× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Migrate a volume os6 readynas 316 to 516

pgjscottieuk
Guide

Migrate a volume os6 readynas 316 to 516

I am currently running a 516 poppulated with 6 wd 4tb drives in raid 6 i have a backup nas 316 poppulated with 6 seagate iron wolf pro 10tb running same up to date firmware.

I want to expand the 516 with 10tb drives but know vertical expansion will take a long time and could fail anyway

Is it possible to remove the disks from the 316 and migrate them in same bay sequence to the 516 and then put 6 more 10tb drives in the 316 resync and do a back up from the 516

My thoughts were to shut down the 516 migrate the disks over from the 316 and then boot would this work or would it not recognise the volume and delete it

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 39

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Whether the 516 gets the same IP depends on how it is assigned.  If it is assigned by DHCP reservation, then it will stay the same, as it will follow the MAC address.  If it is staticly assigned by the NAS, then it will follow the drives until you change it.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 39

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

You can migrate disks between OS 6 NAS - so that will work.  (BTW you can migrate between X86 and ARM OS 6 NAS too, but that can create trouble with platform-specific apps).

It's best to make sure they are running the same firmware version first.

Message 2 of 39
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Both NASA’s are running the same firmware the 516 main Nas also has the Plex server both Nas have identical shares Films and Music would the Plex data have been saved on the 316 the backup job hence when I remove those drives iron wolf pro 10tb and swap them into the 516 will that info be there and what else will I need to do
Message 3 of 39
StephenB
Guru

Everything is on the drives - the OS boots from the drives, though it is in it's own partition that is not normally accessible over the network.  Apps you have installed on the RN316 will migrate to the RN516 with the drives.  Apps that are on the RN516 will need to be reinstalled after you migrate the disks. And since you plan to do a fresh install to create the new volume with 10 TB drives, such apps will need to be reinstalled anyway after you have the new volume up and running.  You can of course do that after you migrate the new volume back to the RN516.

In the specific case of plex, the bulk of the software (and the media libraries) are in a hidden folder on the data volume (data/.apps/plexmediaserver)

The general process I recommend with the new drives is to do a factory reset with all drives in place.  Then reconfigure the NAS (set up users and shares, reinstall apps), and then copy back the data using rsync backup jobs for the shares.  If you use the home folders, it might be easier to drag/drop (the backup jobs don't work that well for the home folders).

If you plan to re-apply a saved config file, then I do recommend that you install the original apps first (or uninstall those apps before you save the config).  They do reference the apps folder, and if the apps are not installed that can create some issues.  Also, the NAS doesn't reapply all the settings, so you do need to review everything.  For instance, I don't believe the volume maintenance schedule is re-applied.

Message 4 of 39
pgjscottieuk
Guide

I have no apps installed on the backup drive (316) it is purely a backup of the 516

i had originally thought if i migrated the disks from the 316 to the 516 all the information would be there and it wouldn’t change the settings etc on the main drive (516) the ip address etc would remain in tact so that things like my HTPC that are mapped to it wouldnt be disturbed

if that is not the case i may as well buy a 626x as the 628 isnt compatilbe with Plex temporarley take the 516 out of the system unplug it along with lan connection set up the new 626x configure it the same host name ip addresses etc enable the Plex server having signed out from the 516 then restore it with the media files from the 316 decomission that and teplace it with the 516 migrating the drives from the 316 iron wolf pro 10tb

i would really like to populate the new 626 with WD Red Pro 10TB just waiting for them to be approved

Message 5 of 39
Sandshark
Sensei

Whether the 516 gets the same IP depends on how it is assigned.  If it is assigned by DHCP reservation, then it will stay the same, as it will follow the MAC address.  If it is staticly assigned by the NAS, then it will follow the drives until you change it.

Message 6 of 39
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Thanks for your input

Message 7 of 39
StephenB
Guru

@pgjscottieuk wrote:

I have no apps installed on the backup drive (316) it is purely a backup of the 516

i had originally thought if i migrated the disks from the 316 to the 516 all the information would be there and it wouldn’t change the settings etc on the main drive (516) the ip address etc would remain in tact so that things like my HTPC that are mapped to it

It shouldn't take long to install the apps, and it only takes a couple of minutes to assign an IP address in your router.  If you've done a lot of manual tagging in plex, then you will need to do that again.  Checking over the config is annoying, but doesn't take long.  And your system will be functional when you do  it.

Of course an RN600 series is a more powerful NAS.  But setting it up won't be faster, so I don't understand what you are thinking there. 

You can of course avoid all the configuration stuff by simply hot-inserting the new drives into the RN516 (waiting for resync before doing the next).

Message 8 of 39
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Hi decided to take your advice and just vertically expand the 516 it is currently populated with 6 x WD red pro 4TB going to replace with Seagate iron wolf pro 10TB from what i have read this is a hot swappable process with a minimum of expansion of two discs but as i am going to do all six would it be sensable after the first two waiting of coarse for each drive to resync to reboot or keep going

I have made sure my back up nas is running the same firmware in case of disaster any thing i should know or precaution i should take before starting this procedure

Message 9 of 39
StephenB
Guru

@pgjscottieuk wrote:

would it be sensable after the first two waiting of coarse for each drive to resync to reboot or keep going

Every time you upgrade a drive, every disk sector in the data volume (all disks) has to be either read or written.  So the resync time will gradually increase as you go through this process.  The first resync touches 24TB of data, the second touches 36 TB, ... the last touches 60 TB.  It works out to 264 TB of I/O altogether.

This works (assuming your existing disks are healthy), but it would quite a bit faster to power down, insert all the disks at once, reconfigure the NAS, and restore the data from your backup NAS.  This also gives you another fallback - you can power down, install all the original disks in the right slots, and the system will boot up in the original configuration. 

Message 10 of 39
pgjscottieuk
Guide

How long is 264 TB of l/O ? If i insert them all at once what is the process for reinstating the NAS from the backup and of course i will loose all the plex data won't i ? or is that on the back up as well there are only two shares FILMS which is where plex is synced to and MUSIC which basically has a copy of my Itunes library on it

Message 11 of 39
StephenB
Guru

@pgjscottieuk wrote:

How long is 264 TB of l/O ? 

Hard to say, but I think you are talking 1-3 days wait between drive insertions, so it could take about two to three weeks overall.  NAS performance will be sluggish while this is happening.

The plex database is in /data/.apps/plexmediaserver.  You could try backing that up, and restoring it after you restore the media files (reinstalling plex first).

Message 12 of 39
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Where do i find /data/.apps/plexmediaserver.

i have looked on the nas and cant seem to find this i am very gratefull by the way for your help

Message 13 of 39
TeknoJnky
Hero

The apps folder is not remotely accessible.

You will need to access via SSH console with putty (ie copy it to a shared folder).

Or use something like winscp to copy it to your local PC (and then back to the new nas later).

You will need to enable SSH in the system options. the login is root and the password is whatever your os6 admin password is.

regarding the 628, not sure what you mean about not compatible with plex, i have a 528x and it works fine with plex, and the 628x should as well.

The hardware may very slightly, but any device running os6 should run any os6 compcatible app the same.

Message 14 of 39
StephenB
Guru

@TeknoJnky wrote:

The apps folder is not remotely accessible.

You will need to access via SSH console with putty (ie copy it to a shared folder).

No, you can access it directly without using ssh.  /apps in the OS partition is a mount point for /data/.apps.

You can see the full data volume if you use the NAS admin credentials when accessing the NAS.  From Windows you can open CMD and then enter

net use * /delete

net use T: \\nas-ip-address\data /user:admin nas-admin-password

Be careful on typing - spaces and the slash direction are both easy to get wrong.  The first command closes any open network sessions.  The second maps the NAS data volume to drive letter T. The "data" part in the second command is the name of the NAS data volume.  That is "data" if you are using XRAID.  If you are using flexraid, you might have named it something else.

.apps is a hidden folder.  You can set windows to show hidden files to you, or you can just enter t:\.apps\plexmediaserver in the file explorer address bar.

There's lots of files in there - my system has ~5000 files and ~1000 folders.

Message 15 of 39
TeknoJnky
Hero

a couple more tips regarding backup and restoration of plex..

* before you copy the existing plex data, make sure plex is not running (you do not want the plex data changing while you are trying to copy it)

* make sure you have a copy of the current plex .deb install file (you can get from plex website if you don't have it)

* when you are ready to restore the plex data (to same or new nas), if plex is not already installed, then you can copy your plex folder/files over, then install plex and turn it on.

* If you already had plex installed, make sure the same version of plex is installed is the same as your backup, then make sure plex is NOT running. Copy your data folder, overwriting existing. After the data is restored, install plex AGAIN, so the install script can update/set any permissions on data that may have gotten messed up.

Message 16 of 39
StephenB
Guru

@TeknoJnky wrote:

a couple more tips regarding backup and restoration of plex...

Yeah, these make a lot of sense.

Message 17 of 39
pgjscottieuk
Guide

But where do you type CMD i access the nas from a browser using the ip address to open the admin user interface i dont understand where you are supposed to type these commands into help please

Message 18 of 39
Sandshark
Sensei

You do that in Windows File Explorer, not a browser.

Message 19 of 39
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Gotcha 👍

Message 20 of 39
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Thanks to you all for your input have printed out all the info and tips you have given i will download the nas settings and also hope that when i restore these will save some time drives will be here monday will make sure over the weekend end the backup nas is fully synced to the main nas and bight the bullet

Message 21 of 39
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Hi guys tried your instruction i've got stuck 

Looked in frontview to enable SSH got warning that if enabled Netgear would deny help and as didn't know if could disable after got nervous

So downloaded WinSCP tried all sorts of things using FTP typed some of your commands plus the one from the plex website  /apps/plexmediaserver/MediaLibrary/Plex media Server

all to no avail

New drives arrived today but would rather wait to see if i/we can managed to save and restore the Plex inc file any help suggestions would be most appreciated as always from you guys

WinSCP.PNGWinSCP 2.PNGWinSCP 3.PNG

Message 22 of 39
StephenB
Guru

pgjscottieuk wrote:

...Looked in frontview to enable SSH got warning that if enabled Netgear would deny help and as didn't know if could disable after got nervous...

I told you how to do it without ssh here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Migrate-a-volume-os6-readynas-316-to-516/m-p/14...

The commands in my post are all done from Windows, no ssh involved.

Message 23 of 39
pgjscottieuk
Guide

I tried all of that i didn’ work i later got into the files using WinScp after enabeling SSH

and using roor as admin then my password for the nas 

the only file i could see that matched what the chap from plex had talked about was the metadata file i could not see the plex inc file i will continue tomorrow with that new drives arrived today have unpacked them and letting them warm up before testing them all using crystaldiskinfo before install 

Message 24 of 39
StephenB
Guru

@pgjscottieuk wrote:

I tried all of that i didn’ work

Did you get an error when you mapped data volume to a Windows Drive letter?  If so, what error?

If not, then where did you get stuck?

@pgjscottieuk wrote:

I tried all of that i didn’ work i later got into the files using WinScp after enabeling SSH

and using roor as admin then my password for the nas 

the only file i could see that matched what the chap from plex had talked about was the metadata file 

I have no idea what the plex chap told you.  But I do know that the plex library is stored in .apps/plexmediaserver on the data volume of the NAS.  That folder is also mounted as /apps if you are using ssh, so /apps/plexmediaserver is the same folder as .apps/plexmediaserver. 

Message 25 of 39
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 38 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements