× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Migrate a volume os6 readynas 316 to 516

pgjscottieuk
Guide

The data is on the nas not on the windows htpc its the plex server on the 516 any way hopefully i have copied that data over in to temp file on the windows htpc

At the moment the nas is still syncing the new drives ne that has finnished what is the best way to recover the data from the backup nas i was going to enable a backup in the backup nas to put the data back onto the main nas or should i re-establish the back up on that nas with resync would that copy the data back even though the new drives are empty

Message 26 of 39
pgjscottieuk
Guide

I found the Plex Media server file coppied it over to a temp file on my htpc just having a nightmare getting my files back from the backup nas waiting for the main nas to Resync about six hours to go then the only way i can see is to manually copy the films over one by one 1200 of them 

I noticed on the backup nas that the share i keep my movies in called FILMS has another folder inside it FILMS ?

Message 27 of 39
StephenB
Guru

@pgjscottieuk wrote:

I noticed on the backup nas that the share i keep my movies in called FILMS has another folder inside it FILMS ?

That happens if the backup job is misconfigured.  If you are doing a "push" backup you need to put a forward slash in the path of the source.  See step 16 here: https://kb.netgear.com/29741/How-do-I-back-up-data-between-two-ReadyNAS-OS-6-systems-using-the-backu...

@pgjscottieuk wrote:

the only way i can see is to manually copy the films over one by one 1200 of them 

Why?  Can you give more details?

Message 28 of 39
pgjscottieuk
Guide

This is how the original backup was done they are the instuctions i followed in the beggining but in trying to get the data back from the backup source i got myself in a mess because i could not see how to recover the data from the backup job i thought ok i'll just create a backup job from the backup nas to the main nas circumventing the problem which is when i discovered the creation of the file within a file situation can i delete that file or will i loose my data years of movies

Message 29 of 39
StephenB
Guru

@pgjscottieuk wrote:

which is when i discovered the creation of the file within a file situation can i delete that file or will i loose my data years of movies

Well, you could move everything in FILMS\FILMS in FILMS and then delete /FILMS/FILMS.  Obviously you want to be careful not to overwrite a newer film that already exists in /FILMS.

Once you've done that, you could delete \FILMS\FILMS.

Message 30 of 39
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Perhaps rhe best solution would be once i know all the films are back on the main nas delete the shares on the backup nas deleting all content start afresh as i deleted the backup jobs and make sure i configure it correctly ? 

So in configuring the backup should the entry be local side browse FILMS select this share the on the remote side to avoid the folder within a folder destination share /FILMS or no forward slash

HOW TO BACK.UP BETWEEN TWO READYNAS OS6 SYSTEMS (USING THE BACKUP MANAGER)

Message 31 of 39
StephenB
Guru

@pgjscottieuk wrote:

So in configuring the backup should the entry be local side browse FILMS select this share the on the remote side to avoid the folder within a folder destination share /FILMS or no forward slash

Again, if you have a remote source, the answer is in step 16 in kb article.  The picture is quite clear.   The source is "share:sharename", and the path is a single forward slash.  

29741-17.png

@pgjscottieuk wrote:

Perhaps rhe best solution would be once i know all the films are back on the main nas delete the shares on the backup nas deleting all content start afresh as i deleted the backup jobs and make sure i configure it correctly ? 

You could do that. I was assuming that you needed to merge FILMS subfolder into the main FILMS folder, so you'd have them all to put back on the main NAS.

Message 32 of 39
pgjscottieuk
Guide

That was what i wanted to do but unfortunately with the time difference in posting with you guys it makes it quiet drawn out but VERY grateful for all the tech support you give us so i did try yesterday to get some chat help with netgear but it was hopeless im not v good at typing and 3 agents later and about an hour the help i was advised was the exact steps i started out with so i gave up with that got up at 4.30 this morning and started manually dragging and dropping each film from the backup nas back to the main nas one by one 

Message 33 of 39
pgjscottieuk
Guide

To avoid confusion on my part from the diagram you showed it looks like the backup is being initiated from the backup source and so called pulling the backup i think one of you have mentioned ?

Message 34 of 39
StephenB
Guru

@pgjscottieuk wrote:

To avoid confusion on my part from the diagram you showed it looks like the backup is being initiated from the backup source and so called pulling the backup i think one of you have mentioned ?

That's called "pushing", since the data is being "pushed" from the source NAS to the backup destination.  

Other than getting the push/pull naming backwards, you are correct.  The / in the path name is needed only when the backup is initiated from the backup source.

If you are doing the backup from destination NAS (the "pull" backup), then the path is blank on the destination (with share:sharename in the name field).  The source path is the sharename, with no slashes anywhere.

Message 35 of 39
StephenB
Guru

@pgjscottieuk wrote:

up at 4.30 this morning and started manually dragging and dropping each film from the backup nas back to the main nas one by one 

I don't understand what you are stuck on. All you need to do is take the backup jobs you already have, and reverse the source and destination.  You'd also need to enable rsync (read/write) on the main NAS if you haven't done that already.

But if you feel you need to drag/drop, you perhaps should use something like teracopy (which handles bulk copies better than Windows), and also has a verify function.

Message 36 of 39
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Thank you for sorting that because when i set the backup originally with just the two shares i had no problems at all what i had not realised was having removed the original volume 6 x 4tb drives and replaced with 6 x 10tb drives the system would not be able to restore the volume because it no longer existed so somehow when i was trying to push the dat back to the main nas in the settings i guess the new folders appeared 

Even after restoring the main nas i will have to start a new backup because the one thats there beolonged to a different volume

Message 37 of 39
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Than you for you help and patience all sorted finally destroyed old back up on 316 and just in the process of redoing thanks once again Merry Xmas to everyone at Netgear community

Message 38 of 39
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad everything is operational again, and that we were able to help.

Message 39 of 39
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 38 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements