× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Moving drives to new NAS

joe_schmo
Tutor

Moving drives to new NAS

If I have drives in an RN426, can I shut it down a nd move them to a new RN428?

Would that work without losing data?

Model: RN426| ReadyNAS High-performance Business Data Storage - 6-Bays
Message 1 of 6
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Moving drives to new NAS

Hi @joe_schmo

Yes it will work, You can migrate a volume from one ReadyNAS OS 6 storage system to another, as long as you migrate every disk in the volume.

More explanation on this article.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 6
joe_schmo
Tutor

Thanks for this...

So when I get the new NAS, i just make sure they are both powere off and I put the drives in the new NAS before I turn it on for the first time?  I just don't want to risk losing my volume...

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@joe_schmo wrote:

So when I get the new NAS, i just make sure they are both powere off and I put the drives in the new NAS before I turn it on for the first time? 

Yes.  Preserve the slot order - it's not strictly necessary, but it can aid in troubleshooting later on.

Message 4 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Note if your NAS is holding the primary copy of important data then you should backup that data regularly. Regardless of which device you are using and what RAID configuration you're using backups are key.

You may wish to backup the important data on your RN428 to your RN426 going forward.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm-ntgr wrote:

You may wish to backup the important data on your RN428 to your RN426 going forward.

I agree that NAS-NAS backup is a good approach (and one I use myself).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements