× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Mounted NAS drive doesn't allow to change permissions even after trying chmod, chown, chattr

Mateesh
Aspirant

Mounted NAS drive doesn't allow to change permissions even after trying chmod, chown, chattr

So, I want to install a mariadb docker on my Netgear NAS (4 x 1 TB RAID array). I have mounted the NAS on my local server and was trying to install docker on it. Unfortunately, I am not able to install anything on the mounted drive as it is giving the error of 'operation denied'.

I checked the owner of the mounted drive and it's showing nobody/nobody. While mounting my drive I had given read/write access to all users so why is it still not allowing me to install files on the mounted drive?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Model: RN214D41|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (4x 1TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Mounted NAS drive doesn't allow to change permissions even after trying chmod, chown, chattr

How is file access set up on the NAS?

Message 2 of 6
Mateesh
Aspirant

Re: Mounted NAS drive doesn't allow to change permissions even after trying chmod, chown, chattr

Read/write access given to everyone.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Can you copy files onto the mounted drive as normal?

What OS are you running on the PC?

Message 4 of 6
Mateesh
Aspirant

Yes, I can copy files normally. It's only during installation that files don't get copied. I tried manually copying the files onto the mounted drive and changed the path in MariaDB configuration file to the directory in Z: (mounted drive) but it still doesn't work.

OS- CentOS 7

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Did you try a test installation of something else?  

FWIW, I googled your problem, and found a similar issue with Windows ( https://forums.docker.com/t/unable-to-run-docker-containers-on-a-different-drive-than-system-drive/4... ).  Obviously that is OS specific, but I am thinking you might want to rule out an issue in docker itself or MariaDB.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements