× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Missing Volume after balance maintenance never ended

nog
Aspirant
Aspirant

Missing Volume after balance maintenance never ended

hi

i have all my data disapeared and the famous message no volume delete missing volume 1.2.3.4

it seems to have happen when the system was doing a  balance maintenance because it never ended 

after a reboot i receive a log saying less than 5% space left but it s because the inactive volume have 0% left i think, my disks are around 50% full with my data

i ve read a lot of post but honestly i don t know what to do to recover my data

i can join logs, tell me which one

if someone can help me

thanks

Model: RN2120v2|Readynas 2120v2 1U 4-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 9
nog
Aspirant
Aspirant

Re: Missing Volume after balance maintenance never ended

checking the logs i found that :

created bitmap (30 pages) for device md127
[Sat Nov 11 08:01:18 2017] md127: bitmap initialized from disk: read 2 pages, set 0 of 59543 bits
[Sat Nov 11 08:01:18 2017] md127: detected capacity change from 0 to 11987456360448
[Sat Nov 11 08:01:18 2017] Adding 1047420k swap on /dev/md1.  Priority:-1 extents:1 across:1047420k
[Sat Nov 11 08:01:18 2017] BTRFS: device label 0e3695d0:data devid 1 transid 237909 /dev/md127
[Sat Nov 11 08:01:19 2017] BTRFS critical (device md127): unable to find logical 163305226240 len 4096
[Sat Nov 11 08:01:19 2017] BTRFS critical (device md127): unable to find logical 163305226240 len 4096
[Sat Nov 11 08:01:19 2017] BTRFS error (device md127): failed to read chunk root
[Sat Nov 11 08:01:19 2017] BTRFS error (device md127): open_ctree failed

Message 2 of 9
StephenB
Guru

You might need data recovery.  https://kb.netgear.com/69/ReadyNAS-Data-Recovery-Diagnostics-Scope-of-Service

Some users have had good luck with ReclaiMe, which has the benefit that you can see what can be recovered before you pay.

Message 3 of 9
nog
Aspirant
Aspirant

thanks  for your answers

i think i will test reclaimme at the end or expensive data  recovery by  "netgear"

but first i want to know if there is some ssh command or something to test and to try to mount my volume again , i think my data are ok because no disk errors but i don t know how to access them, it is the balance maintenance who have destroy my system , so i think it is a netgear issue

i am very disapointed by netgear system, no warning , no alert and all data disapeared in one night without any solutions to recover them without paying to know

thanks to expert users to help me and thanks to netgear to let me know why it has happen

Message 4 of 9
nog
Aspirant
Aspirant

some news after using reclaime

all my data are there , i see each files  but i can t recover anything because i have only reclaime evaluation version.

another problem is that i don t have enough external storage space to recover all my data

so do you think now it s better for me to start a pay per incident to recover the nas without external storage ?

or buy a reclaim me licence ? i'm not sure the basic licence (80 euros) can recover a nas , it s not clear on reclaime site and pay the big licence 200 euros is not my first option ...

thanks for your help

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

You'll need the more expensive license (since the filesystem is btrfs). 

Netgear data recovery terms are here: https://kb.netgear.com/69/ReadyNAS-Data-Recovery-Diagnostics-Scope-of-Service. 

It's not clear which one is cheaper.

Message 6 of 9
nog
Aspirant
Aspirant

In fact you are saying me i have choice to :
Pay a third party licence 200 euros to save my data with 100 percent chance to save it because i see them with reclaime with the evaluation license. And i can spend as many hours i want to recover my data
Or ....to pay netgear 200 euros plus a lot of euros for each hours spend by the netgear technician to recover my data without any waranty to recover them and without any apologies and actions from netgear for their bug **bleep**ing all my data In my nas software
Am i right ?
Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@nog wrote:
In fact you are saying me i have choice to ...

Your options are to 

• Use someone's recovery service
  • Use someone's recovery software
  • Attempt to recover the data by yourself with only free tools.
  • Lose your data.

None are great options.  But don't shoot at me, I'm only the messenger.  I don't work for Netgear, and it's not my fault that you didn't back up your NAS.  

The benefits of ReclaiME are that you already know what it thinks it can recover and that there is a fixed price for the software.

Message 8 of 9
BotanyBay
Tutor

@StephenB wrote:

@nog wrote:
In fact you are saying me i have choice to ...

Your options are to 

• Use someone's recovery service
  • Use someone's recovery software
  • Attempt to recover the data by yourself with only free tools.
  • Lose your data.

None are great options.  But don't shoot at me, I'm only the messenger.  I don't work for Netgear, and it's not my fault that you didn't back up your NAS.  

The benefits of ReclaiME are that you already know what it thinks it can recover and that there is a fixed price for the software.

If it were me I would not want to ship my disks anywhere in their current state (Drives can be damaged in shipping). In addition you don't have a current backup which is an important part of protecting your data in general.

Thus I would recommend:

Buy sufficient backup space to store all of the files from your NAS (You need this anyway even if you used the paid netgear service)

Use the ReclaiME software, it is seeing the volume and cab see the files so that is a known quantity (if there is corruption which it can't work through I doubt the paid service would do any better) to backup the data to the backup set.

Then recreate the NAS volume and develop a backup strategy.

Generally recommended approach is at least two backups which are rotated between from time to time, even better is having three backups of which one is a different mechanism.

My approach:

ReadyNAS Pro6 is primary machine - only gets OS updates after they are deemed very stable

ReadyNAS 626 is backup machine - Running ReadyDR volumes for all on the primary and rsync backups of the volumes independently

External Backup #1 (as an ext4 partition) - Rotates Quarterly

External Backup #2 (as an ext4 partition) - Rotates Quarterly

Older drives which have been retired are reformatted as NTFS and provide a "stitched together" backup of everything from time to time

Yes, I am paranoid and my data is important to me...

(Just because I am paranoid does not mean the world is not out to get me!)

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements