingers crossed.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements