× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Missing storage & Time Machine

Remoh11
Aspirant

Missing storage & Time Machine

Model:ReadyNAS Duo [X-RAID]
Serial:24M3117L00DCB
Firmware:RAIDiator 4.1.16 [1.00a043] 
Memory:256 MB [2.5-3-3-7]
IPv4 address::192.168.1.69
Volume C:Online, X-RAID, 2 disks, 63% of 1846 GB used

Having checked all the shares the total disk space used is 600 GB but the readynas is reporting 1162 GB used. I have tried accessing the Readynas and it shows a share that that isn't shown on the readynas list of shares and there is no sign of the time machine backups and I cannot find any files on the NAS relating to time machine. Slowly losing my mind. I have tried

1. Turning off TM and deleting the back up share

2. deleting the share I can see on the NAS that isn't on the share list on NAS software (can't delete it)

3. Mutil options found on the forum (didn't work)

4. remove the sparse image/bundle (cant find them)

5. looked for the readynas share (there isn't one)

now looking at options to copy everything I want to keep off of the readynas and format the nas drives and start again.  Any help would be appreciated

Model: RND2220|ReadyNAS Duo 4TB (2 X 2TB)
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Remoh11
Aspirant

well it took multiple attempts to delete them but it has work and I now have 1.37TB available after turning the TM bck on via front view and logging in as ReadyNAS and then deleting the sparse bundles. Now creating new backups, thank you forr all your help

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Remoh11 wrote:
I have tried accessing the Readynas and it shows a share that that isn't shown on the readynas list of shares

How have you tried accessing it, and what is the name of the share that isn't on the share list?

Also, are you wanting to delete the time machine backups, or do you just want to figure out where the space is going?

Message 2 of 8
Remoh11
Aspirant

I have been accessing it via Finder on my mac although I am struggling to get that to connect now. I have installed root ssh but haven't used that yet as I need to find out how to use it.

I have also used front view

What I am trying to do is remove all old TM back ups and a share called Richard which doesn't show in front view. I then want to switch TM back on and start again. I also have to shares that are activ that I wish to keep

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Remoh11 wrote:

a share called Richard which doesn't show in front view.

Is there a NAS user account called Richard?  If so, this is a "home" share that only shows up when you access the NAS with Richard's credentials.  

If that's the issue, there is a setting to disable home shares for all NAS accounts. See pages 13-32 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/RAIDiator4-1_SW_en_06Dec11.pdf

@Remoh11 wrote:

What I am trying to do is remove all old TM back ups 

Did you try disabling Time Machine Support in the NAS?

Message 4 of 8
Remoh11
Aspirant

thanks I have realised that its the home share as I managed to get in via finder as admin and saw the the three home shares.

I have disabled TM on the readynas front view and rebooted it but I am still missing about 460GB. I have added up the reported size of all directories plus the available space and it come to around 1.4 TB and the total available is 1.86tb its the missing 0.46TB I just cannot find

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Remoh11 wrote:

thanks I have realised that its the home share as I managed to get in via finder as admin and saw the the three home shares.

If you set up finder to let you view hidden folders, you should see the folder for time machine in the Duo's C volume (it's called .timemachine)  That of course does require using admin credentials for the NAS.

Also, if you have the Duo's recycle bin enabled for the shares, you probably should empty it (or disable it).  I don't think that will reclaim 460 GB though.

You might also reboot the NAS with a volume scan.  There could be some old file system errors (perhaps related to power loss) that need to be cleaned up.

FWIW, if you are comparing usage as shown on the Mac with usage shown in Frontview, it probably won't exactly tie out.  There are some old posts about this here (though the poster was using an NVX and tying out the space usage with Windows 8).  I think the issue is that the information reported by CIFS/SMB doesn't exactly reflect the on-disk usage of the NAS ext file system. In particular, sorting out on-disk space usage requires knowledge of the block size used by the actual file system (since there is wasted space whenever the file size isn't a multiple of the block size).

The Mac also will create hidden files on the NAS to hold macOS metadata that the ext file system doesn't have.  These should be in .DS_store or .AppleDouble.  That might also complicate tying out the space usage.

Message 6 of 8
Remoh11
Aspirant

thanks for all your help. Couldn't find the the .timemachine folder but have found that if I turn ttimemachine support back on via frontview I can log onto the server in finder as ReadyNAS and se the sparse bundles so I am going to delete those and see if that helps.

Then I will try to find out how to set the NAS recycle bin to see if that is turned on

Message 7 of 8
Remoh11
Aspirant

well it took multiple attempts to delete them but it has work and I now have 1.37TB available after turning the TM bck on via front view and logging in as ReadyNAS and then deleting the sparse bundles. Now creating new backups, thank you forr all your help

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements