× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Mountain Lion Compatibility

mattebury
Aspirant

Has this version been tested on Mountain Lion? Don't want to update to ML until I know for sure 4.1.10 is compatible with ML.

BTW, I just updated to 4.1.10
Message 101 of 113
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes it would've been tested with Mountain Lion.

Having said that before updating to Mountain Lion it wouldn't hurt to do a backup of your system. That way if you find you don't like Mountain Lion yet you could go back Lion.
Message 102 of 113
eriddler
Aspirant

Mattebury, I'll give 4.1.10 a go with ML and let you know in this post...since I noticed this morning AFP dropped off-line again with ML 10.8.2. Good stuff Apple and Netgear...
Message 103 of 113
ak72
Aspirant

eriddler wrote:
mdgm wrote:
4.1.8 is old firmware now. Please update to 4.1.10 (http://www.readynas.com/RAIDiator_4_1_10_Notes) and see if this helps.

Yep old firmware, that works just fine with 10.8.2. Not inclined to switch to 4.1.10 unless I know there aren't issues with AFP reconnect or share ownership...thanks.

Still after upgrading to 4.1.10 AFP disappears and Time Machine cannot find NAS. So that problem is not solved on that firmware. If I want to connect to NAS via AFP have to reboot Mac. Still hoping that Netgear can solve this OS X problem.
Message 104 of 113
mchards
Aspirant

4.1.10 and 10.8.2 didn't fix the NAS visibility over WiFi issue for me. It did fix a mounted NAS share unmounting on a fast user switch or move to the Login Window.
Message 105 of 113
eriddler
Aspirant

So far no issues with one Sleep reconnect to AFP. The iMac is connected via ethernet right now, I'll switch to Wifi later today to see how that works out.
Message 106 of 113
mrichmon
Aspirant

System:
Mac Mini running 10.8.2 (previously running 10.7.x, this is an upgrade install of 10.8.x)
Mac Mini is configured to never sleep
ReadyNAS Pioneer Pro running RAIDiator 4.2.21
Single NFS export from ReadyNAS
Flat network through two Netgear 5 port switches (ie all wired, no WiFi)

NFS configured to auto mount using auto_fs with "-host" rule.

Prior to 10.8 this configuration was stable. After updating to 10.8 I get server disconnection errors from the Finder. Other times I get the NFS file operation wedging and never completing but sending iTunes into an unresponsive state. Force-quit of iTunes will immediately raise the server disconnection error.

The iTunes XML library is stored on the Mac Mini's local hard drive. Only the mp3 files are stored on NFS.

Rebooting will often have NFS operations time out. Rebooting with the "/net" line in /etc/auto_master commented out, followed by uncommenting that line and running "sudo automount -vc" to re-read the configuration will allow terminal access to /net/nasname/files to work. Finder access will then work briefly before this problem comes up again.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to fix this?

PS: I would prefer to avoid having to move this data over to an iSCSI volume on the ReadyNAS. But if that is the only way to get this working I can make that switch. (Edited to add this PS.)
Message 107 of 113
eriddler
Aspirant

mrichmon, sorry not smart enough for your issue. But did want to report that I've run the iMac on WiFi all day with a couple sleeps and haven't had issues with reconnects. AFP / Mac OS X 10.8.2 / ReadyNAS Duo 4.1.10
Message 108 of 113
rickbarrett
Aspirant

My ReadyNAS Duo's seem to be working on ML but when I used FrontView to try to update from 4.1.9 to 4.1.10 it doesn't find any update available.http://www.readynas.com/forum/posting.php?mode=reply&f=28&t=64805#
Message 109 of 113
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It should find the update. Try clearing your web browser cache (such as Temporary Internet Files in Internet Explorer), close your web browser then reopen Frontview

You can do a local update if you like: http://www.ReadyNAS.com/RAIDiator_4_1_10_Notes
Message 110 of 113
mchards
Aspirant

My confidence with D-Link routers is still shaky. I found that turning on multicast messed up Duo visibility with my wife's MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard and didn't fix my iMac on Mountain Lion. I turned it back off and things were still not totally right. But after a restart or two of the router, both Macs have been successfully making and maintaining connections to the Duo for about a week. I was about to go all DD-WRT on the D-Link. I'll wait a while longer to see if things are stable.

Edit on 6 Oct: Another week and only one instance of failing to mount the Time Machine sparsebundle on the Duo. I'm not sure why it's stable but I'm not going to mess with it.
Message 111 of 113
ak72
Aspirant

I'm getting tired of Netgear support to Duo v1, still no working firmware to Mountain Lion 10.8.2 problems. All the time AFP disconnects and TIme Machine stops working. Going to buy different brand NAS to get better support and better devices !
Message 112 of 113
kossboss
Guide

Check out this LINK: viewtopic.php?f=71&t=65411&p=387532#p387532

But here is the main point

If anyone gets issues with Time Machine and mountain line connecting.
I have tested with the following Hardware READNYAS ULTRA on 4.2.22 with Mountain Lion OSX 10.8.2 I was able to get Time Machine to connect to the Share (for 3 hours I didnt see the READYNAS on Timemachine on the Mac, everything was set right on the MAC and on the NAS). The Problem was that we had a Router in between a Layer 3 device blocking Bonjour Communication with the MAC PC. The trick was to connect directly into the PC or get a switch in between. The solution to all of you having issues not seeing the NAS is to:
(a) have bonjour Enabled and AFP was on - I forgot to check if we needed to have a connected session via AFP from the PC - but most likely not, it just needs bonjour
(b) dont have any layer 3 devices in between (routers, wifi from routers - isntead get an access point connected to a switch)
(c) plug directly into a switch or the pc with the readynas and it works
Bonjour is a layer 2 type of broadcast so it cant get past router and wifi from routers, or thru computers - anything layer 3 is bad for it.

What did not work:

INTERNET
|
Router--PC1
|
Readnyas

What worked - half of a solution:

$ and ~ meaning a wired or wifi connection (where wifi is on the router)

Internet
|
Router~~~~PC2(cant talk to the readynas via timemachine but with proper routes on the router and pcs you can get other things to work - thus not a good implimentation)
$
PC1(can talk to the readynas)
|
Readynas (now Readynas can only talk with PC1, if you had other pcs on the network connected to the router it wouldnt work because there would be at least 1 layer 3 device in between)

The above is only good if you need 1 computer to access the READYNAS (and no external access to the NAS via port forwards etc.). Timemachine will work great because there is 0 layer 3 devices in between.
If PC2 wanted to talk to the READYNAS time machine it wouldnt work because there is 2 layer 3 devices in between - the router and PC1

THE BEST IMPLENTATION HANDS DOWN:
need a router - the same one does fine, need a Switch, and for wireless need an Access Point (the wifi on the router is a layer 3 type of communication, we need to make it layer 2, access points are layer 2 wireless)

Remember Wifi on routers 99% of the time are layer 3 type of Wifi, and Accesspoint wireless is layer 2. The PC and routers are layer 3. Switches are Layer2. When I say READYNAS(layer3) to SWITCH(layer2) to PC(layer3) that is only a layer 2 device in between (the readynas is a layer 3 device and the PC is a layer 3 device, but they are not in between the communication stream so it doesnt hurt). Another good communication Stream READYNAS(layer3) to SWITCH(layer2) to ACCESS POINT(layer2) to PC(layer3) = this type of communication will work because there are only layer 2 devices in between 🙂 The layer 3 devices on the end points dont count. Remember its whats in between that matters.

Again to Recap:

bad: READYNAS-ROUTER-PC
bad: READYNAS-ROUTER-WIFI-PC
bad: READYNAS-ROUTER-SWITCH-PC
bad: READYNAS-ROUTER-ACCESSPOINT-PC

good: READYNAS - SWITCH - PC
good: READYNAS - SWITCH - ACCESS POINT - PC
good: READYNAS - PC

So with that here is the Best Solution:

INTERNET
|
ROUTER
|
SWITCH----Access point
|
|
READYNAS

PC1 and PC2 can connect wired to the Switch or wirelessly to the Access Point and everything will work, time machine will be found becuase bonjour will be discovered.

I hope this helps all of you having issues with NAS to Timemachine Device Not found issues.
Message 113 of 113
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements