× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Missing volume after power failure

juwi_uk
Tutor

Missing volume after power failure

My readyNAs has 4 x 4GB Seagate ReadyNAS drives in it and has been running without issue for many months. The NAS is connected via ethernet (both ports) to my LAN.   This is setup as an X-RAID storage.

I came home last night to find a wierd error on the LCD (followed shortly after by my wife bemoaning she couldnt access our photos anymore).

I went into Admin and all drives are green and online and no ATA errors reported etc BUT it is telling me I have no volumes and asking me to remove Inative Volumes (which I havent).

What on earth has happened and is there anyway (tools etc) to troubleshout this or is all of my data trashed?  I thought RAID 5 was meant to afford me level some protection here and given no drives have failed I am confused to say the least!  I have some of the data backed up (photos & itunes etc), gven somebody is bound to ask based on other threads,  but not enough space on my backup drive to store everything from this 16TB NAS so really hoping I havent lost everything.

Can anyone help me please or given me some pointers because at the moment in despair?

Thankyou

Julian Wigman

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

There seem to be a lot of causes for the "missing volume" symptom.  Your best option is to use paid support (though of course if full data recovery is needed that will be pricy).

Although it's a bit late now, I also recommend getting a UPS for your NAS.

Message 2 of 5
juwi_uk
Tutor

So you are saying then that the hardware cant survive a power outage if that is what has happened here; I cant say if the case as probably happened when I wasnt home.

Im not averse to paying for support, but given i work in IT, it feels the product isnt fit for purpose if im not provided with any means to debug what you say is a common issue. Just feels like a money making ruse to me a bit like these viruses that encrypt your pc and the extort money from you to "possibly" help.

Netgear support; what is you stance here.  if there are unix scripts to run then how do i get them.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@juwi_uk wrote:

So you are saying then that the hardware cant survive a power outage if that is what has happened here;

Not exactly, as the hardware clearly did survive it.  Of course cached data might not be written to the disks when the power is lost.  Though "inactive volume" reports are fairly frequent, and I've never seen any attempt to identify the common causes.

The only time I actually lost a data volume was an unexpected power cut on my old Duo v1.  FWIW, I have pulled the plug a number of times on my RN102 without any issues.  But I think it's still possible to corrupt the volume if there are pending writes - the RAID is done with mdadm, and there are sync counters on each disk partition.  

You can forcibly mount the volume using ssh, @mdgm-ntgr might offer some advice on what to look for before you attempt that.

Message 4 of 5
juwi_uk
Tutor

Many thanks Stephen,  I'll wait to see if NG Support can comment.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements