× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Migrating from a ReadyNAS-X6

gcreedon
Aspirant

Migrating from a ReadyNAS-X6

I would like to migrate the drives I have in an old ReadyNAS-X6. What would be a good path?

Thanks everyone!

Model: ReadyNAS-X6|ReadyNAS X6
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: Migrating from a ReadyNAS-X6

@gcreedon wrote:

I would like to migrate the drives I have in an old ReadyNAS-X6. What would be a good path?

You can't directly migrate them to any current NAS.  You'll need to off-load the data.  The fastest way to do that is over the ethernet connection.

Message 2 of 9
gcreedon
Aspirant

Well, the unit is not powering on. Perhaps a bad power supply. Would a data recovery company, Drivesavers for example, work?

Message 3 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

As long as you kept the OS up to date, you can follow instructions you can find for using a Linux system or R-Linux for Windows to recover data from an NV or NV+ v1.  You can also just migrate the drives to a used NV or NV+v1, but you'd be buying a rather old NAS.

Message 4 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

... or R-Linux for Windows to recover data from an NV or NV+ v1. 

No.  R-linux for Windows works with RAID-1 or jbod, but not for other RAID modes.  You could use R-Studio though.  https://www.r-studio.com/  You would need a way of connecting the disks to the PC (perhaps a USB enclosure of some kind).

Another option is to get a new ReadyNAS, and then engage paid support to temporarily mount the disks so you can off-load the data.  https://kb.netgear.com/29876/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-1-or-RAIDiator-5-3-to-ReadyNA...

@Sandshark wrote:

but you'd be buying a rather old NAS.

The NV+ went out of production in 2011, so it'd be at least 9 years old (and likely older).

Message 5 of 9
SamirD
Prodigy

Most of these units used a standard PC power supply connector, so you should be able to use a PC power supply outside the case and power it back one and then migrate the data.  The stock power supply also could be replaced as it would also be a standard pc power supply in a flex or smaller size form factor.  Then you have no need to upgrade and just keep on running. 🙂

Message 6 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@SamirD wrote:

Most of these units used a standard PC power supply connector, so you should be able to use a PC power supply outside the case and power it back one and then migrate the data.

You do need to be careful here.  The NV and NV+ used a modified pinout. 

But the older X6 and 600 models used a standard ATX connector. 

Message 7 of 9
SamirD
Prodigy

Ouch!  Thank you for pointing this out and correcting me!

So the best bet would be to find an older unit being sold for parts and take its power supply.

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@SamirD wrote:

So the best bet would be to find an older unit being sold for parts and take its power supply.

A standard supply should be ok with the x6 (externally anyway).  I've never seen one, so I don't know the form factor of the internal supply or it's specs.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements