× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Moving disks from RN102 to RN212

peterkin
Guide

Moving disks from RN102 to RN212

I'm sorry if this question has already been raised but if it has I've not been able to find it.

I currently have an RN102 running OS 6.9.1 with a pair of WD Red 2TB drives in it. I'm considering buying an RN212 to get better write speed (I run VMs which are stored on the NAS).

If I were to buy a diskless RN212, would I be able to take the disks from my RN102, drop them straight into the RN212 and get a working system? This would be a lot quicker than restoring the data from my nightly backups onto the new system. If it's possible, what steps would I need to take, especially if the firmware on the RN212 isn't fully up to date?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Moving disks from RN102 to RN212

@peterkin wrote:

If I were to buy a diskless RN212, would I be able to take the disks from my RN102, drop them straight into the RN212 and get a working system?

Yes.  If the firmware in the NAS flash and the disks is mismatched, then the RN212 will make it consistent by taking the newest.  That is to say, that if the RN212's flash is newer, it will update the disks from the flash; and if the disks are newer, it will update it's flash from the disks.

If you use plex, the RN102's version should be able to run on the RN212 (the RN212 version supports video transcoding).  You can likely just reinstall the correct .deb file for plex after migration.  Or just uninstall it before you migrate, and then reinstall it afterwards.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@peterkin wrote:

If I were to buy a diskless RN212, would I be able to take the disks from my RN102, drop them straight into the RN212 and get a working system?

Yes.  If the firmware in the NAS flash and the disks is mismatched, then the RN212 will make it consistent by taking the newest.  That is to say, that if the RN212's flash is newer, it will update the disks from the flash; and if the disks are newer, it will update it's flash from the disks.

If you use plex, the RN102's version should be able to run on the RN212 (the RN212 version supports video transcoding).  You can likely just reinstall the correct .deb file for plex after migration.  Or just uninstall it before you migrate, and then reinstall it afterwards.

Message 2 of 3
peterkin
Guide

Thanks! I've ordered one.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements