× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Migrate drives from ReadyNAS NVX to ReadyNAS 212

Gianlucam
Tutor

Migrate drives from ReadyNAS NVX to ReadyNAS 212

I've searched in this forum but I could not find a answer to my problem.

The power supply to my old ReadyNAS NVX (4 bays) died, so I bought a new ReadyNAS 212 (2 Bays).

I am left with the 2 drives from my NVX, which were mirrored (Raid1) that I need to migrate to the RN212.

I found useful information on how to migrate at this link:  http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29957?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

Unfortunately when I insert the drive from my legacy ReadyNAS NVX into the RN212, the RN212 does not become available on the network and I can't access it.

Can anyone here help?

Thanks.

Model: ReadyNASRNDX400E|ReadyNAS NVX Pioneer Chassis only, RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The RN212 is ARM. The article states that you need an x86 model. See http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29957/~/readynas%3A-migrating-disks-from-raidiator-4.2...)

The following are our x86 OS6 models:

RN312

RN314

RN316

RN516

RN716X

RN526X (just released)

RN626X (just released)

Message 2 of 6
Gianlucam
Tutor

Thank you @mdgm-ntgr .

I got that link from this other article: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29875/~/readynas%3A-migrating-disks-from-raidiator-to-...
but there I don't see a link to instructions to migrate drives from the NVX to the ARM OS 6 (RN212), unless I'm blind.
Or maybe that's not possible because of the difference between Intel (my legacy device) and ARM (my new device) ?
Can you please help?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

For disks taken from a dead legacy x86 box you should go with a new x86 box. If we supported going legacy x86 to current ARM we would have mentioned that.

Message 4 of 6
Gianlucam
Tutor

Thank you for your help @mdgm-ntgr. I'm returning the RN212 and buying a RN312.
I wish this difference had been stated in the specs somewhere 🙂

Message 5 of 6
Gianlucam
Tutor

Hi,  @mdgm-ntgr, sorry to bother you again.

I got my ReadyNAS 312 unit. I updated the firmware and done a factory reset, then inserted the drive from my defunct NVX unit.

The 312 now starts but the blue power light keeps blinking undefinitely, and the machine is not accessible via web interface.

The RAIDar utility finds the 312 unit on the network, but it gives its status as "System starting up...".

The 312 responds fine to network pings (actually it works fine with a new hard drive, so I know it's working).

Am I out of luck with my data recovery?  😞

Thanks,

-Gianluca.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements