× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Migrating gracefully from ReadyNAS OS4 to OS 6 (Settings, Data)

GJSchaller
Guide

Migrating gracefully from ReadyNAS OS4 to OS 6 (Settings, Data)

I have a ReadyNAS Ultra 4 running RAIDiator 4.2.31 , and I am looking to move to a ReadyNAS OS 6 device as gracefully as possible.  My current NAS is not damaged or dead, so no emergencies - I just want to minimize the amount of work I need to do to make the move happen.

My current plan is to back up all the data onto an external drive, move the drives to the new chassis (which will wipe them), and then restore the data.  So far, this part is fine.

My question comes down to the settings - if I back up the settings on  RAIDiator 4.2.31 (IP, Shares, Users & Security, etc.), can I restore them onto to OS 6 device?  Is there another graceful way of migrating all my settings, so that I do not need to re-create them all by hand and reset permissions?

Thank you!

Model: ReadyNAS RNDU4220|ReadyNAS Ultra 4
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Migrating gracefully from ReadyNAS OS4 to OS 6 (Settings, Data)

@GJSchaller wrote:

Is there another graceful way of migrating all my settings, so that I do not need to re-create them all by hand and reset permissions?

No. It'd be handy, but there is no way I know to migrate the settings, other than to take some screen shots of the old NAS, and use them as a reference when setting up the new one.

FWIW, you could use your ultra as a backup NAS after the migration (and if desired, you could convert it to run OS-6).

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Migrating gracefully from ReadyNAS OS4 to OS 6 (Settings, Data)

Don't even try it.  The default users in the two OS versions don't match, and restoring one on the other will create a mess.  IMHO, Netgear really missed the boat on this one.  Given this limitation, there is zero incentive to move to a new Netgear device over a competitor's.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements