× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Migrating NV+ from Share to User Security Mode

tominwi
Luminary

Migrating NV+ from Share to User Security Mode

I want to update my NV+ with RAIDiator 4.1.9 to the latest 4.1.16 but in researching this it seemed I needed also to change my "Share" Security Mode to User mode. Everything says to use sphardy's long-standing (from 2010) guide, but after switching to User mode I find I cannot access the ReadyNAS from Windows ("\\READYNAS is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the admin... Logon failure: account currently disabled.") The link to that guide:

http://readynas.sphardy.com/2010/09/how-to-migrate-to-user-security-mode_4917.html

I don't know how to recover from this and hope someone can give me some clues. When I tried to go back to Share Security mode and click Apply, that doesn't work either--it stays in User mode.

What did I do wrong...?

Model: RND4000 |ReadyNAS NV+ v1|EOL
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@tominwi wrote:

I'm sorry StephenB, I just am not understanding your reply. Can you suggest a way (or ways) forward so that the error I'm getting (Post 1) for this, my primary PC, goes away and I can access the NAS shares again?

What you need to do is open the Windows Credential Manager on the PC.  You might see old credentials for the NAS there - if so, they need to be deleted.  After that you'd enter a new credential for the NAS with a username/password that matches a user account that is on the NAS.  The admin account will work for this.

If you access the NAS by it's IP address and it's host name, you'll need to enter two credentials (one for each of them).

Once that is done, you can just enter \\nas-ip-address or \\nas-host-name into the windows explorer address bar, and it should show you the shares.

@tominwi wrote:

Also kind sir, do you know if the old forum (I recall it as readynas.com) is lost forever? 

Unfortunately it's not available - taken down some years ago. You can find a tease on wayback.com: https://web.archive.org/web/20131231163538/http://www.readynas.com:80/forum/ But the posts aren't archived there.

Quite a bit of the content was migrated here, but I don't think all of it was.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 11

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Start by running CMD, which will open a windows command box on the PC.

Type

net use * /delete

net use t: \\nas-ip-address\C /user:admin nas-admin-password

Use the real NAS ip address and password of course. Be very careful on spaces and the slash directions.

The first command terminates any open network sessions.  If it prompts you for comfirmation, let it proceed.  If it says there are no open sessions, then that's fine.

The second command attempt to mount the C volume on the NAS as drive letter T.  Let us know if that works - and if not, what errors you get.

Message 2 of 11
tominwi
Luminary

Thanks SB very nice! That worked!

It seems my problem with seeing my Shares after going to User mode may be that my Windows logon creds are nowhere to be found in the ReadyNAS. I have found that if I use e.g. my FileExplorer app on my iPad, and Admin creds, I see all the shares. If I use another PC and am logged-in to Windows as a user that *IS* on the User list of the NV+, then I can get-in as well.

So it seems my gnarly problem might be that my Windows username and Share name are the same, so I cannot make a user named fredethel on it cuz there's a *Share* named fredethel, and can't even Login!? Which would be easiest to change...argh.

Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Note you don't need a separate account for every PC.  It is possible to use a single account, and save the credentials in the windows credential manager.  The NAS account can't match a share name (as you found out).

Message 4 of 11
tominwi
Luminary

I'm sorry StephenB, I just am not understanding your reply. Can you suggest a way (or ways) forward so that the error I'm getting (Post 1) for this, my primary PC, goes away and I can access the NAS shares again?

Also kind sir, do you know if the old forum (I recall it as readynas.com) is lost forever? I used it a lot years ago--there was so much useful info there but now all references/links to it are broken. I do recall warnings back then of "switch to User mode or else!" but at the time I had no reason to risk the switch.

Message 5 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@tominwi wrote:

What you need to do is open the Windows Credential Manager on the PC.  You might see old credentials for the NAS there - if so, they need to be deleted.  After that you'd enter a new credential for the NAS with a username/password that matches a user account that is on the NAS.  The admin account will work for this.

If you access the NAS by it's IP address and it's host name, you'll need to enter two credentials (one for each of them).

Once that is done, you can just enter \\nas-ip-address or \\nas-host-name into the windows explorer address bar, and it should show you the shares.

@tominwi wrote:

Also kind sir, do you know if the old forum (I recall it as readynas.com) is lost forever? 

Unfortunately it's not available - taken down some years ago. You can find a tease on wayback.com: https://web.archive.org/web/20131231163538/http://www.readynas.com:80/forum/ But the posts aren't archived there.

Quite a bit of the content was migrated here, but I don't think all of it was.

Message 6 of 11
tominwi
Luminary

Thanks again StephenB. When something like this happens with a box I had not touched in years, except to move it and assert a new IP address, well one goes into something of a tailspin. But I think I have pulled-out of it, knowing at least the data is there and apparently safe until I figure this out.

I found in my ReadyNAS files an exchange on the old board that you and I had in 2014, about the "fastest way to move files around" and it is so gratifying that you are still present and responsive! Can't tell you how grateful I am for folks like you!

It appears under User mode that the creation of a new user results in a share creation. I think what I will try (if you think this will work) is:

1. For the share I'd been using under old Share mode, which is at the root of C, to go into Frontview's Share Listing and just change the name of it by adding an 's' to the end.

2. Once that share has been renamed, I will create a New User with the sharename/Windows cred (that does not end with s)

3. With the new user in place and a new Share having been created under this new User mode I will open two instances of C and then drag & drop under Explorer the contents of the old share, to the new share just created.

Does this sound right to you?

I have found postings that suggest v4.1.9 has problems, but they should not impede my simple plan? Then as far as you go, I can update direct from 4.1.9 to the latest, with no intermediate updates needed?

Thanks again for helping!

Message 7 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@tominwi wrote:

It appears under User mode that the creation of a new user results in a share creation.

Yes, that is a "home" share that is only accessible by that user.  Only admin and the user will see that share in the share list.

That feature can be disabled. To do that, go into security->security mode->user & group accounts.  Then select "preferences" in the pulldown menu on the upper right.  The second line down is "Private home shares for users:", and you can change the setting next to that to disabled.

I'm not sure if that will let you create a user account with your desired name or not.

@tominwi wrote:

1. For the share I'd been using under old Share mode, which is at the root of C, to go into Frontview's Share Listing and just change the name of it by adding an 's' to the end.

2. Once that share has been renamed, I will create a New User with the sharename/Windows cred (that does not end with s)

3. With the new user in place and a new Share having been created under this new User mode I will open two instances of C and then drag & drop under Explorer the contents of the old share, to the new share just created.

Personally I'd just create a differently named user account on the NAS.  As noted above the home shares aren't shared.  They also can be a bit tricky to back up and restore.

Message 8 of 11
tominwi
Luminary

@StephenB wrote:

@tominwi wrote:

What you need to do is open the Windows Credential Manager on the PC...

I [used to] think I was pretty smart about Windows but...I have never used WCM before and had no idea you could access network shares as other users (in this case admin).

So just like magic, I am running my Syncback backup profiles to the ReadyNAS without having to change anything else at all, well for at least the time being. I'll keep plugging-away now at User Mode (and updating RAIDiator) and will check-in again to put a ribbon on this thread.

StephenB I owe you big-time. Thanks.

Message 9 of 11
tominwi
Luminary

Ultimately Post 6 held the solution to my supposed "locked out!" problem, so I Accepted as Solution that post from StephenB.

Other than that:

1. I did not wait long enough after sphardy's Step 3 (fixing permissions) to see the "share updated" pop-up. It takes a long time for the NV+ to fix all the permissions on a large share

2. The Windows Credential Manager allowed me to get back-in to my RN without even changing anything else i.e. changing share names or my Windows PC login

Updating from 4.1.9 directly to 4.1.16 went well and my ultimate goal, to get the Mac Time Machine capability working, was achieved. Wife's Macbook is backing-up now.

Thanks again StephenB!

Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@tominwi wrote:

Thanks again StephenB!

I'm glad I could help. Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies