× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Mount a share like a drive on WAN side

littomalt
Aspirant

Mount a share like a drive on WAN side

Hi

I am running OS6.10.1 on my Ultra 6+ and struggle to find how to mount a share as a drive when I'm in my office (WAN side of NAS).

I have success with readyCLOUD but then files are only reached from a WEB GUI + I can sync folders.

Sync folders are not an option sinse the drive I need to see at work is like 2-4 Tbyte, much more than my HDD.

This drive will be used by up to 5 persons.

I have looked at iSCS, but I have understanding that iSCSI is not the best way, and also it can crash/destroy data it more than one user tries to open same file (wich happens sometimes when we colaborate)

I have a pfsense router and NAT/portforward is no problem to set up.

Anybody who can share the recepy?

Thanks up front!

I also prefer not to set up VPN, but if that is only option to reach shares on WAN side I can do it.

Model: RNDP600U|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus Chassis only
Message 1 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@littomalt wrote:

I also prefer not to set up VPN, but if that is only option to reach shares on WAN side I can do it.

It's not the only option, but it's the only secure option for accessing shares with SMB.  Several folks here who had SMB access enabled over the WAN (some accidentally) recently got hit with ransomware on their public shares.

One aspect is that SMB is all-or-nothing.  You can't set up remote SMB access for some shares, but block it for others.

Some other things you could do:

• Enable FTPS for some shares, and access with FileZilla or WinSCP. That is secure.
  • Set up WebDav for a share, and install a WebDav client.  That runs over http, so you'd need to enable remote HTTP/S access for the NAS

Personally I'd go with the VPN (first choice) or FTPS (second choice).  There's not much out there for WebDAV, and you'd end up enabling remote access to the admin web ui if you enable HTTPS.

Message 2 of 16
littomalt
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@littomalt wrote:

It's not the only option, but it's the only secure option for accessing shares with SMB.  Several folks here who had SMB access enabled over the WAN (some accidentally) recently got hit with ransomware on their public shares.

StephenB, you are Gold.

I will then dismiss SMB, and try VPN.

I have never done anything with VPN, so this will be a challange...

I see that Readynas offers HOB VPN, i installed it, and ther it came, a lot of configuration... help!

Btw, is there options to HOB VPN?

Is there some good dokumentation to find? 

Message 3 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@littomalt wrote:

Btw, is there options to HOB VPN?

There is an old VPN server app on apps.readynas.com also - that is based on softether - https://www.softether.org/4-docs/2-howto

There's also ZeroTier - though at the moment you can't install that on a NAS running 6.10.x.

Personally I use OpenVPN (which is built into my Orbi router).  That gives me full access to my home network when I'm away from home. See if your router supports it - it's the simplest way to go, and avoids the configuration headaches.

I've also tried out ZeroTier - but I ran it on a PC, not the NAS.

@littomalt wrote:

I see that Readynas offers HOB VPN, i installed it, and ther it came, a lot of configuration... help!

Is there some good dokumentation to find? 

I haven't used HOB, and unfortunately my German isn't up to finding stuff on their website.

Message 4 of 16
littomalt
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

Personally I use OpenVPN (which is built into my Orbi router).  That gives me full access to my home network when I'm away from home. See if your router supports it - it's the simplest way to go, and avoids the configuration headaches.

Hi, i have a dedicated PFsense box, so the router supports openVPN.

I dont understand how this can help me share a Share like i drive on WAN side. I need to find info about this, as i mentioned, i have no know how about VPN. Exept i use NordVPN as a service to watch TV/Netflix when i abroad...

My question is, how is this working together with the rest of my network, i have 4 CAMS on my fish pond I reach from WAN side, will this access become useless (open ports + strong paswords)?

Message 5 of 16
littomalt
Aspirant

OpenVPN installed on pfsense router.

My work PC can now connect to my home LAN from WAN side.

I can ping my NAS and other resources on my home LAN

Q: How do I monut my NAS share as a drive?

Message 6 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@littomalt wrote:

OpenVPN installed on pfsense router.

My work PC can now connect to my home LAN from WAN side.

I can ping my NAS and other resources on my home LAN

Q: How do I mount my NAS share as a drive?

Once you've connected to your home network with OpenVPN, you mount the NAS share the same way you mount it at home.

That is, you can mount it via file explorer, or you can mount it with net use (from CMD).

Message 7 of 16
littomalt
Aspirant

StephenB

It work like a charm. Thanks!

I used:

net use m: \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\Share /user:login pasword

Next thing, to make the net use run when PC starts. Is this possible to add in config file from OpenVPS client?

Message 8 of 16
littomalt
Aspirant

StephenB

By the way, Kudos button dont work for me, her is 10x kudos!

Message 9 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@littomalt wrote:

Next thing, to make the net use run when PC starts. Is this possible to add in config file from OpenVPS client?

Here's an older guide, but I believe it would work from Windows 10.  https://www.ovpn.com/en/blog/windows-run-openvpn-automatically-on-computer-startup/

For the mapped drive itself, you can use the /p flag option to make it persistent.

FWIW, I don't either - I don't always need my laptop connected to my home network, so I launch it manually.

Message 10 of 16
littomalt
Aspirant

Hi,

I have now acces to shares via OpenVPN, and it seems to work like a main access to all shares. Depend only on the net use command,

ie.

net use m: \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\Modesty

I have a work directory i ONLY want to share \\Modesty\Work

If i use this command on a remote it only shows WORK

net use m: \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\Modesty\Work

But if user try

net use m: \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\Modesty

He will get access

How do I set this permission for user/group?

Message 11 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@littomalt wrote:

I have now acces to shares via OpenVPN, and it seems to work like a main access to all shares.

OpenVPN connects the remote client PCs to your home network.  So you do need to make sure you have appropriate security on your home network devices if you allow others to access your network in this way.  Also you need to have some level of trust in the remote users.

To start with, you need at least one more local NAS account that you can give more limited access.  If you have multiple remote users, you should create one account for each (putting them in new group).  Using a new group will allow you the ability to revoke access for a specific user later by simply deleting their account on the NAS.

You control the access to shares using the Network Access tab in each of the share settings.  Turn off "Everyone" access for all the shares.  Give the admin and user groups access to all the shares, and give the new "work" group access only to the work share.  Generally it works out better to leave the file access permissions alone (allowing everyone access for all shares).  Network access is enough to block access to a share.

Testing the permissions from a single PC is a bit tricky, since Windows only allows you to use one set of credentials at a time.  Entering "net use * /delete" before you test a new set of credentials should clear out any open sessions - letting you switch to a different set.

Message 12 of 16
littomalt
Aspirant

My problem is that I need to have only one share, due to my cloud backup supplier, i can bakup only one drive from a PC like m: (where share Modesty is populated). And my backup suplier dont have any NAS app or rsync options... they have only bye a singe drive.

My ONLY share is Modesty.

Under Modesty I have a dir called Work. \\Modesty\Work

For this Work dir I can not, in OS6 set any group/user policy (rigth click on dir Work).

Is this an option that is solvable in OS6, or du I need a dir on same level as Modesty ie. \\modesty and \\Work?

Message 13 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@littomalt wrote:

My ONLY share is Modesty.

Under Modesty I have a dir called Work. \\Modesty\Work

Modesty is the NAS hostname - not a share.  Work would be the (only) share.  This is the normal syntax - it would be the same if you were hosting the share on the PC.

@littomalt wrote:

For this Work dir I can not, in OS6 set any group/user policy (rigth click on dir Work).

Well, you don't do it that way.  As I said, you use the admin web ui.  Click on the share settings wheel for work, and then look on the "network access" page.  

Though first you'd need to create an account for the remote system to use. 

What cloud backup provider are you using?

Message 14 of 16
littomalt
Aspirant

Hi again,

Here is rigth click on Work directory (\\Modesty\Work)

As you can see,on my NAS there is no wheel on directories under Share. And this is the reason i don'n figure out how to configure shares access to a directory in a share. Is there other options to fix this (without make a new share?)

Message 15 of 16
StephenB
Guru

You appear to have selected "Browse", not "Shares" on the share page.  There is no right-click involved.  Select the share, click on the settings wheel for the share, and choose "settings".

share-list.png

Then you'll see a popup - select the "Network access" tab there.

Network Access.png

If you want to restrict read access, you'll uncheck "Allow anonymous access", and also remove read/write access for "Everyone".  You can then select access for the specific account or group you want to allow (perhaps read access is enough)?

A variant is to leave reset "Everyone" to "read" - which would let anyone on the home network or openvpn connection read the share.  In that case, you could leave "allow anonymous" set if you want (trusting in your home network and openvpn security).

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements